“We call it John's place”
Review of City Recreation Center - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
City Recreation Center
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

You will never find a better burger. Been ordering from John for years but I've never stepped inside the door. Literally 40 years of John's burgers. Can't describe the burger except they are fabulous.

1  Thank insureu2
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I have been asked to do an update of my favorable review by people who disagree with my views. You got it!

I gave the burgers a 5 and do so again. That's why I go there! I am personally willing to endure cigarette smoke, presence of beer, and rest rooms that need updating, because the burgers are great, IMO. I don't smoke, don't like smoke, and I don't use alcohol. I generally don't go to places where I will find either. I do go to the Rec Center.

I like burgers. I make excellent burgers at home. I don't put anything on them but salt, pepper, fried onions, and butter. I care about the flavor of the meat, not the condiments! The secret to great burgers is excellent meat with at least 15% fat, and the Rec Center's burgers are better than mine.

This is an "old time beer hall" that is just barely into the 20th century. The decor is "old time beer hall." The cooks and bartenders are "old time beer hall" kind of folks. A couple of pool tables and pinball machines add to the "old time beer hall" rustic saloon atmosphere. There is no attempt to make this place any more than it is, an "old time........" It's great!

A word about the "beertenders/cooks:" they are fun, like they are supposed to be. The owner is 80+ years young and is usually present. He smiles a lot too. The atmosphere is very welcoming and kind of like an O.................

So there...

1  Thank flyingscot4
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I have been here numerous times and will continue to eat lunch here despite the three things I don't like, such as since it is called a "Sports Bar" smoking is allowed, there are no french fries, and the rest room facilities are not up-to-date. That said, the burgers overcome all of my obstacles. They have been making them the same way for about 50 years, and the owner still supervises every day despite being well into his 80's. The burgers are special because of the quality of the meat they use which is always local and always fresh. Love the place!

1  Thank flyingscot4