“Especially For You”
Review of Starr Crest Resort

Starr Crest Resort
Reviewed 11 August 2012

My family and I rented the cabin “Especially for You” from Dollywood Vacation Rentals at Starr Crest Resorts. Overall we had a wonderful time, the cabin was awesome and although it was a honeymoon cabin it accommodated me, my wife, and our two sons who are 2 and 6. We chose this cabin because it was the cheapest cabin for the week we wanted to stay on the Dollywood website.
The BAD: The cabin had cobwebs in the kitchen hanging from the ceiling and it had ants that we discovered after my boys left a Capri sun drink pouch on the cabinet overnight. After we wiped up the spills the ants did not return for the remainder of our vacation. The towel warmer in the bathroom was broken, looked like it was burned out and had a DO NOT OPERATE label on it. A couple of tiles on the bathroom floor were cracked but nothing you wouldn’t expect from any other hotel. We had to pull the phone and the bedroom TV remote from under the bed, and found a pair of flip flops in the process. 1 We used the washer/dryer combo on the second day only to find out that the exhaust hose for the dryer had come loose and vented the dryer air into the cabin. All trash needed to be put outside, our cabins trashcan didn’t have a lid, and on more than one occasion we saw local dogs knocking over the cans and pulling trash out.
The GOOD: I saved the good for last because overall the trip was incredible. Despite the setbacks above I would recommend this resort to others and would stay in the same cabin again. The bed was king sized and was more than comfortable. After walking all over Pigeon Forge it was a welcomed site for my wife and I. The cabin was spacious for a one bedroom; cable TV and Wi-Fi internet were provided and worked well. The cabin is wired for surround sound which worked well. The sound system is also wired into the bathroom and the porch; my boys loved listening to the radio while they played in the Jacuzzi tub. The kitchen had new appliances and more than enough cabinet space to accompany the horde of food we brought along. We did not try the gas fireplace or the hot tub though they both looked to be in good working order. The cabin is situated close to Dollywood/Splash Country, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg. My family and I had plenty of room to stretch out and watch the big screen TV in the living room. All the kitchen appliance were clean and in good working order, AC also worked well. It was a beautiful cabin with breath taking views of the Smokey Mountains. I would definitely stay here again and recommend giving this cabin a try, other than a couple of small items our stay was nothing short of spectacular.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 August 2012

I have been renting cabins in the pigeon forge/Gatlinburg for about 6 years now. Every time I would rent a cabin from seeing it on line,,I would be a little disappointed in my view or something else because it looked different on line. The view would always be obstructed by trees...Last summer,,when I was coming down the mountain from our cabin that we rented,,I passed by Starr Crest Resort,,I noticed how nice it looked from the road,,so I turned around and proceeded up the mountain,,,,when I went around the bend and started looking at the cabins ,,I was very impressed,,,so I drove around and found the ones with the best views,,and I wrote them down! So after I got home from vacation,,I looked up the cabin that I wanted from Starr Crest Resort,,I FOUND it,,and I went ahead and reserved it for the next coming summer(which was for this summer 2012) I am glad that I booked in advance,,because by December of last year,,June and July was fully booked! I was so excited to get there to this cabin,because I knew what I was actually getting this time,,and let me tell you,,,I was VERY HAPPY with this cabin!!! The view was AWESOME!!!,, We would sit out on the deck and could actually see people riding the roller coasters at Dollywood! The deck had the most comfortable chairs to sit in,,they all had cushions,,in the past cabins that I rented,,the chairs on the deck were so uncomfortable that we never spent any time out there,,but let me tell you,,THIS SUMMER,,we spent mornings,mid days,,and late nights out on these decks EVERY DAY,,,the deck was my favorite part,,so relaxing,,go take a look at the inside of this cabin,,you will not be disappointed!! The cabin is ran by Dollywood,,so with just one day admission,,you can go to Dollywood EVERY day that you are there,,we stayed 7 days,,and we were able to go EVERY day if we wanted,,and free parking!! I really hated leaving this cabin,,we came with another couple and their daughter,,and my sons,,they all enjoyed this cabin,,my sons said that this was the best cabin that they have ever stayed in without a doubt,, they want me to reserve again for next summer,,and believe me,,I WILL!!!!

Room Tip: Going 4th of July week is AWESOME!! Watching fireworks from the deck is amazing! Bring your bikes an...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TracyEddy
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We rented a cabin called "Almost Perfect" from Outrageous Cabins. After reading so many bad reviews about all different cabins from all different places, I became very nervous about booking a cabin instead of a hotel room. Well, I have to say I am so glad we went with Outrageous Cabins. It was VERY clean and VERY well stocked. I had actually over packed out of fear that the cabin would not have what we would need. The cabin had it all. Never ran out of soap, shampoo, dish soap, towels, etc. There were neat little touches around the cabin like towels folded into swans, a puppy dog, and butterflies. You can tell great care and pride goes into the cabin.

We would spend the day sightseeing and it was HOT, so it was so nice to come back to a cool cabin with an amazing view. We loved to unwind upstairs with the pool table, hot tub, and air hockey. You can hear Dolly's train in the distance and one night we were even surprised with an awesome view of fireworks. And the sunset was incredible.

