“Relaxing getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Wright Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Townsend
The Wright Cabins
Topeka, Kansas
“Relaxing getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

We were booked for Crow's Nest which was absolutely charming. The only concern we had was leaving our trailer and motorcycles away from the cabin due to the steep driveway. From the minute I called Peggy with our concern, she and Warren were there to help. She gave us our choice of all of the available cabins and we found Momma's cabin to be easily accessible with the trailer and bikes. I don't know that I have encountered this degree of concern for our comfort any place before! It was so quiet and peaceful and it really feels as if you are the only cabin around. if you want to avoid the hustle and bustle of a tourist trap, stay in Townsend at The Wright Cabin's. I can tell you that you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lilponchmom

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Townsend, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

Mountain Breeze.
Excellent cabin to get away in. Whole cabin is clean, awesome feel to it. Love the patio, nice breeze and Great Grill!!
I have stayed in many of the Wright's cabins, and this is definitely one of the top ones they have.
Wonderful people to work with, reasonable rates , very very clean cabins, all you need is to bring your food and clothes. Have everything else there for you.
Its a home away from home

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank cewing2301
Tallahassee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

God is great, Life is good and Riversong is a piece of heaven in Tennessee. After staying in different locations over the last 30 years in Townsend, we finally found Riversong! Not difficult to find even in the dark with great directions from Ms. Peggy. It is an extremely comfortable, clean, cozy, charming, homey, cabin ..everything we could possible want or need to unwind at a good price for retirees. It is well furnished with everyday needs, internet access, telephone connect, cable TV (I don't watch but Hubby does) even has the "back home" retro feel we all want and need with all the modern upticks. On top of all that it is PET friendly. Isabella, our golden loved the back deck watching the geese, otters, ducks, boaters and birds. I was surprised to find that there was a covered space for our car so it was never out in the weather. Security motion lights were also an added attraction. The cabin lives up to it's name because the river sings to you day and night...so sweet. Had a spring shower one day and rain on the tin roof reminded me of times past. We have not slept so good in a long time, bed was very comfy for retirees. We did find that we brought a lot more than we needed (our fault) only because it was so well furnished, although I will bring my pillow in November when we return, already booked for another week and looking forward to that trip. Overall this was a fantastic trip and we would certainly recommend RIVERSONG for a relaxing peaceful stay in Walland.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Olivia L
Maumelle, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

I just read a review left by a renter who stayed at this cabin (Riversong) in June 2011, and was very surprised. My fiance and I stayed at the same cabin in October 2011, and the traveler's review sounds like a different place entirely.

We found the cabin lovely, clean, well-equipped, and charming. It was so perfect (for us) that we are currently looking at trying to book for an entire week this fall. In discussing what we need to do differently this time, the only two things we came up with were: stay LONGER, and pack fewer staples... sugar, salt and pepper, paper plates, etc. We brought too much with us, as we had no idea there would be so many items already in the pantry.

We did run into one small problem with the tub not draining well, but that was solved by my fiance (always a do-it-yourself-er) with a little elbow grease and a plunger. Like my Mom taught me... always leave a place as nice, or better than you found it.

For a relaxing, quiet vacation, this was superb. He wandered the Little River fly-fishing, and I meandered through the shallows, sat on the porch swing to read, and snuggled in the hammock under the trees with him... perfect for these two middle-aged ramblers.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Briagail
Monroe, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

My husband found this quaint little cabin when he planned our trip to the Smokies and I am so glad he did. 1. it's on the PEACEFUL side of the Smokies! Now that I've been to that area, I would refuse to stay anywhere but the Townsend area (Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge are obnoxious). 2. It's close to the main road and easy to find (we had no trouble, even in the dark) 3. Fully stocked kitchen was helpful so we didn't have to pack as much 4. Except for the perfect little stream, it is quiet! 5. We had plenty of towels- we did run out of washcloths but that was our own problem. The cabin has a washer & dryer, we were just too lazy to do laundry on our vacation. 6. it is pet friendly, which was great for us so we could take our dog. Even though our dog was not allowed on the trails inside the park, we had him with us at night and found a kennel to take him during the day. It worked out just fine. 7. Jacuzzi tub was relaxing
Any issues we had must have been insignificant as I can't think of them right now.
We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: This is a cabin in the woods- don't expect the Hyatt. No phone, no internet, cable tv is spotty...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Karen V
Dickson, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

My husband and I planned this trip for our 42nd wedding anniversary. I communicated our approx. arrival time at 7:30 PM and received an OK for that time. After traveling five hours in a steady drizzle, horendous traffic, and passing a wreck on the interstate which slowed traffic even more, we finally arrived at 7:30 PM as planned. I thought it a good idea to stop at the Wright's office/home to let them know we had arrived. Mr. Wright gave two different long, rambling directions to our cabin. We had a map from our confirmation letter, so we left and went down the road to the cabin. It was very, very dark, but with our flashlight, we found the mailbox clearly marked "Rocky Top". We turned into the driveway and were disturbed that there were no lights on inside or outside the cabin. We assumed that it must be another cabin to the left since Mr. Wright had mentioned that we would need to turn left. Almost to the top of the steep driveway, our car started miring up in the very soft, wet gravel. Trying to back up so I could try it again, the car started spinning and slidding toward the dropoff. There was a 15-20 foot drop almost straight off the driveway into a stream below. After several tries and with frayed nerves, I managed to back down the drive and return to the Wrights' office. By now, their lights were off, but I went tothe door anyway. When I told Mr. Wright our problem, he became very irritated and began scolding, "You didn't go the way I told you to go! There IS no gravel driveway! I told you to go ............." All this time, his huge black dog was barking and Mr. Wright was trying to hold onto him. Near tears, I asked Mrs. Wright to please tell me one more time how to access the cabin. Twice she asked Mr. Wright to get into his truck and take us up there. He did, and when we got there, I had to back into a parking place not much bigger than my car. All this in the dark. The driveway I was supposed to use was a circular drive shared by the next cabin. (However, the first guests blocked the drive so that we could not use it.)
Mr. Wright went to the back door to unlock the door, opened the door and said the outside light was burned out and that he would replace it the next day. (He never did.) All this time, my husband and I were trying to walk over the wet, slick rocks to get to the cabin.
We finally made it into the safe confines of the cabin which was delightfully furnished.
This cabin is not appropriate for senior citizens, families with toddlers, or folks with physical disabilities. Liability issues abound at every turn outside.
To exit the property, we had to back part way down the hill, turn around, then drive the rest of the way to the road.
We could not have a fire in the fireplace because the wood was wet from the rain. It was also located several yards from the cabin--another hazard for us older folks trying to bring wood into the cabin. We did not use the fireplace.

Room Tip: Find a cabin closer to the road!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank Patricia S
wrightcabins, Owner at The Wright Cabins, responded to this review, 11 January 2012
Thank you for your review. This trip was planned and booked for 3 adults in Mountain Shadow, a handicap accessible 2br/2ba cabin, which was an ideal choice for this renter’s needs, with about as level a yard as there is in the mountains. This renter’s confirmation for it was mailed on Nov 21, 2011. Then, just 4 days before the Dec 21 arrival date in it, This renter called and needed to arrive a day later and depart a day later, which was not doable in Mountain Shadow. Mountain Breeze, which was comparable, except it had hot tub and was $20 more, was available, but had someone interested in it and was trying to work their plans out. Since they had not confirmed, I offered it, but it was declined because one for the same price was desired. Rocky Top was available at the same price and I described it and offered the same info, as I do to everyone about all the steps, which are, also very obvious in the photo of it on our website. I also informed her that we had just recently acquired the adjacent lot and attempted a way with lesser steps in the back door. She stated that the steps might be a problem since someone in the party had arthritic knees. Not wanting anything less than a memorable 42nd anniversary for them, I offered Mountain Breeze again with a compromise of the $20 difference in price for $10 less for me and $10 more for them and was declined again. Then the people that was previously interested in Mountain Breeze emailed on the night of Dec 20 and needed a larger cabin because it would not accommodate the change for additional people that wanted to join them. So I called this renter in the a m of Dec 21 asked her, if she would like Mountain Breeze for the same price as Mountain Shadow and her reply was “we will just stay with Rocky Top”. There was nothing else I could think of to do. It is obvious by this review, the trip to Rocky Top was not an enjoyable one. There are no street lights, but there is a security light down by the road on the left side of Rocky Top and one on the right side on the hill beside it that were on. I am truly sorry for anything that we could have prevented. The security light on the end of the porch roof is switch control because some renters wants more darkness later at night, but our sweet cleaning lady that is so conservative minded had turned all of the lights off, although she had been instructed to leave at least 2 lights on at every cabin. Since we were made aware by this review that she was not doing as we had asked her, we have followed up on this matter and reiterated that she really needs to remember to do it and so far she has. My husband regrets that he did not live up to what was expected of him, but at the same time for an eighty year old, he may not have problems with steps so much, but his memory does wobbles a bit. He is still a sweetheart most of the time and has been for 56 years. I am so happy to know that one delightful thing was found at the cabin and hope it made a minute pleasure for there stay. I have always tried to make people with problems with steps and families with toddlers that one of our other cabins are better choices, but I don’t always win. This renter was made aware, but I lost. Some one is coming in this weekend with toddlers that requested Rocky Top and when I tried to offer her another choice, her reply was we have been there before, no problems, we just love this cabin. So what do I do… I do hope your 43rd anniversary will be a 100% improved one and God Bless.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

We stayed in "Dreamland" for a couple nights in October 2011.

The cabin had 2 bedrooms, a full kitchen, a TV, couch, and was decorated nicely. Everything was kept up well and had nice ambience.

The cabin was located down a long road, and there are other cabins and residences located in the same area. A small stream is located behind the cabin-----not exactly a raging river, but a stream nevertheless.

This is dog friendly area----we met at least 3 friendly dogs including one who would greet us at the front door each morning and then upon our return from a day of hiking. We love dogs, so it was nice for us to have the "addition" to the cabin.

Good choice for basecamp in the Great Smokies.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank pdxjeff1959
Also consider these accommodations in or near Townsend
Tremont Lodge and Resort
Dancing Bear Lodge
Dancing Bear Lodge
#1 of 10 in Townsend
Highland Manor Inn & Conference Center

Been to The Wright Cabins? Share your experiences!