“Great Hosts”

Townsend Gateway Inn
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Townsend
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 28 August 2014

If you're looking for decor like a Hampton Inn, check into a Hampton Inn. We stayed three nights in one of their cottages. It was spacious, clean and well maintained. However, the big plus were the hosts. Several times we encountered them on the property, and they would ask things like "could you use some extra ....," "I see you have some kids with you would they like .." While cleaning the room they asked "could I make you some tea?" We are looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Bill K

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I am adding one more great review to all the rest. Townsend Gateway Inn is a wonderful place to stay while visiting the Great Smokies. We stayed in a cabin the first week in August and I cannot find one single negative thing to say. All was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Someone has taken one of the several old strip motels, and completely refurbished it. When my husband and I made the reservation, we didn't know what to expect, but were very pleasantly surprised. I like rustic, but I like very clean and not shabby. I think it was the lack of carpet and the replaced wood laminate floors that made the place look really good inside. On the outside there were rocking chairs that overlooked a highway in the distance (not close enough to be noisy, but there really wasn't much traffic anyway), and on the other side was the Little River with lots of tubing companies within walking distance. We loved sitting there each night people watching after 2 days of vigorous activities. We both personally liked the fact that it was not back in the boonies, yet it had a mountain feeling to it. We thoroughly enjoyed staying there.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I booked this Inn because of the reviews I read on here. It did not disappoint. We were allowed to check in early and were made to feel at home right away. The room was updated and super clean. The beds and pillows were very clean and comfy. The staff were constantly working and the rooms were cleaned very early everyday. The staff was very friendly and caring. It felt like home. Very quiet and pride in ownership showed. We loved how close it was to the Park and Foothills Parkway. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank b0nnie294
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Just returned home from a stay at Townsend Gateway, 8-3/6-14 while exploring The Great Smoky Mountains. This is a top notch facility from the bottom up. The common grounds are well kept, and my king room was spotless and well appointed. Far exceeded my expectations for a small private enterprise. These folks take great pride in their endeavor. Great location close in to the Park. And convenient to grocery and restaurants. I really liked their eco outlook. All the other guests were very friendly, we enjoyed many day end conversations. If you're a hiker, find Mike. He's the resident expert and will send you on your way with great info. This may not be a great place for families with children that need on-site entertainment. When I return, this is my place. Look no further!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank 57Shadow
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Booked this place because of the good reviews. You couldn't ask for a cleaner place. I was a little disappointed we didn't one of the room that had been renovated but everything turned out okay. Bathroom was a little small. The beds were comfy and everything was super clean. That's very important in my book. The only down side was the a/c was very loud.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I chose to stay here July 21-24, 2014 after reading many reviews of motels in Townsend, TN. while we explored the Smokies. We loved it! Colleen and Pete were very friendly and we enjoyed chatting with them about the area attractions and restaurants, as well as other subjects that came up. The grounds are lovely with flower gardens and the rocking chairs on the porch were perfect for drinking coffee in the morning, and having a beer and glass of wine in the evening after a full day of sightseeing. The other guests were friendly and most stopped to chat as they walked around or sat outside. The snack basket was a welcome treat that served as a quick breakfast. Pete recommended a good place for ribs and a Mexican restaurant, both within walking distance, and we ate at both. There are a few good family restaurants close by, too, and we tried some of those as well.
A large family arrived late one evening without reservations and I watched as Pete checked them into a cabin and brought a roll away bed and linens down through the parking lot to give them more sleeping accommodations.
Our king bed room was quite large and comfortable and our car was parked right outside the door. My only concern was that we did not figure out how to adjust the A/C and it ran constantly at 73 degrees, a bit loud for talking or watching TV. Perhaps we should have asked for help the first night!
Most of the guests we noticed were adults without young children. Although this motel surely is comfortable for families, there is no pool to entertain young ones. There is a horse shoe pit and large grassy area for playing Frisbee, etc, and also a welcoming deck with a fire pit. For those wanting some water activities for kids there are a few tubing attractions and go carts within walking distance. But then, most who come here are exploring the Smokies.
In hindsight, we wish we had reserved one more night here instead of driving on to our next destination before coming home!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Russer075
Also consider these accommodations in or near Townsend
Best Western Cades Cove Inn
Historic Tapoco Lodge Resort
Historic Tapoco Lodge Resort
#2 of 6 in Robbinsville
Motel 6 Gatlinburg Smoky Mountains

Been to Townsend Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!