“The experience is a lie!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Starr Crest Resort

and 1 more site!
Starr Crest Resort
Florida
“The experience is a lie!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2008

"It's not just a vacation... It's an experience!" - They didn't say what KIND of experience, so I'll share my thoughts on that...HORRIBLE!
1) The projector (one of the biggest selling points for me in the Bearly Chocolate cabin) had an overdue bulb and was using an S-Video connection, the picture was complete crap! I called to let them know, the Maintenance Manager owned a projector too and said that the bulb was overdue and was appalled by how it looked and how it was connected. They said that they would order another one, but would not have it until I left!|
2) It had a Wii game system in the room with one game in it, Guitar Hero which requires a guitar to play, of which was not included. No way to play it.
3) The hockey table was broken, the maintenance manager looked at it and said he would have to order parts for it too, he never came back.
4) They were doing construction on the cabin directly across from us and kept all of their equipment there, thanks for telling us!!! Every morning a big diesel truck (or more) came to start work. A bulldozer worked on the street right by our cabin for the whole stay.
5) The phone in the room never worked, was some kind of internet phone that was not set up. Maintenance never fixed it either.
6) The view from my cabin was more cabins and he kid’s playground, not nice at all.
I told them the whole situation at the desk when I left, and put it all on their survey sheet they asked me to fill out. The lady at the desk said someone would contact me about a possible discount. A week later, no call. I called them 3 times before being told that these cabins are individually owned and that they do not discount for things not working in the cabins.
So everything in the room can be broken when you get there and they won't do anything about it.
GO ELSEWHERE!

Stayed September 2008
6 Thank MiahX

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Florence, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2008

I am always anxious to share a good experience, but in this case, there was some good and some not so good. Since I rely heavily on TripAdvisor.com in deciding where to stay, I feel that people like myself need to know both.

My husband and I reserved a cabin at Starr Crest Resort to celebrate our 14th anniversary. A friend had told us about the resort, and when I looked at it online, it looked like a beautiful place to stay in the Smokies, and a bonus was that they had several cabins that were pet-friendly. We wanted to take our dog with us, so we booked one of those cabins. The resort had a special for September, where you could get one night free if you stayed two nights. This was the real deciding factor for us, as the nightly rental is pretty pricey for a 1-bedroom cabin. But what really adds up is all of their extra fees. There is a $45 "registration fee" (for what? I've never been charged anything like this before, anywhere). There is also a $20 "hot tub fee," they say because after each guest leaves, they have to drain the hot tub and replace the chemicals, etc. Wouldn't they just do that as a matter of safety? Of course, we also paid a $50 (non-refundable) "pet fee." OK, it's not like they didn't disclose all of these fees up front, but I still think some of them are excessive.

We stayed in "Candy Kisses." The cabin was nice, but certainly not luxurious. Everything was very clean, except for the floors. While the major appliances in the kitchen were nice, the ice maker in the fridge did not work. I discovered the first night that the coffee maker did not work. To their credit, they did bring us a replacement from another cabin, and we discovered that the problem was a short in the cord of the first coffee maker. Neither the first coffee maker nor the replacement was in very good shape, which is not what I would have expected for the price we paid. Also, even though there were several dishes, and kitchen utensils, several "necessary" items were missing. There were no good knives and no baking sheet. We needed to do most of our own cooking, since you can't take a dog in a restaurant. That brings me to the biggest complaint we had - the charcoal grill that we had really looked forward to using was a joke. It was one of those like you find in a public park (a metal box on a pole, with a rusty grate on top). Some of the cabins had much nicer grills, but ours was very unsatisfactory. Since it was pretty windy on the mountain, it was very hard to get and keep a fire going.

That brings me to the good things: the views were INCREDIBLE. We were on the top of a mountain, and the view from our back decks was absolutely gorgeous. It was peaceful, and since we stayed during the week, there weren't too many "neighbors" while we were there. It was a good place to walk, and the location, even though it was a steep drive up and down the mountain, was very convenient to Pigeon Forge. The only thing that could have made the views better would have been if the trees had already started changing colors, but we knew it was too early for that. The furnishings in the cabin were adequate, and it did have a nice big screen TV. There was no TV in the master bedroom, but it did have a fireplace, which was very romantic. The only thing that puzzles me is why they call it a 1-bedroom cabin, when it actually has two distinct bedrooms (one upstairs and one downstairs).