Our only complaint was there was trouble with the hot water. They did respond to our calls, but it took awhile for them to work the kinks out. Also, the beds are really high. I am really short and it took great effort to climb into the bed. I needed a step stool! LOL! But once I was in the bed, it was one of the most comfortable beds I had ever slept in. If it wasn't for that, "Almost Perfect" would have been "Absolutely Perfect". Other than that, we will definately be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank NYCBroadwaygirl
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We arrived at the cute cabin at the top of the mountain it seemed to find nasty bed linens on all the beds (first thing we always check). Called the main office and they sent a housekeeper to change them wile we went to the park. A piece of walnut from the previous renters was left on the kitchen counter and the shower bottom was nasty. They don't know what Clorox will do. We do not wear shoes in our own home, so we took off our shoes here only to find that we needed to wear our shoes to keep from having black sock bottoms. Very disappointed in the cleanliness. You will pay a $49 reservation fee as well as a $20 hot tub fee. I wouldn't have used that hot tub if they had paid me the $20 since other things had not been cleaned. Other issues were minor. There was an electrical issue with a lamp, air hockey table edge was messed up, and x-box controller didn't work long b/c of a battery issue. We went to Walmart and bought a charger for our use while we were there. Couldn't sleep one night b/c of the party in a cabin across the road. Even though we covered our trashcan well, we had to clean up our trash b/c of a bear. Would I recommend? I guess. Been there, done that. Will not ever go again. I had children aged 2,11,13, and 15...no problem with roominess/fun at the cabin...Park was geared more for the older couples over 50.

Room Tip: Best views are, of course, on the cliff side. Might want to bring a portable gate if you have littl...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Dana M
Reviewed 13 July 2012

This was mine and the hubby's first trip sans kids in about 10 years and he suggested Tennesse...shocking to me, but it was well worth the 8 hour drive. As far as beauty and surroundings go, you can NOT go wrong. We booked a 3 night stay at the Pinnacle Vista Condo 4005 through the Dollywood Vacation Rentals on the Dollywood website, and the condo itself was amazing. From the cleanliness to the size, up to and including the view and the comfortable beds, you could not ask for anything more. There were only problems that are small: both something that management really should take care of. The indoor pool was ice, and i mean ICE cold, It was unusable. You could not possible go into this beautiful thing without getting hypothermia so we decided to use the hot tub, which was lukewarm and none of the jets worked, so it did not circulate the water at all. This caused the water to have a stench that was just awful. What a shame too because both of these facilities were so beautiful and inviting. The only other issue is that they are rebuilding the retaining walls and driveway up to the condo and it is a mess! The workers do not speak English so they were not understanding the fact that my huge truck was not able to turn around on a dime and started throwing road cones when I asked them if i could get up to the parking lot to turn around. The rental place should have warned us of this just so that we could have been aware and maybe we would have been able to park at a different location. (Parking is very very tight in this area). Other than those small issues...ABSOLUTELY no complaints and can not wait until we go back with the kids and show them the joy of Pigeon Forge, Dollywood and the amazing sights...ESPECIALLY the Hatfield and McCoy Dinner Show!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pghmumma
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Dirty, cobwebs on lights, dust under dressser and behind beds, hot tub only heats to 96, burned out lights, bedspead has hole and is worn, vacuum broken, majority of handle gone, cracked kitchen window, dishwasher missing wheel, wooden valances for windows in closet, whole house stero not working, bathroom vents need cleaning and vacuuming, microwave panel broken, just problem after problem. Other items not mentioned, but owner is aware and won't fix.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank CYNDI S
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I've been staying with another cabin rental company for over ten years, but for a week away, they were very expensive. I looked around and found Outrageous Cabins. They were much cheaper and the pictures looked nice, so we decided to try them (and saved $1000!). The pictures didn't lie! I've never stayed at any vacation rental/ hotel that was so clean before.

The cabin was extremely clean, including the entrance way/ balconies, which I was surprised about because most don't take the time to clean them... no cobwebs, or bugs, except for the occasional bee. Sheets were nice and clean, which is something I also scrutinize. All the dishes were nice and clean, floors swept.... looked like a brand new house. 5 stars for cleanliness!

Our cabin was at the top of the mountain, so I always get nervous about the roads up there (and make someone else drive), which usually are sharp and narrow, with steep drop-offs. Nope. These roads (which I would drive up by myself) were very wide, easily fit two, possibly three cars, and very few drop offs, with most being at the very top of the mtn. And really, you would have to try to drive your car off the mtn. There were a few sharp turns, and a couple of steep hills, so I don't know how they would be in the winter with snow (I read they maintain the roads very well in the winter). The driveway was also wonderful. Huge, paved driveway that would easily fit several cars. I would stay with OC again just for the roads.

We went to the cabin before going to the grocery store (Walmart was just four miles from redlight 8 on the Parkway, so not a far drive). I'm glad we did, cause there was a couple of cooking utensils we had to buy. There was a limited number of pots and pans ( I think about 3 apiece). There was one cookie sheet. Three plastic mixing bowls ( 2 large, one small-medium size). There was a large strainer. No cheese grater, but we brought our own. There was any pans to cook/bake in (like for casseroles, cakes, etc), so we just bought the disposible foil ones. There was plenty of glasses, plates, bowls, and silverware. They did have an automatic and manual can opener. The cabin did come with starter papertowels, toilet paper, a little bottle of dish soap, dishwasher detergent for one cycle, and some bar soap for the bathrooms. I would recommend buying these things if staying for a week like we did.

The only problems we had were with the keypad on the entrance door to the cabin... a couple of times the lock wouldn't retract fully, so we wouldn't be able to open the door. We would have to hit the lock button and punch in the code again and it would open. Also, we did discover ants in the kitchen going to the sink.

The pictures online are real, too. They looked photo shopped to me but once we got up there and saw the view, they were definately real. The only picture that didn't go with the cabin was the hot tub picture with the mtn view in the background. I noticed it on other cabin's pictures too.

The staff was so nice and friendly when we checked in and out. Overall, we had a great experience and will definately be using this company again for our future trips up there!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jess412
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
The Inn On The River
Hampton Inn Sevierville
Hampton Inn Sevierville
#1 of 20 in Sevierville
Dollywood's DreamMore Resort and Spa

Been to Starr Crest Resort? Share your experiences!