“Yummiest BBQ in the Smoky Mountains”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Smokin Joes

Smokin Joes
Ranked #6 of 39 Restaurants in Townsend
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Yummiest BBQ in the Smoky Mountains”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Smokin' Joe's is a great mom and pop restaurant that offers excellent food, a very pleasant ambience, and great prices. Their BBQ pit is situated in front of the restaurant, so when you are driving through Townsend towards Great Smoky Mountains National Park, you can't help but pick up the aroma of BBQ on the grill. Their hush puppies are an absolute must. We recommend ordering them as an appetizer and sharing with others at the table. You will want to order at least 2 sides with your sandwich because they are the tastiest sides you will find in any restaurant in the South. I always order the baked beans and potato salad. There is no doubt the hush puppies are the best you will find anywhere. Smokin' Joe's is a must stop on your travels to the Smoky Mountains. The service is somewhat slow but well worth the wait.

1 Thank KDS37930

Floyd, Virginia
“AMAZING!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Truely the best chicken we have ever eaten! We tried the barbecued half chicken with spicy sauce and also with honey mustard sauce served on the side....we ended up using no sauce at all!!!! Absolutely Delicious!

St. Louis, MO
“Good lunch - perfect for sharing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I'm not a big BBQ fan but my husband had eaten here before so we stopped for Friday lunch during a recent motorcycle trip. We shared a salad and the big brisket sandwich with sides of coleslaw and corn nuggets (creamy corn, battered and deep fried). It was the first time we had tried (or heard of) corn nuggets but they were very good. Our meal was the perfect size for sharing and no refills were needed since the iced tea and lemonade were served in mason jars. Service was very good, the prices were good for the quantity and quality of food. We definitely will return on our next stay in Townsend.

Michigan
“Best ribs I ever had!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

My husband, daughter and I were in town for a few days and wanted to have some BBQ. Smoking Joes was recommended by Ashley at the visitors center and we're glad she did, best ribs ever!! They give you your choice of sauce for them, but you don't need any. They also have great fried green tomatos. Try Smoking Joes, you won't be disappointed! :)

1 Thank BABYGIRLMichigan
Dayton, OH
“Great Lunch stop!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stopped here based on the recommendation from our guide at the Tuckaleechee Caverns (see review!). We definitely needed some s sustenance after our tour and Smokin Joe's fit the bill.

We were after the lunch rush so we weren't able to sample the onion rings or one of the meats and we were only able to get 1 child's lemonade and 1 adult (HUGE MASON JAR) lemonade. My dad, for whatever reason a person does, wanted coffee on a hot, humid day. He seemed to like it. I loved the sweet tea and there were no complaints about the water (thought, more rapid refills would be nice).

The sauces are definitely Western NC style. The Spicy was the just perfect amount of spice for my chopped pork. It highlighted the smoky flavor the meat without masking it. My sister-in-law loved her chicken with the hot sauce and said the sauce was hot enough to burn her mouth but flavorful. My husban's mild sauce almost tasted like a delicious gravy.

SIL was wasn't a fan of the pasta salad but I thought it had a great clean and fresh flavor. It was mayo based with fresh chives and onions and shredded cheese. The white beans were delicous but the corn bread was just ok. The hush puppies were some of the best I have ever had (even without buttering them). The fried dill pickles are spears rather than slices and came with a mustard or horseradish sauce. I was all over the white sauce. Even my toddler enjoyed it.

The Poppers and chicken strips seemed to be fresh from the freezer but everything else seem to be prepared freshly.

For dessert I wisely went with the Peacan Cobbler (like an upside down pecan pie) and enjoyed it immensely. My SIL had the strawberry cobbler and loved it as well. My sister wasn't keen on the apple dumpling and said it lacked flavor. For those with littles - even though the bathroom door said there was a changing table, there wasn't.

Price wise - about 30$ for the ribs for 2. Sandwiches ran about 5$ plus $3 for 2 sides. Kiddie meals were in the $4 range and came with fries.

• Visited May 2014

Been to Smokin Joes? Share your experiences!