“If you are looking for a relaxing, quiet, slightly rustic get away, this is it.”
Review of Evins Mill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Smithville
Evins Mill
Ranked #1 of 1 Smithville B&B and Inns
Memphis
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Easy to find. Not remote, but you feel like you are far away from noise, traffic and fast paced life.
Wonderful, friendly staff, from owner to housekeeping.

Maybe the tipping issue could be clearer. We were happy to tip, but we left it along the way-dinner, room. Upon checking out, we realized we probably should have waited and added the tip to our bill. We then added an additional small tip on the bill, but it seemed rather small at that point.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gigi006

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Clarksville, TN
Reviewed 10 April 2009

My husband and I were looking for somewhere close to home for a romantic getaway. A B&B experience without having to live (even if for just one night) with complete strangers. My husband was somewhat timid when we pulled in... he thought it was going to be way out of our league, but it turned out to be a great compromise. The rooms are in, for lack of a better word, "cabins", but they aren't rustic! Each has a private entrance and deck. They are like homey hotel rooms... with everything you need. Dinner (and breakfast) is served in a dining room, but you are seated according to your group size... for instance, during our stay there was a group of 4 couples and 3 other couples. The dining room was set for the large group and the 3 other couples... separately. The staff was polite, helpful, and always at your service, but never did they make you feel as though they were hovering over you or watching you from the corner waiting to pounce. Everyone was very friendly and made us feel very at home. We are pretty ordinary people and we never felt uncomfortable as though we were of the proper caliber to be guests at The Inn.

The food was delicious... every morsel... even down to the last drop of hot coffee. I hoped at breakfast to find something that was less than wonderful so I would be able to push it aside and not eat so much, but that did not happen! The flavors in each dish and baked good were special and unique.

I must also comment on the beautiful scenery which although the proprietors didn't have a hand in creating they certainly benefit from. Carmac Falls is a stunningly beautiful waterfall. The two hiking trails are worth the effort as you will see some gorgeous sights. My husband and I had just spent two days hiking all the trails at Fall Creek Falls and we also stopped at Burgess Falls. This waterfall was the best of the trip!

It is so convenient to our hometown that we will definitely go back for another romantic getaway (children are only welcome on select dates). We've already been imagining visiting in the fall... to take in the beautiful color, the winter... cozy next to one of the fireplaces or playing pool in the gameroom, or taking a dip in the swimming hole beneath the waterfall.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Nashville, Tn
Reviewed 4 August 2008

This place is a nice get-away for such a short distance from Nashville. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon for a two night stay . Upon arrival it was unclear if there was anyone to greet us as there is no reception. You must mingle about and ask for someone to help with check-in.
Our room was nice and it was very clean. Dinner that evening was really good and the service was pleasant.
We were told that because we would be the only ones staying for Sunday night, ( including 2 other singles) that they would not be serving dinner that night and would give the chef the night off. That was ok with us; but I never expected that all the staff would leave the premises by 3 pm! There were instructions to call with phone numbers in case of an emergency. This was very strange to me and a little scary . I did not feel safe at all! I doubt I will stay there again if the staff is going to leave guests to fend for themselves.

• Liked — cleamliness
  • Disliked — Abandonment from the staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank TazoNashville
Tennessee
Reviewed 11 July 2008

Detailed Review below: Our first stay at Evins Mill was for my husband's 40th birthday (January, 2006). A one night get-away for the two of us. It was January, so they weren't "full". We abosulutely loved the gourmet dinner (everything was cooked and seasoned perfectly), and the breakfast spread the next morning was just as wonderful. We thought it a bit pricey... UNTIL we experienced what we got in return. Definitely worth it! We had planned to fly to Vegas for his birthday, but it didn't work out, and we are BOTH so glad we ended up here! It was under construction for an expansion to the deck on the lodge, but it didn't cause any problems.

The second trip (January, 2007) - yep, his birthday again! Once again, we loved everything about it. It rained during our stay, so we didn't get to walk down to the falls - slippery.

Third trip (July, 2007) was for MY 40th birthday. My husband had arranged a surprise visit with my sister, her husband, and our best friends - they met us there for an overnight stay, complete with the gourmet dinner (my mouth waters thinking of it), games in the gristmill (details below), and the superb breakfast. I'm so anxious to go back! In fact, I told my husband I'm having withdrawl symptoms!

So, here's the scoop (detailed review) from my viewpoint.

The staff is incredible. Every time we've been, they seem to be there if you need them (with a smile on their face), but you never see them if you don't need them for something. I don't know how they do it, but they seem to sense what you might need & they're there - without being intrusive.

