“Animal House Review”
Review of Starr Crest Resort

Starr Crest Resort
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Want to start by mentioning I am picky and not afraid to give a hard review, when warranted. Having said that, this was one of the best vacations I've ever had. Cabin was beautiful. Clean and super comfortable. View was incredible. Top of the mountain. Downstairs shower wasn't the best--water pressure weak and knobs hard to use (so didn't get a 5) but other than that, I had no other complaints. We can't WAIT to come back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Utlawlra

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The view was beautiful, but the sunrise was blocked by the "smoke" of the Smoky Mountains. Next time I'll rent one with a sunset view. The cabin was clean and had all amenities promised. We all had a blast kicking back and relaxing with all the games in the loft after a long day in mountains and Dollywood. However, the hot tub leaked on the lower deck so much that we really didn't use the one side at all. The hot tub would run all night and if you slept in the living room it vibrated. When I called the office, they seemed to think it was no big deal. Don't plan on grilling because the charcoal is one of the those junky forest persevere grills with no cover. And I think the cabin (especially the decks) has termites. We'd definitely rent again with Dollywood & Starr Crest but not in Heavenly Sunrise. The package with Dollywood perks was awesome!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

First time vacationers to area. Made reservations through legacy for cabin rental. Rented Absolutely Viewtiful for a week for family vacation/getaway. Arrived sunday evening and found our way up to office. Office closed at 6:00 so and envelope was in drop box with our name as well as others who were arriving. A bit confusing not only to is but others arriving. One gentlemen said "where's the hospitality". So in our envelope we followed directions given to find our cabin. Come to find our our cabin was on other property 3miles down the road. Not a problem thankfully since it was still daylight. Had it been dark it would have been difficult to find your way around. Not knowing area it is not someplace you just want to randomly roam around. Arrived at cabin to see if it was as we had hoped for and paid for. Had an amazing view and very peaceful and private. That was the best part. Unfortunately the negatives were beginning g to outweigh the good. Cabin needed TLC. Bedding did not seem fresh and some pillows had no pillowcases on them or any to be found. Dirty dishes in cupboard so rewashed what we would be using in dishwasher. Floors had food and dust bunnies so did my best to wipe them up with paper towel (1 roll of paper towel was all that was supplied). Had one dish towel and no disgraced. Had to buy dishwasher detergent to wash dirty dishes before we could use them. Washed bedding as well. Found pizza crust under couch apparently from last tenant or possibly tenants prior that. Peanuts everywhere in window ledges and on floor. I have a cleaning business of my own and I can say this place could not have been cleaned by someone in good conscious. Because this is a poor representation of the company and whoever owns the cabin. I'm sure the owners are trusting this management company to manage their property with the care and attention it should be getting $ pd formanaging it. If I was the owner of one of these cabins and found on my visit to be in this condition I would definately sell and find a property with management that cares. So other than the uncleanliness we had a couple of other issues. Had to go to another property to use pool which no one seemed to know much about or its location. When I spoke with one gentlemen to inquire where it might be he said it was a nice day to drive around and try to find it. Just what we wanted to do. Go on a scavenger hunt for a pool. Finally found the pool. HURRY! Amenities said access to fitness center. Didn't want to spend more time on that scavenger hunt. Went to pool today and it was locked. Drove to office where we initially picked up our check in papers (never found office for property were on) another scavenger hunt another day. Michelle in office called to notify pool gate locked and informed us someone was on their way to unlock it. We went back to pool and found some other guest trying to get in pool area. They were able to get latch undone. So we all went in to enjoy pool. No restrooms (locked up). While there a lady came by and told us latch on gate was broke but to leave gate propped open so we didn't get locked in. Which we had already thought of and did. So shortly after she left a gentlemen pulls up and says he is Tenn board of health. Came to check on pool and safety. After checking things out he came over and inquired where office may be. Not sure we told him. So he was on a mission to find it. When leaving he went to shut gate and we told him it was broke and latch is difficult to open. Thankfully he was able to get it open for us but was not ok with situation. We told him they had told us locksmith had been called. He said he had many things to rattle their cage about. So thinking there will be no pool available for rest of visit. Dryer at cabin quit working, tv did not work, called property management on monday day after we arrived and finally after calling everyday someone arrived wednesday afternoon. Have to get consent from owners of cabin on replacing tv and motor on dryer burned up. Said they would send appliance repairman. When would that be? No worries, we can hang dry out 6 towels and 3 wash cloths that we have in cabin for our week long stay. Thank god for railings on porch to hang dry laundry. Yes this is a lengthy review but I would want someone to let me know what I'm in for on my arrival to a destination vacation spot. I will say that my husband did finally get to speak with someone in chg and they are going to refund $160 of the $1900 we paid for our 5day stay. Which I have no proproblem we m with what we paid but I am truly disappointed when you dont receive what you pay for. This did not ruin our trip here for we had to just laugh it off rather than become irritated with situation. I just hope homeowner checks reviews to know what is happening and not happening at there property.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank tduncan123
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We rented Above it All. The view was of the city and you could hear the rides, screams and train from Dollywood. The whistle from the train shook our windows. The cabin was nice and it is at the top of the resort. The pool was open and the area is great as always.

