“Good food and great atmosphere.”
Review of Omni Hut

Omni Hut
Ranked #6 of 158 Restaurants in Smyrna
Cuisines: Polynesian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I traveled over two hours to eat at Omni Hut after learning about it in a book called "Tiki Road Trip". We were not disappointed. The atmosphere was absolutely authentic vintage Polynesian Pop (which should not be confused with authentic Polynesian culture. Tiki culture is a very fictionalized, escapist version of South Pacific Island culture. It's a fantasy and should be taken as such) which I'm sure has remained largely unchanged for the past 50 years. That's both the point and the charm of this place. It's all about the kitch. Service was good and personable, and the wait was reasonable considering the ample crowd. The food was very charming in it's presentation and, while we've had better Asian-inspired fare, it was good enough that we left feeling completely satisfied with our experience and making plans to return.

2  Thank Matt C

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband, children and I are baffled at what the locals see in this place. It's old and dingy, which would be charming if the food was good. Sadly we were so disappointed. Everything tasted like it had been previously frozen, sauces were overly sweet/salty and tasted like they were reconstituted. Nothing we had tasted like it was freshly prepared. We were made to wait 20 minutes in the small lobby area when we had a set reservation. I am not sure if the locals eat here because it's nostalgic or because their tastes are simple. Either way, not a fan. $60 for disappointment. I should have listened to the reviews.

4  Thank leprojectmayhem
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

We have been eating there for over 30 years the food is great and so is the service. They have the very best egg rolls you'll ever find along with teriyaki steak, sweet and sour pork and shrimp fried rice it's all good.

1  Thank Tennessee-Heil
Reviewed 26 February 2014

What a awful experience! The food was gross and I had a MOUSE run at me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! While I was eating! I screamed jumped up and ran, then it went to another table full of ppl and thats where the workers caught it. I never even got an apology even tho I totally lost my appetite and didnt eat my main course. Waste of money even before the mouse! The food was just ok, actually it was bad,

2  Thank Paige S
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I'm a bit of a foodie......which means I like food and I like my food to be delicious. I will admit I am a little picky but i'll try anything once. I have lived in Smyrna 5 years and drove by this place nearly every day. I was so curious to see what was so awesome about this mysterious place since they always seem busy and there are rave reviews. I don't get it. We went for my husbands birthday and we were sorely disappointed. The atmosphere was relaxing I guess, maybe it looks cooler if you BYOB (they don't serve alcohol) and get plastered. It's definitely a throwback to the 60's, as in nothing has changed since the 60's or 70's including the cheap black light décor, Shoney's style tables and ugly cracked tile floors. I can get past any crappy décor for good food though. The Won Ton soup was good. I wish I had just ordered a bowl of that because it went down hill after that. My husband had the ever so popular Tahitian Feast. Most. Disgusting. Thing. EVER! I don't even know what half of the mystery meat (that was mostly gristle and bones) we suffered through trying was. The "entrée" part of the Feast looked like cat food out of a can. It also tasted pretty much like I'd imagine cat food would taste. He will eat just about anything but when I saw him pushing it around his plate I knew it was bad. I ordered a side of chicken fried rice (also resembling cat food) for my 1.5 yr old who is not a picky eater at all (FYI they don't offer a kids menu) and she wouldn't touch it. I had the chicken and steak kabobs and more of the nasty "fried" rice. The meat was slightly edible but it will definitely raise your blood pressure with all the salt they have dumped on it. For happy birthday dessert they brought my husband a mound of ice cream with chocolate syrup suppose to resemble a volcano in half of a cockle shell (did they get this out of the dirty fish tank up front??) and the "candle" was a sugar cube stuck in the top lit on fire. I didn't know sugar could ignite. I'm wondering what they soaked it in to get it to ignite?! Service was mediocre.....they kept our waters replenished but seemed to disappear altogether when we were ready for our checks. All together with gratuity/tips added it was about $60 for my husband, child and me for 2 entrees and a side of rice. Overall it was a very disappointing experience and we will definitely not go back again. Kudos to the owners for somehow keeping this small business alive so long but it is not good and waaaay overpriced!

2  Thank Rfletch7

Been to Omni Hut? Share your experiences!