The Rooms. There are 3 cabins with 4 rooms per cabin. Each room has it's own private entrance - love it. You share a balcony / deck with the room next to you, but they have a privacy screen you can pull if you want. We've never had to pull the screen. The rooms are a little rustic, but nicely decorated. Some rooms have a bunk, although we normally don't go with kids - ours are too small to put up there anyway. The king size beds are very comfy & we've always slept well. The bathrooms are a bit small. One sink (large counter, though), and a tub/shower - but they are very clean. The rooms are a bit dark because of the panelling/rustic decor, but that's okay by me. The TV/VCRs are small. We were told on our last trip that they were planning to upgrade sometime in the future (don't know if that's happened yet or when it's scheduled). They now have refrigerators in the rooms. Very nice. Now you don't have to go to the lodge - you can bring drinks back to the room & be "stocked". No cable, satellite, etc. Again, this is perfect for us, but some might not like it. We've gotten tapes from the lodge (not a huge selection of NEW movies, but their selection is fine). I have Verizon cell service, and I'm able to make calls from the room. My husband has Virgin Mobility/ Sprint network - no service for him.

The decks have comfy rocking chairs. You can sit, listen to the waterfall, & just be completely relaxed.

Food. As I said above, the dinners are amazing. Jason, the Executive Chef, has delivered perfectly cooked & seasoned food each time we've been. He even comes out to make sure you were satisfied. The total meal - from the hors d'oeuvres an hour before dinner, to the four course meal, were all delicious... All 3 times. The breakfast, complete with omlette station, is equally wonderful. They offer biscuits, bacon/sausage, fresh pastries, fresh cut fruits, and much more - even 5 or 6 different types of fruit juices!

The Gristmill / Game Room. The last time we were there it was a little disappointing because there were a few items missing (darts, ping pong balls & game pieces), the ping pong paddles needed to be replaced, and they just needed to go through everything. They probably have by now. We still were able to play, but not all the games we would have liked to.

The waterfall is beautiful. It's a little hike to get down there, and it's very slippery if it's been raining.

We've always stayed for 1 night. It's an hour away from our house, and it's a perfect couple's get-away for us. Would love to stay longer sometime, but we have a hard time getting away for any longer. I can't recommend it highly enough, and I've told several of my friends about it. It's not your "traditional" B&B. I think it's much better because it's a lot more private.

That's my 2cent's worth!

• Liked — The staff.
  • Disliked — Game room was missing some items.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
CORDOVA
Reviewed 20 November 2007

We went to Evins Mill for our 10th wedding anniversary. We were looking for something a little more secluded but this worked out nicely. We stayed 2 nights and had wonderful dinners each night and a nice spread for breakfast each morning with an "omelet bar". They are relatively close to a bunch of state parks if your looking for some exploring. They have a nice waterfall right on their property you can hike to which you can swim in the waterhole below if it's warm enough! The staff was very helpful and friendly. It's not 5 star accommodations so don't look for immaculate detail. The rooms were clean but everything else is a little rough and rustic. But, that's what were looking for! The game room has a big TV with satellite service, a pool table, ping-pong, etc. On Sundays they fire up the mill for a demonstration and tour which was really cool. I believe we will definitely go back sometime.

• Liked — Rustic solitude
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 2 October 2006

My husband and I went to Evins Mill this past weekend and it was way above what I expected. I thought it was a little high but boy was I wrong. The dinner which was included along with breakfast, was a 5 course to die for dinner. Think encrusted tenderloin, duck, crème brule.........I just wish I could eat there every weekend. The room was nice and quiet with plenty of privacy. The hiking was nice and the falls were breathtaking. The staff was very helpfull and friendly. We will be going back in the spring.

• Liked — DINNER
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gkpslp
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 October 2005

From the contact I had with the reservation person to the guy who helped us with our bags to the car we were treated like royalty.
I was emailed about the weather..how to dress, what foods to expect and asked about any food preferences.
I took my sister here for some much needed solitude and rest and was not disappointed.
The staff was friendly and anticipated our every need.
The surrounding were comfortable, very clean and cozy.
The meals were superb!!
The chef came around every meal to make sure everything was okay. I noticed one guy did not seem to care for the dessert selection and the chef immediately sent something else.
The cozy fire...the comfortable dining area...the immaculate room...the rocking chairs on private decks..the sound of running water had a tranquil effect on us.
I would definitely recommend for someone needed a rest.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cookeville
Scottish Inn
Scottish Inn
#2 of 4 in McMinnville
Best Western Thunderbird Motel

Been to Evins Mill? Share your experiences!