Room Tip: If you want to see the Big Wheel and the lights of Pigeon Forge and Sevierville this is a great cabi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank crystalm37
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

This cabin is near the top of the mountain and overlooks a valley and some mountains behind that. You can see part of the Tennessee Tornado roller coaster at Dollywood and hear a faint whistle from the Dollywood train. At night you can see the lights from the strip including the Ferris Wheel at the Island.

The view changes constantly and produces some really nice sunsets as the back of the cabin faces west.

The cabin itself was clean for being a rental. It is the only cabin that is a one bedroom but has 3 beds. It has a master on the first floor with a king, another king on the second floor that is in with the game room and then a spiral set of stairs to a loft with a full bed.

It has a pool table, arcade game, foosball, and air hockey.

There are 3 flat panel TVs in the cabin. The one upstairs didn't work the first three days but they replaced it with a new LG.

The kitchen is small but will do. You have some pots and pans and basic utensils. The measuring spoons are missing the actual text on them so you have to guess at the measurements. The dining room table can only seat 4 so if you need more you'll need to sit in the couch or use the bar table upstairs with two more seats.

2 decks facing the mountains with a few seats on each level. The first level has a swing. The second level has a hot tub which broke but they came and fixed.

In the master there is no room for a dresser. There is a closet but weird there isn't a dresser. A flat panel tv hangs over the see through fireplace into the den.

The master isn't real private because of the see through gas fireplace.

The upstairs has the large soaking tub with jets and some wooden shutters you can open to see out into the mountains. I was surprised that the tub was actually clean and so were the jets.

Overall I think this cabin has some of the best uninstructed views. You get to see the city at night and mountains in the background. The price is lower on this cabin because it is only a one bedroom but remember you actually get 3 large beds. It was perfect for us and two kids.

Things weren't perfect with the tv, hot tub and some other minor things but the office fixed them quickly. The photos on their website make it look larger because of how they stretched the photos.

This cabin company doesn't clean daily like some others so be prepared to wash towels and buy paper towels and toilet paper.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank hawkmanNC
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay with Starr Crest Resort. Outrageous cabins offer spectacular views that you can't get anywhere else. Can't wait to go back! Highly recommended!!!!! Fall break can't come soon enough!

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Lorievans12
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The cabin was furnished nice and was clean but you are not really high on a mountain, you can hear the roads from the inside. There was NO internet and no one told us that until we checked in. There is a cabin right next to you, which is not in the pictures in their website. The bedroom upstairs is not very private it's more like a loft. The bed was pretty comfortable, and the hot tub was nice. Games were pretty fun also.

All in all, my stay wasn't horrible but I like to feel more secluded and I definitely need internet for the price of the cabin.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple