“Most horrible cabin we have ever stayed in in 25+ Years”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Townsend
Dogwood Cabins at Trillium Cove
Columbus, Mississippi
“Most horrible cabin we have ever stayed in in 25+ Years”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

In November we rented Heart To Heart. You could never know the meaning of filthy until you rent this cabin. Dust , cobwebs, DIRTY, SWEATY LINENS ON THE BEDS, critters in the attic and the walls, the walls were covered with ladybugs, the floors were covered with dead ladybugs and dead roaches. The kitchen counter tops were dirty and sticky, the kitchen floor was FILTHY, sticky, with. Trash all over it. We were there for 9 (NINE) nights, there was 1 1/4 roll of toilet tissue in each bath, one packet of soap for the dishwasher, NO liquid soap. You could right your name on every piece of furniture in this cabin. Going to set the table for dinner one night, only to face this HUGE lizard in the middle of the table, that took us forever to catch.

The next morn inning when we stopped by the office to get these things a handled we were told that 1. The owners don't have an extermination agreement, so they have to get permission, 2. Ladybugs are an "Endangered Species" and there is a FEDERAL LAW prohibiting them from doing anything to get rid of them, NOR can we kill or spray them!! 3. That the owner only allows 1 1/2 rolls of toilet tissue per bathroom per rental agreement, no matter how long and if we need more, we will have to purchase it, the same with dish soap and dishwasher soap packets. 4. It took them two days to get the Critter Man out to put out traps and cover huge holes where squirrels were coming into the attic at night.

THERE IS NO SUCH FEDERAL LAW PROTECTING THE LADYBUG!! AND, THEY ARE FAR FROM BEING AN ENDANGERED SPECIES, DOGWOOD REALTY JUST COULDN NOTBE BOTHERED!!

The big kicker was that they couldn't refund us our money, didn't have anything else in the same price range, but could move us to another cabin and WE COULD PAY THE DIFFERENCE!!! After all we had gone thru with them!!

I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO KNOW WHO THE OWNERS OF THE CABIN ARE!! I just don' t think the owners know it is being ignored this way!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Rose C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed at the Rivercamp cabin in May 2013. We had a mixed experience.

The cabin was a bit more dated and run-down than the photos showed, but that was OK. It had a lot of space (even though we were just a family of 4) and had lots of toys, puzzles, books, and games that my two small boys really loved. It was a great place to hang out at the end of a day of sightseeing and exploring. The full size kitchen was great for family meals. The downstairs rooms (the bunkbed rooms, and rooms with pingpong and foosball) smelled musty / damp, so we slept in the 3 bedrooms upstairs.

The location was beautiful, on the river and at the end of a long dead-end road. My husband enjoyed being able to fish from the backyard (although we were too late for trout season and he had the wrong stuff for bass; also the river rocks were very slippery to stand on).

The cabin was dirty, however. There were large dust bunnies along the walls and in the corners, there were hairs in the bathtub, there were crumbs on the shelves in the kitchen, and our socks were filthy after just an hour of walking around. I called the management company when we arrived, but it was after-hours on a Saturday and the cleaners weren't able to get back until Monday. The cleaners did a surface clean, but it really needed a good deep clean (which the mgmt company scheduled, but not in time for us.)

There were many, many active wasp nests all over the buildings and carport, which grew visibly larger each day. They had several cans of Raid but all were empty, so we didn't feel comfortable being outside. The literature in the reservation forms warn about wasps, but I didn't realize it would be as bad as it was. I mention this as a caution to those who may be allergic or wary of wasps.

A terrible thunderstorm came through and we lost power, and subsequently water, on our last night . The National Weather Service kept sending out "flash flood warnings" on our phones for our location. We have two small children and we were concerned about being stuck or flooded out without water or power, and unable to reach the management company due to downed power/phone lines, so we moved to a hotel that night. The management company refunded our money for that night, after the fact, which we appreciated.

The pool was closed when we were there just before Memorial Day; it had not opened for the season. I had specifically inquired about the pool when making my reservation, and the reservation agent knew our travel dates. The kids were really disappointed when they learned the pool was closed.

