“NOT CUSTOMER OR MILITARY FAMILY FRIENDLY”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Townsend
Tremont Outdoor Resort
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I made a reservation by phone (since you can't make them online). Nothing was said to me about the deposit not being refundable. Due to my family being military, we had to cancel the reservation just a few days later, but still 60 days out. When I asked about a refund of the deposit ($175), I was told NO! THEY DON'T GIVE REFUNDS....IT'S THEIR "POLICY". I spoke with the manager and tried to explain that I was not told up front about this policy, and IT IS NOT ON THEIR WEBSITE! She said it was on my confirmation (after it was charged to my credit card!) I also tried to explain that I was a past customer, and this was a military reason, completely out of our control. She refused to work with me and kept referring to their "POLICY" that has been in place for 20 years. I have up to one year from the date of my reservation to reschedule another stay and they will transfer "a portion" of my deposit to that reservation. However, after being treated the way I was, I am willing to write off the money rather than stay with them and give them more money! I will NEVER stay with TREMONT OUTDOOR RESORT again! I hope that everyone planning a trip to the Great Smokey Mountains will stay somewhere else! This company does not comprehend Customer Service. This is a slap in the face to our Military Families! DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE! THEY ARE NOT UPFRONT WITH YOU ..VERY DECEPTIVE....AND WILL NOT DO THE RIGHT THING!

Room Tip: Get a Cabin further up the river
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank Tina B

Reviewed 9 December 2011

First, let me say that the location is gorgeous (right next to the river but there are many campgrounds next to the river) and proximity to everything is great. Staff is friendly. However, this place is expensive but I knew that going into it. $35 base rate for 2 people and $4 per day/ person after that. Also, $5 per extra car/ per day. We had 4 adults & 2 cars which brought our daily rate to $48 + 14.25% tax. I went in Sat morning to tell them that Sat night, we would only have 3 ppl so could they knock off the extra $4 charge since she wouldn't be there. Sorry, no refunds. Ok. I asked if we could do a late checkout and was told it would be $3 hr. Really? This place was EMPTY! We had already spent $275 and couldn't stay a bit longer without getting charged?! We decided to stay a 6th night so late checkout didn't matter anymore. They initially undercharged us for the 6th night but quickly REFUNDED that and re-charged the correct amount. Thought there wasn't any refunds?! I would not stay here again because of the expense and their unwillingness to budge. It was nice this time of year because of the privacy but any other time, you would feel on top of each other. Office hours are silly too: 10am- Noon. Closed Noon-3pm. 3pm- 5pm.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Now_Picture_This
Reviewed 9 October 2011

CG staff left tractor in neutral on top of the hill. The runaway tractor was heading straight for the playground with my 2 children and 7 other nieces and nephews. The tractor clipped the corner of an old building and stopped the runaway tractor 50ft from the kids. CG staff never even apologized. They actually got an attitude about it.
They failed to mention their bridge was under construction, 1 lane, 9ft wide, construction crews, cranes, metal pounding, you get the picture. It sounded like thunder anytime someone drove over the bridge, even at night.
Don't even bother with sites B and C if you have any kind of camper. They have just spread gravel on the hill side and called it a day.
All of this for $74.99 a night for 2 adults and 2 children under 10. Save your time and go to the KOA, it's right next door and much nicer.

Room Tip: Stay on loop "A" if you must go. B and C are obviously a poorly thought out after thought...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Jeff D
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We stayed in the Knotty Pine cabin and we can't wait to go back. Beautiful, quiet, a jacuzzi, porch swing and the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blackirishdave
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I previously wrote a very negative review of Tremont Outdoor Resort based on the fact that what I was quoted for a stay over last Thanksgiving and what I ended up being charged when leaving ended up being entirely different. I have since rescinded that review thanks to the absolutely stunning and completely, in my view, unheard of interjection by the owner of the property, Mr. Wilson Reynolds.

The reason the fact he contacted me at all blew me away is for two reasons: (1.) In this day and age, its rare for most to exhibit the kind of genuine caring and customer service to the degree that they freely admit they make a mistake and try to make amends for it at all just in general, but more specifically in this case... (2.) Mr. Reynolds, for those who know nothing about him (which included me prior to him contacting me) owns several vacation properties in different parts of the country, as well as operates a professional photography business and also does work for several different television shows, including having done some work for Deadliest Catch. He obviously must be an extremely busy man on various fronts, but yet it was important enough to him that any interactions the people he serves is done on a proper and ethical basis that he didn't even just simply have the company contact me to try and rectify things, but rather he did so himself, personally.

Even if all I received was a phone call alone with an apology, I would have been amazed and extremely impressed, but he did direct Tremont to issue me a refund. It wasn't a complete refund between the difference I was quoted and what I ended up paying, but it was a refund between what I paid and what I should have legitimately been charged given their holiday policy, and Mr. Wilson went further in our conversation to extend me the offer of a free weekend on top of that to one of his properties. I can't express properly in words just how amazed and impressed I was by his taking the time out of his day to contact me personally, to apologize and try to rectify the situation in order to turn me from a disgruntled customer into a happy one, and on that basis alone, I would happily recommend consideration of any of his properties (you can find info about some of them through his personal website, http://www.wilsonreynolds.com/.

As for the specifics of our stay last Thanksgiving (2010), in general it was wonderful. We stayed in the Mountain Splendor cabin, and the location was great, the cleanliness was great, and the amenities were mostly great. The only thing we had an issue with was the wireless internet not working which couldn't be resolved during our stay, and aside from that, the only caveat amenity wise I'd perhaps take a slight issue with given the cost involved for rental of this cabin is the lack of a more modern and a bit larger widescreen television. But for the most part, our actual stay was wonderful and with Mr. Reynolds' generous offer on two fronts to rectify the main issue I had, I can definitely give this place a positive review now.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tgroce
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We have been camping here several times a year for 5 years. It is a wonderful place to camp. Clean, quiet and the staff is always available to assist you in whatever you need. We try to get a site next to the river. The river sites have a covered deck which is so nice, especially when it rains and still be able to sit beside the river. The owner of Tremont is a professional photographer and has a Photography Workshop in the Spring and in the Fall. We have attended these and have met so many wonderful and fun people, plus he has taught us so much about photography. They have just redone their pool, it is wonderful for the children and adults. The bathhouses have been remodeled and are always spotless. I would highly recommend this campground to everyone.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank camper1103
Reviewed 20 May 2011

We love Tremont Outdoor Resort. We have stayed in the cabins many times. Have found them to be clean and very comfortable. The staff is so knowledgeable about the area and very helpful. I don't understand all the negative reviews. All of our friends who have stayed in cabins or camped there were very happy. The setting is beautiful, location is amazing - right next to the Smokies! Every year we have seen improvements and we just keep going back! Sometimes just the two of us, sometimes with a group. One time everything was full and we had to go somewhere else. Not good. We now make reservations as far in advance as possible to be sure we can stay at Tremont.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple