“Huge ripoff, unsanitary, and HORRIBLE customer service!!”

and 1 more site!
Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Fairview, Tennessee
“Huge ripoff, unsanitary, and HORRIBLE customer service!!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We checked into Wilderness at the Smokies at nearly 6 pm with our 6 children. On the way to our room the hallways were lined with huge bags of garbage and pizza boxes. Inside our room, the too bunk was covered in trash (juice boxes and wrappers on the bed posts...) but the beds were made. The cleanliness of the sheets was questionable. We had very little time to play in the water park. We waited for the surf rider (which 2 of my kids and my husband got hurt on, hubby's big toenail is now missing!!) we spent another 15-20 minutes at the first aid station then there was only a few minutes left to play before we closed. 2 steps into the wave pool and a MAXI PAD brushed my leg...the manager (Chris) is very rude and lacks customer service skills. I could go on but long story short, save your money and go to Oak Tree Lodge. They have a little water park and much nicer rooms there for half the price!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
15 Thank KerrieC85

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (733)
  • Thai first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed here last week with my mom and brother. The company she works for chose this hotel for their yearly incentive trip (if we had paid to stay here we would have been even MORE disappointed.)

Location - The location of the hotel is not near anything – driving in the heavy summer traffic, it took nearly 30 mins to get to Pigeon Forge and 45 mins to get to the heart of Gatlinburg. I can understand a resort being in the middle of nowhere when it has amazing views of mountains, but that is not the case. There are hardly any trees growing on the property - it is basically on a large swath of grass (and it's called the Wilderness?)

Hotel - I stayed at the Stone Hill Lodge building of the resort so that is the only place I am qualified to review. The resort is very large and very basic. The lobby was lackluster and they played loud techno/pop music from 8:00 a.m. to well into the night. The music does not match the wilderness theme of the hotel at all and was very bizarre. There is a gift shop in the lobby that sold souvenirs, snacks, and drinks – sunscreen was $14.99 and there was NO milk. I had one drink at the bar that was decent and a vegetable omelet that was less than tolerable. After the breakfast we had, we decided to eat the rest of our meals off property. The parking at the resort is very convenient and the staff were friendly most of the time.

Room – The room is small. Seriously, one of the smallest rooms I have ever stayed in. The bathroom is so small you could barely turn around in it, and the sink was out in the bedroom area on a counter that only one person could stand in front of at a time. It took forever for everyone to get ready due to lack of space. The layout of the room was so strange, no defined spaces – you can tell whoever built this hotel wanted to spend as little money as possible. The bathroom products included shampoo, conditioner, and a bar of soap. I had to go buy q-tips from the gift shop because they don’t provide any – I have been to road side motels that provide q-tips.

Water parks – The big slides were fun but the lazy river had so many people in it you could not even float down it without getting random people’s limbs rubbed against you –GROSS. The parks give you something to do for a few hours, but I cannot imagine a person that would want to spend their entire vacation at these “water parks”. The pool at the Stone Hill Lodge was very loud and crowded and had two slides. There are no quiet pools or adult pools.

Overall, I would not stay at this hotel ever again. It lacks amenities and seems to try and cover this up with the promise of fun water parks that leave you wishing you would have picked another place to stay. Unless you have several children who enjoy staying in pools all day, and don’t mind being extremely cramped in your room - I would not recommend choosing this hotel.

3 Thank erinmibon
Tennessee
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We live close and still love this hotel. My husband and I found ourselves with a weekend without kids. I just wanted to pack up and get away. We were trying to find a last minute room in Pigeon Forge. As we started calling around, we found the rates were very high for the weekend. I told him I just wanted to sit out by the pool so we were looking for a room with a nice pool. After several phone calls, I decided to see how much the rooms were at the Wilderness....I knew the pool was great there. We found the rooms were almost the same price as a basic hotel room. We booked the weekend to stay here. After we checked in, we felt bad because there was so much to do and the kids weren't with us. We called and had the kids come join us. If you have kids, this is such a great place to take them. If you have a full weekend planned, you may not want to take them here. They will definately not want to leave. This isn't somewhere you just stay and check out the next morning....you need to plan a few days to enjoy everything the wilderness has to offer. It is great for us adults to just relax and float in the lazy river too!