Some of our negative experiences were probably flukes (certainly the storm) and the management company was helpful in resolving the issues we had with cleaning; I just wish they hadn't been an issue in the first place. Due to the wasps, I would not stay here again. I might consider renting with the management company again, as they were responsive and helpful, and they did resolve my requests to my satisfaction.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JennHN
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed with our two teenagers in cardinal cabin on feather mountain. My husband was a little intimidated by the drive up to the cabin but once we got there, the views are incredible! Would recommend arriving for the first time in daylight so not so difficult to find. Cabin is beautiful and just what we were looking for--simple and clean. We will definitely be back!!

Stayed December 2013
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We stay up in laurel valley whenever we vacation we come here throughout the year as well as a couple weeks during Christmas this year we stayed at Adams Eden. I will say initially we had a few issues but Chad took care of them immediately. I like to stay at different locations each time just to have different views. I highly recommend booking through dogwood

• Stayed December 2013
Tennessee
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I got away for the week of Thanksgiving. We stayed in Cabin Fever. It is a beautiful one bedroom with a loft. The cabin was nicely furnished and had lots of good amenities. The staff and service was awesome! The night we checked in the living room TV we could not get the living room TV to work. We called and someone came right away and fixed the issue that could have waited until the next day! During the week we have several recessed lights go out in the kitchen and when we called they were there the next day and the bulbs had been replaced. Kudos to the staff! Will definitely stay here again!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed at one of the Dogwood Cabins the end of October for the fall color in Cades Cove. What a wonderful surprise. We had a very comfortable 2 bedroom unit. Everything was just perfect. The people at Trillium were great to deal with. The cabin had everything we needed. From now on this will be the only place we stay in the Townsend area. This was our fourth trip to Townsend. In the past we have stayed at one of the hotels..but from now on this will be our choice without a doubt. Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: We stayed at the A Oh Kay unit. It was very comfortable and clean..
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ljt123
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

My first experience was disappointing with a stay at the Southern Comfort cabin, mainly because it was filthy upon arrival. After reading through all these other reviews, I can't understand the inconsistency in the service. How much is up to Dogwood and how much is up to the homeowner? It's either fabulous or filthy. Being in the woods you would expect the occasional bug, but it look liked no one had vacuumed in quite some time (it could be that the vacuum in the cabin didn't work and that is the one that was used?) Dust, cobwebs, crumbs inside cabinets, dirty dishes, floors that turned your white socks brown on the bottom along with an unhealthy HVAC unit that had a layer of grime so thick on the intake that you could barely see the slats. There was some sort of animal feces and multiple mousetraps in one closet (?) The kitchen was ill equipped with a rusted coffee maker, a dishwasher (broken racks, missing wheels on the bottom rack that prevented the spinner from even functioning without some creative use of 2 wine corks) that was probably original to the cabin 12 years ago, chipped dishes, beds had worn out mattress covers and nasty yellowed, stains on pillows, light bulbs were out everywhere, the amenities list a charcoal grill, but only a rusted "gas" grill that was unusable existed and the first several hours of "vacation" were spent cleaning - how is this right? The view outside was fabulous if you didn't get a splinter in your behind from the broken wood on the rocking chairs. The hot tub seemed functional - I hope it was cleaned as there was an additional "hot tub cleaning fee" charged, but I'm not confident in this matter due to the condition of the cabin after it had been "cleaned." The cleaning folks need re-trained... or just trained correctly to begin with - I have been in the industry and know that it can be accomplished with some quality control checks and accountability along the way. The cabin in general is badly in need of some updated appliances, new linens, a carpet cleaning, a window cleaning, etc. It wasn't the worst place I've experienced and I will report that my bedbug glue trap came up empty - thankfully. There is a plus - it was bedbug free, for now. It also said NO SMOKING which was a big plus for me on the amenities list, but in the corner of the porch was a butt can full of cigarette butts-what? Did enjoy that the cabin wasn't directly next to other cabins so there was a sense of peaceful serenity out on the porch swing. Being outdoors and enjoying the hills on bike rides around the golf course was fun - have my eye on some other cabins that I might want to check out in the future, but not sure I can trust Dogwood and the false advertising provided on the website. Enjoyed Townsend as opposed to the traffic in Gatlinburg and the close proximity of Smokey Mt. National Park.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank BedBugChecker_73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Townsend
Townsend Gateway Inn
The Inn On The River
The Inn On The River
#2 of 91 in Pigeon Forge
The Lodge at Buckberry Creek

Been to Dogwood Cabins at Trillium Cove? Share your experiences!