I'm sure part of the reason for (what I consider) the high rental price is "location, location, location" and I'm sure many of the cabins (especially those that are not pet-friendly) are probably much nicer than the one we stayed in. Some of them also had much nicer landscaping - ours looked sadly neglected. All in all, I would recommend this resort, especially if you want to be close to Pigeon Forge, and still have incredible mountain views. I wouldn't exactly say it had all the comforts of home, but it was a good place for a family getaway.

• Liked — The views!
  • Disliked — Sub-par grill and inadequate kitchen items.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank wrs1106
Asheville, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2008

We really enjoyed our stay at Starrcrest Resort. Very close to all the touristy things but far away just enough to be away from the hustle and bustle of the busy areas. The staff at Starrcrest Resort are very friendly and helpful, we needed some envelopes to mail off some business things and they were very kind enough to give us some envelopes. Overall, staff was grea!

We stayed in Starry Hope (1) and if you look on the website for the resort, you will see that there is a cabin called Starry Hope 1 and Starry Hope 3. 1 is for the one bedroom and 3 is for three bedrooms. We needed a 1 bedroom that was pet friendly so we requested Starry Hope 1. When we arrived and entered the cabin, there were 3 bedrooms! Not a problem with this, we were just surprised with all the rooms we had. The bottom level has 2 extra bedrooms with king sized bed. There are locks on the door for the staff to lock when it's rented out for a 1 bedroom so that you only use the one master bedroom on the main level.

Yes, this is a pet friendly cabin, but you can not tell that other pets have been there, with the exception of a few paw marks by the door. And of course, if your pets are like any other pets, they are going to find the "markings" in the carpeted areas no matter how clean it is, but the cabin was very clean. No pet hair or major pet smells or stains. All very well maintained

The resort was very peaceful during our week, with the exception of Saturday and it is busy on the weekends. There are 2 large group cabins for large families and youth groups that are near Starry Hope and I felt like we did not have any privacy when the group checked in one of the larger cabins. They all left on Sunday morning along with other guests, so our street of the resort was deserted and we felt like we were the only ones there. There is one cabin that is being constructed a block away from Starry Hope, but it was not a bother.
One thing that I must mention, if you are looking for a secluded cabin, this is not the place. Yes, the resort is very well maintained and beautiful, but it is not secluded. The cabins are side by side mostly just like the pictures show, but there are blinds and wooden screens built by the hot tub for privacy.

Great place to bring the kids and they will be entertained in Starry Hope. There is a pool table, Wii, and Xbox. Also an computer and free wireless. Also, the arcade machine, with free play, that took me back to my day in the 80's. One arcade machine that has all the 80's classics from the good ol days, I really enjoyed that. The air hockey table is fun, but in need of repair.

Overall, loved this cabin. We will be going back! You will love it and I am in the hospitality industry and it was worth all the money we saved up for this. It's great to bring your four legged children too..

Here are some pros and cons of the cabin.

Pro's
Hardwood floors through out with the exception of all bedrooms which were carpeted.
The game room is awesome.
LOVE the hot tub, very clean and so relaxing!
Pet friendly, and very well maintained.
The view is great!
Full kitchen with all you need, even a blender and coffee maker.

Con's
Not "secluded" like some people think. I would call and talk to rep at the resort and ask for a more secluded cabin.
If you have an older pet, this is not the place for them. Even though its pet friendly, if you have an older dog and our babies are 10 and 15, they will have trouble climbing the stairs. We had to help them up the stairs b/c the hardwood flooring, they could not get their grip to go up and down the stairs.
There's lots of high tech TVs with surround sound and other gadgets and if you are not technical in this field, then forget about enjoying the high tech amenities. It took forever for us to figure everything out.

• Liked — The Hot Tub, the area
  • Disliked — check out is at 10am! It was hard to leave after 6 nights!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vanjones
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2008

WOW. It was the best trip ever. The staff were great, anything we needed, they knew about it. I can still hear the sound of the train whistle below us and see the sunset over the mountains. The cabin was squeaky clean and has become my home away from home. My son continually asks when we're going back. If we decided to stay in or go out to Dollywood or shop, it was the perfect spot. We felt on top of the world. One night we ordered in STEAK and had massages in the cabin. As a couple we got to spend time together because it was so spacious and had things for our son to do!! It's a yearly tradition for us. I highly recommend booking it, just don't book it during our week!

