“Getting back to where it used to be”
Review of Pearl's Foggy Mountain Cafe - CLOSED

Pearl's Foggy Mountain Cafe
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We have enjoyed Pearl's for more than 20 years and were happy when it reopened after the fire. Although we've dined there several times in its latest iteration, we have mostly been disappointed. The food has been good, but not excellent.

We visited again recently after church on Palm Sunday for brunch. It was excellent. I had the traditional eggs benedict, which was very good. My wife had shrimp and grits, which she enjoyed. The biggest disappointment to me was the bloody Mary--it was made with grated or ground horseradish, for which I do not care. It tasted like I was drinking runny cocktail sauce. But I fully understand that lots of folk like it that way--bless their hearts.

Otherwise, it was the best meal we've had a Pearl's since before the fire.

2  Thank FatherJustice

Reviewed 5 April 2014

I was happy to see that Pearls had reopened on my drive from Franklin to Chattanooga. As we stopped, I was hoping for an excellent dinner. Supposedly the dining room was full so we were seated in the bar which was acceptable to us. The bartender turned out to be the only decent part of the experience. The kitchen staff constantly came in and out of the bar area to pull produce that was located in an outdoor refrigerator. It was incredibly irritating to hear the door constantly open and close and I was wondering if the same hands that were opening and closing the outside refrigerator and interior door was handling my salad and meat without being cleaned. The staff hung out in the bar when not serving tables and they were very loud and unaware of appearing unprofessional. The staff with the exception of the bartender were untrained to serve and we're not dressed appropriately. We had one appetizer and two entrees and no alcohol. We left a good tip and our dinner bill was over $90 for a tasteless plate of shrimp and grits and a bland quail stuffed with sausage. There was no bread served. The owners appeared to be hanging around the bar completely uninterested in their patrons or managing their staff. I hate to waste money on poor food, unprofessional service and a bland atmosphere. Do not stop, keep driving.

1  Thank Megabyte111
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

At first you would not expect fine dining from the outside but once you walk in to the dinning room you will be pleasantly surprised. The beef tenderloin was cooked to perfection. This was served with a potato and portabella mushroom cake and grilled Brussels sprouts. Our waitress was very attentive without obnoxious interruptions. For desert we had the creme brûlée. Wonderful. It was expensive but worth the price.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

They make the coldest (ice slivers) and best martinis in town.
Friendly service and warm ambiance add to the experience.
Happy hour is 5 til 6 during the week. Jim & Lee

1  Thank JlharTen
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

What a great dinner! The waitstaff was friendly and helpful. For being off the beaten path, Pearl's is a wonderful find.

1  Thank Stephanie B