“Runaway tractor almost killed my children and 7 others.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Townsend
Tremont Outdoor Resort
Franklin, North Carolina
“Runaway tractor almost killed my children and 7 others.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

CG staff left tractor in neutral on top of the hill. The runaway tractor was heading straight for the playground with my 2 children and 7 other nieces and nephews. The tractor clipped the corner of an old building and stopped the runaway tractor 50ft from the kids. CG staff never even apologized. They actually got an attitude about it.
They failed to mention their bridge was under construction, 1 lane, 9ft wide, construction crews, cranes, metal pounding, you get the picture. It sounded like thunder anytime someone drove over the bridge, even at night.
Don't even bother with sites B and C if you have any kind of camper. They have just spread gravel on the hill side and called it a day.
All of this for $74.99 a night for 2 adults and 2 children under 10. Save your time and go to the KOA, it's right next door and much nicer.

Room Tip: Stay on loop "A" if you must go. B and C are obviously a poorly thought out after thought...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jeff D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Chippewa Lake, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

We stayed in the Knotty Pine cabin and we can't wait to go back. Beautiful, quiet, a jacuzzi, porch swing and the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

I previously wrote a very negative review of Tremont Outdoor Resort based on the fact that what I was quoted for a stay over last Thanksgiving and what I ended up being charged when leaving ended up being entirely different. I have since rescinded that review thanks to the absolutely stunning and completely, in my view, unheard of interjection by the owner of the property, Mr. Wilson Reynolds.

The reason the fact he contacted me at all blew me away is for two reasons: (1.) In this day and age, its rare for most to exhibit the kind of genuine caring and customer service to the degree that they freely admit they make a mistake and try to make amends for it at all just in general, but more specifically in this case... (2.) Mr. Reynolds, for those who know nothing about him (which included me prior to him contacting me) owns several vacation properties in different parts of the country, as well as operates a professional photography business and also does work for several different television shows, including having done some work for Deadliest Catch. He obviously must be an extremely busy man on various fronts, but yet it was important enough to him that any interactions the people he serves is done on a proper and ethical basis that he didn't even just simply have the company contact me to try and rectify things, but rather he did so himself, personally.

Even if all I received was a phone call alone with an apology, I would have been amazed and extremely impressed, but he did direct Tremont to issue me a refund. It wasn't a complete refund between the difference I was quoted and what I ended up paying, but it was a refund between what I paid and what I should have legitimately been charged given their holiday policy, and Mr. Wilson went further in our conversation to extend me the offer of a free weekend on top of that to one of his properties. I can't express properly in words just how amazed and impressed I was by his taking the time out of his day to contact me personally, to apologize and try to rectify the situation in order to turn me from a disgruntled customer into a happy one, and on that basis alone, I would happily recommend consideration of any of his properties (you can find info about some of them through his personal website, http://www.wilsonreynolds.com/.

As for the specifics of our stay last Thanksgiving (2010), in general it was wonderful. We stayed in the Mountain Splendor cabin, and the location was great, the cleanliness was great, and the amenities were mostly great. The only thing we had an issue with was the wireless internet not working which couldn't be resolved during our stay, and aside from that, the only caveat amenity wise I'd perhaps take a slight issue with given the cost involved for rental of this cabin is the lack of a more modern and a bit larger widescreen television. But for the most part, our actual stay was wonderful and with Mr. Reynolds' generous offer on two fronts to rectify the main issue I had, I can definitely give this place a positive review now.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tgroce
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

We have been camping here several times a year for 5 years. It is a wonderful place to camp. Clean, quiet and the staff is always available to assist you in whatever you need. We try to get a site next to the river. The river sites have a covered deck which is so nice, especially when it rains and still be able to sit beside the river. The owner of Tremont is a professional photographer and has a Photography Workshop in the Spring and in the Fall. We have attended these and have met so many wonderful and fun people, plus he has taught us so much about photography. They have just redone their pool, it is wonderful for the children and adults. The bathhouses have been remodeled and are always spotless. I would highly recommend this campground to everyone.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank camper1103
Berlin, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

We love Tremont Outdoor Resort. We have stayed in the cabins many times. Have found them to be clean and very comfortable. The staff is so knowledgeable about the area and very helpful. I don't understand all the negative reviews. All of our friends who have stayed in cabins or camped there were very happy. The setting is beautiful, location is amazing - right next to the Smokies! Every year we have seen improvements and we just keep going back! Sometimes just the two of us, sometimes with a group. One time everything was full and we had to go somewhere else. Not good. We now make reservations as far in advance as possible to be sure we can stay at Tremont.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank liketravel77
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

Park is located just a mikle or so from the entrance to the Great Smokey Mtn National park and a great place to stay in the spring to view and photograph the many wilsflowers in the area. Had a site on the river with a covered deck which was quite nice even thou the river was quite high to rains. Staff was friendly and helped us find the flowers we were looking for. My new favorite camping location in the area.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank hiker1953
Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

I've rented several varieties of cabins, hotels, chalets, etc. over the years but this has to be the WORST place I have ever stayed in. We stayed in one of their "premiere" cabins...which is a joke. The place had not been cleaned, spiders, cob webs, HUNDREDs of dead lady bugs. It's not like they were busy, it appeared we were only the second cabin that was rented while we were there.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank hornetmom97
Also consider these accommodations in or near Townsend
Tremont Lodge and Resort
Highland Manor Inn & Conference Center
Bear Cove Village
Bear Cove Village
#18 of 54 in Pigeon Forge

Been to Tremont Outdoor Resort? Share your experiences!