• Liked — spacious and breath-taking views
  • Disliked — that we had to leave it
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank mjjbutler
Greenville, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2008

I have stayed in the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville area many times and this is the best Cabin Resort area we have found so far. We stayed in a cabin called "A Touch of Class" and it really was. All the cabins are new and there was still just a little bit of construction going on with new cabins. They all have nice views of the mountains.

Word of advice: When you go to their website alot of the 1 BR cabins are really two BR cabins. The upstairs room is considered a "loft" but it didn't feel like one. Don't mind the prices on the website...if you call in you will get a better price...30% off. At this time the economy is affecting the Smokies just like any other area. Also if you go to www.couponmountain.com you can get a coupon for $50 off your stay.

Our cabin had a full kitchen, a living room with a large TV and surround sound, a BR and bathroom all downstairs. There was also a first floor deck overlooking the mountains. Then you walk upstairs and their is a large room with a king sized bed, a computer with broad band internet access, a nice bathroom with a jacuzzi, an air hockey table, and another deck that has a hot tub on it along with outdoor speakers. The TV upstairs also had surround sound.

My wife and i and our 3 and 5 yr old loved the cabin and it is VERY close to everything.

We will definitely stay here again.

• Liked — It was very clean and high quality.
  • Disliked — The Pool was at the bottom of the mountain & small.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2008

For our honeymoon we decided to go someplace within driving distance and that would accept our 20 lbs dog (we didn't have anyone to leave him with). We live in Florida and can go to the beaches anytime, plus we wanted to escape the heat for a little while. We found Starr Crest Properties on the internet and then found a totally beautiful, wonderful, heavenly cabin on their property. The cabin we stayed in is called A Walk In The Clouds. It was simply unbelievable!! When we walked in the door we knew we were in heaven for our honeymoon. The cabin had everything we needed plus much more. You would never know that this is a pet friendly cabin. It was exceptionaly clean and absolutely no pet odor. My husband is very allergic to cat hair and had no allergic reactions so we know that if cats had ever stayed there that their hair and any shedding dog hair had been cleaned. We spent much of our time hiking in Smokey Mountain Nat'l Park where the temperature was very nice (about 10 degrees cooler than the surrounding towns). When we returned to the cabin we cooked our meals, or ordered fabulous steak dinners delivered to our door by a local restaurant. We soaked in the hot tub, watched TV on the huge screen, played pool, air hockey and lounged in the jacuzzi. This cabin and resort really has it all. We definately recommend it to anyone looking for a place for some romance or a family vacation.

• Liked — Everything that it offered from the amazing view of the Smokey Mountains to the well stocked kitchen
  • Disliked — Nothing. We truly loved everything.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2008

This place is absolutely amazing. We went for our anniversary weekend and it could not have been better. The cabins are all very well maintained. They are extremely clean (I'm a clean freak). The jacuzzi tub and the bathtub were so relaxing. The views were spectacular. The one thing I would have to say needed some work was maybe some garbage pick-up down the hills - not sure how they would get down there to clean - but you could tell people had thrown garbage over the balconies.

The cabins are a few miles away from the main road to Dollywood - so if you are looking for something to do - I'd imagine that there are plenty of places to go over there. We were looking for a romantic get-a-way and we got exactly that.

I would recommend bringing some bubble bath and be sure to stop off at the local grocery store to pick up drinks and snacks and dinner - unless you plan on going out.

We were very careful when booking out cabin that we paid close attention to where it was located on the hills. From the pictures it is hard to tell the layout of the neighborhoods - but if you are looking for some privacy - find the ones with the solid fence next to the outdoor jacuzzi and also try and find one in the end of a grouping so if you have people around - it's only on one side of the house. Also - the higher you are the better - so call when you book your reservations because you really can't tell location when you are looking online. I would also recommend calling to book becuase we got a much better deal when we called than the one that they were offering online.

This place is really beautiful - give it a shot!

• Liked — It was so clean!
  • Disliked — nothing...
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank crazy4travel07
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Margaritaville Island Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,947 reviews
Dollywood's DreamMore Resort
Dollywood's DreamMore Resort
#11 of 89 in Pigeon Forge

Been to Starr Crest Resort? Share your experiences!