“Best water park & Hotel EVER!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wilderness at the Smokies Resort

Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
“Best water park & Hotel EVER!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

The rooms are so clean and has the feel of a Cabin.. The water park is exceptional!!! It has indoor and outdoor parks!!! The lazy river was great. The indoor water park was awesome!! The kids spent the most time in the wave pool.. I enjoyed lounging in the chairs next to the water with my feet in the water.. The kids also enjoyed the slides.. And the arcade was very fun!! It was very very crowded!! It wasn't an outrageous price either!! I am defanantly going back soon!!!

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank ppruett83

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Thai first
Johns Creek, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I can't remember her name when I called, but upon departure (after a fabulous trip with my husband, 4 yr old twins and 6 yr old), I left the kids' swim suits, cover- ups, and 1 pair of my sons' shorts in a drawer in our room. Obviously I really needed this stuff back! When I realized my mistake the following day after getting home to Atlanta, I reluctantly called to see if they had been turned into lost and found. Honestly, I thought the call would prove fruitless since my prior experience with other hotels is that they simply get rid of anything left behind by guests. The lady I spoke with immediately checked into this for me and called me back within 2 hours with good news! I received all the clothes 3 days later at my home in Atlanta via priority mail. The best $18 ever spent! THANK YOU for taking such good care of our stuff and getting it back to me so quickly! SO PLEASED! :)

Room Tip: If you have little ones, stay as close to the front check in office as you can to avoid a long walk...
Fieldale, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My family and I love coming to Wilderness every year! The staff is amazing and for the price, you can't beat the deal. You get 3 awesome waterparks and a nice hotel room for one low price! My kids are 12 and 13 and we have been coming for 3 years now. My husband and I love all of the lifeguards because they really are there for the safety of your kids and keep a good control on everything. Everywhere you look, there is a lifeguard. I do wish that the rooms were a little bigger. By the time you pull out the sofa sleeper, you can hardly walk around the room. Which we were in our room very little so it wasn't a big deal. Overall, I will continue to come back until my kids get tired of it (although it doesn't seem to be anytime soon)!!

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony that are right outside of the waterpark are very noisy but they have great view...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sara D
Canton, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

The family and I had a great time! I've went twice! They have 3 water parks (1 indoor, 2 outdoor) clean and nice hotels and room. Pricey restaurants I have to say! SOOOO MUCH FUN! Amazing waterslides! the villas are amazing if you want something private! GO HERE!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: get a villa for more privacy!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Teetah_P
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is an awesome weekend get-away. All you need is 2 to 3 days at this park before it becomes redundant. However those initial days will be exciting and relaxing. The accommodations were clean, modern and well appointed. The pool and slides were numerous and adventurous. The "Vortex" is a must-do for any adventure loving, thrill seeker. We will definitely visit again!

1 Thank Innov8ive
Ashland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Very clean, nice staff, and very gorgeous area. Waterpark was awesome, the wave pool has intense waves, make sure your child has a life jacket or is a strong swimmer. We had a 2 bdrm suite, it was luxurious, and roomy! Definitely recommend for a family vacation! We will be back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Danielle P
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Facilities:
-LOTS of fun things to do
-Rooms well insulated and quiet despite loud families in adjacent rooms, you could tell they were screaming at their kids etc, but could barely hear a muffled noise through the walls. Not loud enough to wake anyone up.
-Blackout curtain separates the kitchen area from the murphy bed/sleepers sofa area is REALLY effective. if people are quiet at the table, kids can sleep soundly on the other side of the curtain. Also the door to adjacent rooms is on the kitchen side so you can slip quietly into the adjacent rooms if you have reserved them as well. Once the door is closed, again, it's very quiet.
-tons of stuff to do for kids of all ages and swimming ability. Indoor pool and dry activities are diverse and fun!
-Close to some other fun stuff too like scenic helicopter tours etc, but outside the main traffic areas.

-shuttle up to salamander springs seemed to have a little bit too long of a wait for my tastes, I wish I had just driven back and forth, even with the parking and walking from lots, would have saved us plenty of time.

****-first floor cell phone reception was not good, no 4g, slow for our phones to text over 3g and 1x and sometimes would not connect calls, have to sit close to a window to get 3g. On the 3rd floor 4g reception is great. WIRELESS internet connection is VERY slow.
****-Elevators are very slow and there are not enough of them! - on the day that we stayed on the 3rd floor we took the stairs every time unless we had something to carry up other than our kids, it was a total joke, they almost might as well have not had them there at all. 20 minute wait for an elevator at times.

-Service

****- You're probably asking, why did they stay on the 3rd and 1st floors? Well, we knew the 1st floor was the best. You either have your own entry to the parking lot from the balcony of the non-kitchen rooms, or you have your own entry to the water park from the patio of the same rooms. WE CALLED 4 TIMES to ensure that we would be given a first floor room, including 3 times the week we came up, and the night before checkin. We arrived 2 hours early for check-in, and a friendly, Ukranian lady assured us we were on the first floor, although her command of English was very weak. The front desk staff had that problem more than once for us, another Asian man had trouble understanding a later request. So after checking in we went out to lunch with our keycards awaiting the text that our rooms were ready. Promptly at 4pm we got our text that our rooms were ready so we went to get into our rooms, only to find that we were assigned to the 3rd floor. By the time we had gotten out of the restaurant, to the hotel, with all our gear and realized this problem and got to the desk, it was almost 5. We noticed a man in a tie leaving. Shanna, who really didn't want to help us any, because we got a promotional rate, was at the front desk, and told us that there were no more 1st floor rooms left, and that they could try to get us a first floor room for the next day but they could do nothing more for us. She told us that there WAS NOT A MANAGER on site. I was in disbelief that barely an hour after check-in began there would not be a manager... after making enough noise about how ridiculous that is, she admitted that there WAS a manager, just not a front desk manager. Chris, the manager on duty, checked into things, and actually got us some rooms assigned. He was friendly and concerned, but not able to resolve the problem or compensate us for anything. They wanted us to check out, put our bags in our cars, and then check in later. (With all our groceries as well.) He said that our rooms were not guaranteed, and actually could not even guarantee that our old rooms would not be given away before we checked into the new rooms. After we told him that was unacceptable, He told us that he would try to get us an early checkin to our new rooms and a late checkout to our old rooms so that we would not have to check out all our bags and put them in the car for 5 hours in between. He said we would have to speak with the manager in the morning, and hopefully we would get the rooms that they assigned us, but they would not tell us the room numbers. They said that the rooms are owned by individuals, and if those individuals wanted to they could show up and want to stay in their rooms and we would have to be re-assigned. In the morning we met Brett Book, the manager we saw leaving around 5 the day before. Somehow he ended up helping a guest after us in line before us, but when he got to us he was very friendly and empathetic. He got us our new room keys, listened to our complaints and requests, and granted our request for a 4pm checkout on our last day to make up for the hours (realistically about 3-3,5 hrs) spent dealing with customer service and moving all of our stuff and our food from the kitchen.
****- Brett was in close contact with housekeeping, they knew immediately that we needed our rooms ready, seemed to know who we were and rolled out the red carpet for us our entire stay. they were some of the most friendly and well-spoken housekeeping staff I've ever had.

Overall, despite some poor service in the beginning, they seemed to try really hard to make things right for us, and although the experience wasn't perfect either in facility or service, it was very fun, with a clean place to stay and overall very good service. Special thanks to Brett Book, front desk manager for getting things fixed for us, and kudos to the housekeeping staff. We just might return (and that's saying something from the rough start we got.)

(Oh, one more little note - I happened to witness a very young girl get a severe hand injury playing ski-ball. She may have ended up losing a fingertip. I'm not sure what kind of first aid she got, but I will say that there was a large crowd of staff that seemed to be very concerned with the blood drops everywhere, but didn't seem at all concerned with what happened to the little girl or if she would be ok. Honestly it looked like a freak accident I didn't see how she did it, but saw her hand and the blood. Her dad was giving me the mind your own d*** business look until he saw the freaked out look on my face and went to his daughter's aid. The blood was cleaned up very quickly and thoroughly though.That wasn't the best impression, but there seemed to be tons of staff present, especially lifeguards, everywhere. I did NOT fear for my childrens' safety ever, even in this big place with some big waves and slides.)

Room Tip: First floor - Pool/water park side. This will be a 11xxE number, with the x being any number, the 2n...
1 Thank Briansfood
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
The Inn at Christmas Place
The Inn at Christmas Place
#2 of 90 in Pigeon Forge
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,957 reviews

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!