Room Tip: The Stone Hill Lodge is cheaper and has an outdoor water park. The Riverstone Lodge has the indoor...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
New Freeport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We checked in and spent 4 days at this hotel- The kids loved the waterpark. We stayed at the Stone Hill Lodge section. The room was cramped for 5 people even though it is supposed to sleep 6. There was only on 3 draw dresser and the entire time we were there the floors were not swept, bathroom cleaned and the last full day there they didn't even bother to make the beds. It was a nice water park and the kids enjoyed it, however I feel it was overpriced for the service we got with the rooms, at 250.00 a night not including the taxes and fees daily- you would expect better.

1 Thank Btriple1
Cherokee, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We just got back, such a great time. The waterparks were awesome, well worth the money. Since u get to use tne parks all day even after u check out. All the rides were working alot of fun. The only thing that bother me was for coffee and Orange Juice was over $5 dollars for breakfast.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jed C
Kentucky
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This resort is very large. We stayed in the River Lodge which is the hotel that has the indoor waterpark. They also have the Stone Hill Lodge and the Villas. We stayed in the Murphy/Kitchen suite. It had a fully equipped kitchen, a living room area with a fireplace, and a pull down murphy bed. I was afraid that this bed would be very uncomfortable, but it was OK. Not one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, but it was OK. The only drawback to this room as that it didn't have anywhere to put your clothes (it did have a very small closet) but there were no chests or drawers anywhere. We just kept things in our suitcases. Bathroom was pretty large. We had an adjoining room with our kids and grandkids and they have a 2 Queen bed room which was adequate. It had a stovetop, microwave & refrigerator.

There are plenty of things for the kids to do. Even if you just stayed in the waterparks all day, between the lazy river, the slides, the wave pools, the "dump bucket" as my youngest grandson said, they will be occupied and plenty worn out by the end of the day. If you wanted to spring for a little extra fun for them, the kids also really enjoyed Adventure Forest. They have a ropes course, lazer maze, bowling, mini golf, rock climbing wall, that kept them all occupied for a long time. You can buy an "all day" pass or an "all stay" pass.

We stayed for 3 nights, we did not encounter any rude or unfriendly staff. Everyone was most helpful. We did NOT eat at any of the resort restaurants, however, some of my family did get pizza from the stands around the indoor waterpark, and they said it was really good.

Maybe we are not extremely picky people, but my family enjoyed the Wilderness. Hope you have fun too.

Room Tip: We did not want to hear a lot of the traffic coming and going to the pool, so we requested a room on...
1 Thank KYtraveler2
Fall Branch, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 June 2014

There's a little more walking involved than at a smaller hotel but the end result is worth it. The water parks were the attraction for us and our 9yo. grandkids and they tried almost everything! The indoor arcade is also a very nice surprise. We didn't care for the fact that alcohol is sold but on the same hand we didn't notice anyone getting rowdy because of it. We didn't try the restaurant due to reviews and prices but our room included a full kitchen and we brought in our own leftovers and snacks which served us just fine. The furniture in our room was very worn and though the room was not quite as clean as expected it was still a nice, comfortable stay. It was also blissfully quiet at bedtime which was a big plus. We really appreciated that we could continue to use the water park the day of our checkout. That fact alone was a huge sell for us There is even a restroom with showers inside to wash off and change in afterwards. We'll most likely visit again during the off season when rates are significantly lower.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor in a room with full kitchen and fireplace. Loved it but next time will req...
1 Thank Joyfulmomaw04
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
Baymont Inn & Suites Sevierville Pigeon Forge
The Inn On The River
The Inn On The River
#2 of 92 in Pigeon Forge

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!