“Think twice...”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Townsend
Socrates9900
“Think twice...”
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Nice overnight stay and good meal, but think twice before planning an event or wedding at the lodge. Getting someone to return your call or even act like they care is next to impossible. The affiliation puts Blackberry Farms in a shameful light.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Socrates9900
DancingBearOwner, Owner at Dancing Bear Lodge, responded to this review, 11 November 2009
Dear Socrates9900,

I read your review. On behalf of my team, I apologize that we did not respond to your questions. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to answer any questions and send you information.

Best,

Matt Alexander
Managing Partner
865-448-6906

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Lexington, KY
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We visited Townsend, TN to spend the weekend hiking in the Smokies. Dancing Bear Lodge offered a comfortable, secluded stay very close to the park. Rooms were clean and overall the lodge was quiet. The lower level rooms are subject to the noise of the back porch where people gather for drinks at night. I would recommend staying on the second floor if possible. Continental breakfast was very nice- healthy cereals, quiche, yogurt, bagels & fruit. Also offer coffee & tea, which was nice. The lodge featherbeds were absolutely amazing, as described by others. Not a luxury lodge, so a bit pricey for what you get, but overall we would enjoy another stay.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bsmith410
UK
Reviewed 4 February 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Dancing Bear for a couple of nights in March '08 as part of a US road trip to celebrate our 50th birthdays.

We did enjoy our stay, and returned to the UK with good memories. However, nine months later, I discovered that the Lodge decided to charge my credit card $260 for a nights stay at the end of December. On contacting them, I was informed that they had a guest of the same name and had used my card in error. I was really surprised that a) they had made an unauthorised charge and b) they had retained my credit card details. Whilst I have received a refund I have still made a financial loss due to currency fluctuations when converting to £.
In raising this with the lodge I have failed to get any response at all.

Therefore, my message to anyone of thinking of visiting the Dancing Bear is enjoy the ambience and food, but beware their financial controls! Get them to destroy your card details before you leave.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Steve0909
KY
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We have just returned from a wonderful couple of days at the beautiful Dancing Bear Lodge in Townsend, TN. This is truly the quiet side of the mountain, and if you're planning a trip to the Smokies, I recommend that you consider this Lodge as your base camp. Whether you choose to spend your time on the property or visit the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, you won't be disappointed. We chose a room in the Lodge, but there are also cabins. There is a dining room and a continental breakfast is included in the rate. There are beautifully furnished areas for relaxing, reading and watching TV. I suppose that my only complaint would be that they didn't start the coffee early enough in the morning, but I found the staff to be very helpful and we look forward to returning to the Dancing Bear Lodge.

• Liked — Beautiful surroundings
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KyRosecreek
Atlanta
Reviewed 21 August 2008

Our daughter was married at the Dancing Bear Lodge on July 26th. Relatives and friends filled the lodge except for one cabin. We had the rehearsal dinner, the wedding and the reception at the Dancing Bear. The setting was beautiful, accommodations were excellent and the staff went above and beyond to make everything perfect. The food was also excellent. The only problem we had was with a very rude DJ but luckily the Dancing Bear management asked him to leave and found a great replacement. Friends and family could not believe what a fantastic place we found to have our daughter's wedding!

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank lskmom
Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2008

This hotel is clearly represented on it's website. It's "one-bedroom" cabin is actually a one room cabin with the refrigerator right next to the bed and the jacuzzi tub in the living area. There is no walk in closet as advertised, just a small armoir. The bathroom is TINY with cheap appliances and fixtures. The kitchen is poorly equipped. There is no comfortable porch furniture so we actually moved the couch from the cabin outside to the porch! The staff for the most part is unorganized and makes excuses. The breakfast is not worth getting up for and they constantly ran out of things. The fron desk personnell don't have much to offer in the way of tourist guidance ex: good bike trails or the best hiking trails. Housekeeping doesn't show up until around 4:00! Our back porch looked over a farm where one night they were go carting until after 9pm. Not very quiet or serene. This is a lot of money for what you're getting here.

• Liked — It's proximity to Great Smoky Mountain National Park
  • Disliked — The quality of the cabins
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank amk5215
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 15 June 2008

We went back for three nights after two years. The place is beautiful. My family of four stay in the 2 bedroom cabins and they are great. The restaurant is "lick the plate clean" good. Even my kids, who are picky, loved everything. The bring out smores every night and you can roast them on the outside patio. There are fireflies at night. Every inch of the place is beautiful - every detail. I highly recommend this place. Don't stay in Gatlinberg or Pigeon Forge - the Dancing Bear in Townsend can't be beat and you are minutes from the park. The Little River is near and is a great float ride.

• Liked — beautiful setting, fantastic restaurant
  • Disliked — wish I could go more often
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Linda C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Townsend
Townsend Gateway Inn
#2 of 91 in Pigeon Forge
Courtyard Marriott Pigeon Forge
Courtyard Marriott Pigeon Forge
#1 of 91 in Pigeon Forge

Been to Dancing Bear Lodge? Share your experiences!