“amazing dining spot”

Black Bear Cafe
Ranked #3 of 40 Restaurants in Townsend
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This was an amazing find in a small town we found on our annual trip to Tennessee. We were driving thru town around 2 each day and noticed cars were always there so we decided to drop in with our crew of ten. This waitress has the most pleasant greeting for us and it just got better after that. We all ordered our meals. I decided on a Reuben sandwich which I have to admit was the best one I have ever had and I have had a great many of them. The rest of the family had similar comments on their choices. We did notice that their was an orange cake mentioned in some reviews. I asked for a piece and was told none had been made for a few days, but in a minute or so out came the waitresses mom who is the owner and said she would be glad to make me one for tomorrow and have it ready by 11. I said o.k. and thought ha ha never happen but just for the fun of it dropped by at 11:15 next day with my grandson and said I would like 4 pieces of orange cake to go. Out came the cake but only three pieces. Then here came her mother with a monster piece of cake just for me. Then to top it off she gave us a discount . Folks these kinds of places are hard to find and when you do be sure and drop in and you will be glad you did. We can hardly wait until next year and see these folks again.

2  Thank txbuddy

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stopped here after going to the Tuckaleechee Caverns (which I would also suggest). Homestyle cooking. Good food, good desserts, and very friendly staff. Enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Food was below average. One of the waitresses obviously did not like kids. Awful experience! Locals told us it was great. Not sure why????

Reviewed 12 July 2014

First off let me say that we know the owners. My husband and I go way back, old school with Tammy! She was an excellent southern cook back in the day. She absolutely cares about what she serves her guest! When she married Randy, they compliment each other at this restaurant! He equally cares and on top of that is a fantastic cook! These two know what they are doing, when it comes to pleasing their guests/customer. Obvisously so, as the parking lot and inside were full! My husband and I visited this past week for the first time. We started off with salads that came out fresh. No brown lettuce here, folks! He had the ribeye steak and I had the grilled chicken with fries. OMG! It was so good, y'all!!! Tammy explained that the chicken comes in fresh, never frozen! The steaks are butchered right there in the diner. I loved my fries too! How can fries be that good? Our waitress, I didn't catch her name, did a phenomonal job! She kept our glasses filled, but was not overbearing. Come knowing that they are going to treat you like family! Down-home family feel! We look forward to coming back and I'll probably try the ribeye, next!

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Left my camera back at the cabin, so no pictures Smaller than I thought but the food was great! I had the special, fried grouper, hush puppies, greens, and pinto beans. Delicious! I'm not usually a fan of tartar sauce, but they had some homemade sauce they served with my dinner and it made me a fan! My son had the lemon pepper chicken and hubby had the chopped steak. No complaints and their plates were clean at the end! Reasonable prices...Chocolate chip cookies were awesome too!

1  Thank Craniumk