Townsend / Great Smokies KOA
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Best Western Cades Cove Inn(Townsend)(Great Value!)
US$106
Highland Manor Inn & Conference Center(Townsend)(Great Value!)
US$137
Townsend Gateway Inn(Townsend)(Great Value!)
US$114
Travelocity
US$148
US$195
US$190
Talley Ho Inn(Townsend)
  • Pool
All reviewsdeluxe cabingas stationthe riverclean campgroundfire pitbunk bedsgas grillgreat playgroundhay ridesoff leashbath housebasketball courtcades coverv sitescamp storebig lotsleash free dog
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 October 2012

The good: We have camped with Townsend KOA for many years now, dating back to when it was Little River Campground. Though the prices have steadily increased, we still love camping there, knowing the only germs we are sharing belong to our family! lol

Though we liked Tremont, if you want to stay on the river to hear splashing water and not Harley Davidson Motorcycles, go with KOA. A natural sharp bend in Little River blessed them with river sites that are quiet and peaceful, and as far from the highway as you can get without getting wet.

The employees and staff go out of their way to give you a smile and a good experience during your stay. If we ever have an emergency or any kind of need, they are quick to respond. Bathhouses are clean, campground is spotless, and most spots don't have you elbow to elbow with other campers. The last spot we stayed in was 121, on the river. It is HUGE!

They offer lots of fun activities for kids and adults on Saturdays, like Bingo, Tie-Dye, Hay rides, and movies. Our two Bostons loved the fenced-in dog park: LOTS of room to run off-leash and chase a ball or frisbee.

The BAD: One disappointment was the restaurant/store. It seems... cheapened somehow? Can't put my finger on it, unless it is the tacky merchandise. There are lots of 'not cheap' souvenirs they could offer: local arts and crafts on consignment, better quality commercial items... Minnetonka moccasins used to be sold there years ago, and I remember longing for a pair as a little girl. I loved looking at all the colors and styles. Also, plain food would be more appreciated, I think. We started to have a meal there one afternoon last week, and nothing on the menu appealed to any of us (two adults and 3 kids aged 6-11). We opted to drive to Pizza Hut.

The UGLY: While I appreciate people's right to enjoy a beer, groups of people drinking and watching football, etc, in a campground doesn't sit well with me. The more they drink, the louder they get, usually coinciding with loudest after 9 or 10 o'clock at night. The employees have all gone home, and other campers have no recourse but to lie awake and listen to the ***holes and their rudeness. Unfortunately, if you have kids, they are exposed to more and more cussing and lewd behavior as the night wears on. It would be nice if KOA would leave a couple of older men patrolling the campground at night, or even a security guard.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 3 October 2012 via mobile

If you like a non-commercialized Smokey Mountains experience this is the place! Very quiet area, woodsy, right on the river for kids to play in the rocks. Nice playground, clean bath house, friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank QueenaKentucky
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My wife and I love camping. So we wanted to introduce our 3.5 year old and 5 yearr old girls to the experience. This place was awesome from start to finish. Very clean campground with extremely clean bathouses. There were also portable toilets placed throughout campground and these things were extremely clean. The playground, pool and arcade were awsome for the kids. The sites are nice and shady. We were on the river and the site was large enough to not feel cramped. There is a picnic table and fire ring on the site. I would suggest tent pads and air matresses as our tent was partially on gravel. The Staff at this KOA was superb. Extremely friendly. These people always were riding around on their carts and delivering ice or wood to campers, cleaning, directing lost campers (me), and answering 3 million questions with a smile on their face. I would definately recommend this KOA to anyone, especially those with small kids. We are already planning our next trip and it will be back here at this KOA. No doubt about it.

Room Tip: Definately go with riverside site no matter if you stay in cabin, camper, or tent.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Mark C
Reviewed 9 September 2012

In early August three of my camping buddies and I spent three nights in Lodge Two in this KOA. We are all over 45. We chose the campground because of its easy access Cades Cove and other parts of the western side of the GSMNP. We had a great view of the river from our deck. We watched tubers float down the river through a thin stand of trees. One afternoon we were the tubers. You can launch rent and launch at the KOA. One guy got the bedroom with his own TV. I slept on the fold-out couch in the living room. The loft was spacious enough for two queen size matteresses (one came with cabin).

The deck was spacious, had a table with four chairs and a large gas with side burner. The decks of the adjacent lodges are rather close but their L-shaped gave some privacy and a chance to chat with the neighbors.

The kitchen space inside included a microwave, an under-the-counter frig and sink (also served as "bathroom" sink). This cabin was more expensive than the other cabin we stayed in on the NC side but was newer and had the pay for view of the river.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Bill K
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Our cabin was spotless. It looked new and probably was. Nice patio and fire ring for camp fire and the pool was clean and close. Not much to look at as far as scenery within the campground where we were located, but there are some water front sites. I enjoyed walking around as most of the place is nicely shaded w/ mature trees. It was a little weird at first at check in, as the computers were down and seems as though corporate doesn't allow their employees to rent cabins if this happens?!?!?!? Staff did make an exception and rented me a room after a weird conversation and my getting upset about it. Kind of made for an uncomfortable introduction, however, the remainder of my stay the staff was very, very nice. A store/gas station is attached and the location of the campground was wonderful. Right at the foot hills of the Smoky Mtns...It is REALLY quiet this side of the Smoky Mts, which was a nice change of pace compared to Cherokee, NC. Overall, it was nice...pricey, very pricey, but worth it for a night or two.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the water if you want scenery!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family