“Love it .. I would highly recommend this place”

Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We just spent a week at the Wilderness and we loved it. We got a one room suite in the River Lodge. We had a full kitchen, Den with murphy bed, two bathrooms, two queen beds and a bunk bed. We took food to cook in the room, as I know that the restaurants can get pricey at times. If you don't get the full kitchen, there is a small fridge, sink and microwave in most rooms. There was someone above us jumping and really loud one night. I called the front desk and they stated that they would send security up there. In no time, the noise quit. Everyone that I met was so friendly and helpful. It is a resort, so yes it was crowded a little. But it was so worth it for the kids and parents. I would suggest taking your own food, and getting the all stay all access passes for the adventure forest. My kids loved that .. My family can't wait to go back!

1  Thank eglittle
Write a ReviewReviews (2,733)

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Extremely Poor Customer Service and Other Issues
We stayed at this facility and I paid close to $5000 for a 7 day 6 night stay and we had nothing but trouble from the time we checked in. The rooms were not cleaned and the bed sheets were not changed every day. On the 3rd day, we returned from Gatlinburg at midnight and we were locked out of the Hotel and our rooms. A security guard had to let us in the building and we had to have new keys made and we had 7 children. Apparently, the front desk “made a simple mistake” and forgot to key our rooms for our entire stay. Then on day 5, the fire detector went off in our room for no reason at 1 am in the morning and we had to stay on the balcony because it was “so loud our kids were crying and so distressed”. We called the front desk 3 times and after 30 minutes (in which time we would have burned up it there had been a fire) before a security guard came who did not speak English and she said it was from smoke (there was no smoke) and she opened all our doors. The alarm did not go off and we called 4 more times (and 45 minutes later) and finally the security guard came back and we had to tell her to call the fire department because they could not reach the “maintenance director” to turn it off. They finally called the fire department who came after another 20 minutes and they were so upset because no one called them before and they said the fire alarm system was defective and was not working correctly. They then decided that due to a “safety issue” they had to move us to another room but no rooms were available (Eleven people with 7 young children now at 3 am in the morning). They then moved us 1 mile up the road at 3 am and we had to have new keys made and everything. They told me that due to the issue they would comp the night and would cover our stay and just talk to the Guest Relations manager (see our video on you tube Brett Book). Well apparently that was not the case, as the Case Manager stated he was not going to compensate me for the stay due to it being a “safety issue.” I was very upset about this and told him I disagreed with this and wanted to talk to a manager and write a formal complaint and he told me I could not do it because it was a privately owned facility and the only complaint I could give was to him. I asked to talk to his boss and he smiled and said I did not and he was not going to contact him. I told him I have never seen such poor customer service and that I did not agree with him and he “threatened to call Security” because I disagreed with him and due to my tone. I never once raised my voice and never said anything to him and I told him I live in America and paid $5000 for this room and I have a right to complain about this incident but he did not think this was the case and said I had to show him respect. I again advised him I am the customer and he should respect me but he apparently did not agree with this. I have never been so mistreated by a Guest Relations in a resort (especially one I spent so much money on for my Daughter’s birthday). The Guest Relations manager was on a power trip and he did not care (snickering and laughing many times in front of his front desk staff) and did not care about their service at all. I highly recommend that you do not stay in this hotel. The water park is fun inside for the kids but you can get better resort services at other resorts in the area and/or at your own cabin. I also recommend you visit Splash mountain in which you will get better water park service. Also, the floors were dirty and unclean, the bar made poor drinks, the food was poor quality, but the worse is the customer service!! Don’t stay because you will regret it!!!

19  Thank Christopher B
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My family came up here on a spur of the moment mini vacation( only stayed one night) and it was so much fun!!! Check in time is at 4 but you can still play in the water park before that and check out time is 11 and you can play all day after that!!! So many attractions to chose from. Rides and activities for ALL ages...babies to the elderly! I really liked that we didn't have to leave at all. We had breakfast lunch and dinner all in the same place. We had a couple people tell is that the buffet was no good so we went to the grizzly grill for burgers and pizza and it was great! The rooms we small but clean and neat. I recommend staying in the part of the resort connected to the indoor waterpark...it's easy acess to the larger of the 2 outdoor waterparks and the indoor waterpark and arcade. It was a fantastic trip and I WILL be back!!! I recommend anyone to take the time for this trip!

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Kids loved the swimming. But for parents everything was frustrating. Had to park half mile from hotel room. Got locked out of our room and front desk was not nice about it. Fire alarm went off while cooking and stayed on for 30 min before anyone showed up. Alarm Stayed on for an hour before fire department showed to turn off. Came back on said it was defective and made us switch rooms at 2am. Came back next morning and talked to manager and he was a complete jerk. We will never stay here again.

4  Thank B B
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I must say the room was very clean, no sign of any critters. We are in a room with a full kitchen and Murphy bed. We wanted a full kitchen so we could cook our meals, and woke up ready to have a pancake breakfast--which would be great if we had anything here to cook the pancakes in. The buffet is regular Southern food but extremely expensive ($18.99 per adult), so we'll either eat out or buy something to cook in.
Other than that, it's a good time. The water parks are fun, but the noise level in the hotel can be extremely high until 11pm. The mattresses aren't the highest quality, but they're clean. We'll stay here again, but we'll bring pots and pans.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed at this resort (River Lodge) a few years ago and thought it was better than Great Wolf in North Carolina and Kalahari in Ohio. Recently, my daughter's AAU team stayed here during tournaments and the girls had a ball! My only recommendation would be to request a one bedroom deluxe on the 2nd or 3rd floor with a view of the outdoor water park, which was the room I had during my first visit. On this visit, I had a one bedroom deluxe on the 1st floor with a view of the parking lot (no view at all). The furniture was a bit worn in this room but I figure that's because the room is closer to the indoor waterpark so the room gets a little more wear and tear. Overall, this resort is great and I hope management continues to maintain it.

Room Tip: Request rooms on 2nd or 3rd floors with view of outdoor waterpark
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We took our nephews there ages 14 and 12 and we had a great time. The rooms are nice. My only complaint was that the bathroom was really small and the sink area was in the room instead of in the bathroom. The outdoor and indoor water parks were fun and offered different things to do. Our nephews also liked the rope course at the adventure park. We really liked that the water parks were for guests only so it wasn't over crowded and lines weren't long at all. Great place to stay!

Room Tip: Book a room at the lodge which is right there at the water parks. Some of the suites and cabins are...
2  Thank Andi7777
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
#2 of 20 in Sevierville
Quality Inn & Suites River Suites
5 mi away
Hampton Inn & Suites Pigeon Forge On The Parkway

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!