“Fun, but expensive”

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Duluth, Georgia
“Fun, but expensive”
Reviewed 8 June 2010

The hotel/resort is very nice, well maintained, and fun for kids. It's nice that they provide lifevests, tubes and towels for use at the pools / waterrides. As a healthcare worker, I cannot help but wonder about infection control? The resort is very expensive, but probably worth it, since it has three water attractions and other activities on site. However, watch your bill. Also, they may put unnecessary extra holds on your credit card that take forever to drop off. The housekeepers would change out your dirty towels, but do not restock much else.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Thai first
Tennessee
Reviewed 8 June 2010

I really don't understand where all the complaints are coming from. This place is awesome. Granted, it is expensive but what you are paying for, it is worth it in the long run. The Resort is beautiful. It reminded me of the Wilderness Lodge at Disney World. It was very clean and well kept. We stayed at the condo/lodge and it was very nice. We had the two room deluxe suite. The bedroom- room was a little smaller than I would have liked but it was big enough for our stay and definately had ample bedding for sleep. Our children loved the bunk bed! The waterpark was wonderful. Everyone was friendly and helpful and was there to answer any question or need that we had. I was amazed at how well it maintained. The lazy river was the best I have ever been in and the wave pool was the absolute best I have ever seen!! It was AWESOME!! It was like being in the ocean without the seaweed. We took the van up to the outdoor waterpark at the hotel and the drivers were extremely friendly and pleasant. We never had to wait for a ride, they were constantly dropping off and picking up. Our overall trip was wonderful. Yes, it was somewhat noisy in the halls but my goodness, it is a waterpark resort geared toward children. If you don't like the sound of children enoying themselves, stay at home. The price is a little high, especiall in today's economy, but based on everything else it is no more expensive than anywhere else, when figuring in what all you get. We will definately be going back.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank utvolfans
Maryville, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 June 2010

DON'T DO IT! I live locally and wanted to take a mini vacation over memerial day weekend. Being one of the newest attractions in the Smoky Montains we wanted to try The Wilderness. Boy was that a mistake! At $390 a night (before taxes, $440 after) for the one bedroom deluxe I felt we should have everything we need for a good time. The first sign of trouble was realized after checking in. The elevators are so small that it was all it could handle to fit our family of three and a luggage cart. When the doors closed there was less than 2 inches clearance for the luggage as there was not enough room to turn the cart in the elevator. It may not seem like an issue but remember that everyone checks out at the same time and eventually a line to get into the elevators form as it can only handle one family at a time (maybe). The next sign that this was not the kind of hotel one should get for over $400 a night is when I went to the concierge (actually a Wyndham time share salesman; whole other issue) to find some Tylenol after not finding any in the souvenier shop or deli. After looking in a first aid kit he said he had something in his lunch box if I wanted him to go get it. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! $400 a night and there is not even so much as a Tylenol in the building.

Not allowed to check in until 4 PM it wasn't long before we had to leave the waterpark and eat dinner. There is only one resteraunt in the building which made Shoney's look like a 5 star resteraunt. The hotel offers complete meals delivered to the room, but after going to the buffet resteraunt we realized that the options of the room delivered meals are the same as those on the buffet (pizza, BBQ, chicken, or pasta). Being the trouble maker that my wife is, she actaully ordered a steak off the menu. 45 Minutes later she got her steak and it still was not fully cooked. This was the final straw. At this point I realized I had been ripped off and could not wait to leave.

If you really want to have fun at a water park in the Smokies. Find a really nice hotel and spend your day at Splash Country. The water park is ten times better and there are other places to stay for the same kind of money that knows how to treat people spending hard earned cash.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We stayed here from Wed 5/26 - Sun 5/29 in Stone Hill Lodge. We had a double queen room with sofa sleeper. The room was very spacious and the decor had a nice "wilderness" feel. The comfortable sofa is set in an area at the end of the room with a long coffee table, and there is also a small dining table and two chairs. This makes for a nice living space. The room also had a small fridge, coffee maker and microwave. The room and all the common areas were very clean, and the beds were super comfy. Our son loved the arcades and water parks. This resort is in a great location - 30 min. to Knoxville and just a short drive to Pigeon Forge, Gaitlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains. The service was great and everyone was so friendly. We loved it and would definitely stay here again!

1 Thank DI-mom
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 31 May 2010

My best friend and I wanted to surprise our kids with an end of school year mini-vacation. The Wilderness offered BOGO room rates in the month of May. We stayed at the Riverlodge and it was beautiful. The kids had so much and so did we. This will be a yearly event. My 14 year old son had a ball also. The only negative was the indoor restaurant at the resort. It was not worth the money. We ate better food at other locations in the city. Overall, the Wilderness is the best waterpark resort we've ever visited.

1 Thank lovnlife38
chattanooga tn
Reviewed 28 May 2010

Great place to stay with kids! If you add in the waterpark with your stay a great deal. We lost our key at the waterpark and the associate was right there to help us! No complaints! My son loved the waterpark for almost 2 days for the price of 1 day. The arcade was great! The food was a little over priced but you don't have to eat there it is close to other places to eat. Budget yourself and have all kinds of fun!! We loved it and will be back!! Was afraid to stay there after reading reviews but everyone has good and bad experience with everywhere you stay...

Jonesboro, Arkansas
Reviewed 28 May 2010

I have to say that my kids (2 and 4) LOVED the indoor waterpark. That was the only thing that made our stay here worth it. The hotel is too big for the size of the waterpark and I know that in the busy summer season it would be a miserable trip. Fortunately we were there on a Wednesday night and it wasn't too busy. You can tell a lot of corners were cut to keep the place profitable. The room was an ok size, but it took us half the night to get the room cool enough to be comfortable. The pillows were very tiny and the bedding was scratchy.
Service obviously isn't a big deal at this hotel. There was one girl working at the waterpark who was really sweet, but for the most part we didn't feel like valued guests. Just customers coming and going. There wasn't anyone to help us with our luggage or really even to direct us to where we were going and the only staff we saw was in the waterpark.
There are restaurants onsite and we tried the buffet for dinner. It was mediocre (although my kids loved the mini corndogs) and cost us 50 dollars (even though supposedly the kids eat free). We waited forever for our check and finally I took the kids back to our room and let my husband take care of it.
As far as the waterpark goes, the outdoor one was closed when we were there so we stayed in the whole time. I think my girls could have stayed for 2 days and been perfectly happy playing in the kid areas and the wave pool. It's pretty steamy in the waterpark, so if you are planning on going and watching your kids play, find a shady spot to sit! The park is designed so you can sit inside and still get a tan.

My advice, if you decide to go, is to go during a slow period, eat your meals somewhere other than the hotel and bring your own pillows.

1 Thank lindseyj924
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
The Inn at Christmas Place
The Inn at Christmas Place
#3 of 90 in Pigeon Forge
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,996 reviews

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!