“Our suite was nice, our check in process was atrocious.”

Best Western Cades Cove Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Townsend
“Our suite was nice, our check in process was atrocious.”
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here the night before my wedding, and as if I wasn't stressed enough, the credit card that my mother had reserved the room with had expired since she made the reservation. I know that there was no way her card would have declined, so I suggested that if we called her, it could be straightened out. Apparently this is against company policy and they can't possibly take a card over the phone, which in my opinion, is bureaucratic corporate nonsense. In addition, we had a large group of wedding guests
and were bringing quite a lot of business to a town that is notorious for businesses failing. The only reason we used this hotel was a lack of other options, and they barely gave us any type incentive or discount for staying with them. So, with that being said, my mother had already called about the expiration date issue and worked it out 2 days prior to my check in. I asked Alesha ( I think that was her name) if we could call my mom and work this out, being as I was not prepared to spend over 300 for a stay that I thought was taken care of. As I handed her my phone she did nothing but roll her eyes, act put out, and treat me like a customer she had no interest in helping.
1. This should have been taken care of before my arrival ( a Call would have helped, this was close to 11 at night after my rehearsal dinner)
2. A phone call with a credit card number should not have been a big deal, especially since my family brought in quite a bit of money for using this hotel for or wedding accommodations for out of town guests.
3. The entire situation was completely unprofessionally handled, because the availability of funds was not the issue, but the fact that she booked it so far in advance that the card had expired, and this would have been easily remedied by a phone call from the hotel prior to check in.
4. Lastly, I had to ask my mother to leave her house after hosting all evening and planning a beautiful rehearsal dinner, to drive down at 11:00pm to produce her credit card so they could swipe.
In my opinion, stay elsewhere, there are plenty of b&b's in the area that are charming, family run, customer oriented, and would not have
treated a customer like this. This is another example of why it is always a better bet to support a local business rather than a large corporate business, because they care more about policy than people.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Dyevrwon
EconoLodge342, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Cades Cove Inn, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Our management was on site during this issue at hand. Our policy is that at check in all credit cards are scanned. It's our company policy. First is to protect our customers, and second is to prevent stolen credit cards. We don't look at prior approvals until checkin, we do this at the time of reservation. I do apologize that you feel mistreated however that is your perception. Our staff only done what they are taught to do.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Columbus
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Older motel that has been updated. Check-in was smooth and friendly. Room was clean and neat but I did not care for the room decoration. Too mod for me. Breakfast was good with fresh fruit and the internet worked well. Would stay again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast and your stay. Hopefully we will see you again on the future.
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were spacious and clean. Breakfast was good with a wide variety of selections. Great proximity to Cades Cove.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again on the future.
Oxford, United States
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Wonderful service; wonderful breakfast; peaceful and relaxing; beautiful views. We loved the rocking chairs outside the room. The breakfast was really good. We will stay there again when we are in Townsend.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am glad you all enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We have been to Townsend many times, but had not stayed at the Best Western in a few years. It is an older hotel and somewhat dated, but very well maintained. It has a decent pool and the rooms are quite large. There are nice rocking chairs outside the door. It is close to everything you would want to see at the park. It is not far from Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, but the charm of Townsend is that it is peaceful and you can really soak up the beauty of that area whereas the other side of the mountains is a real tourist trap. My only complaint was that our room was a little musty smelling. We had a little trouble with our phone and someone came immediately to look at it - the staff is excellent. I have to say that the breakfast was the best we have had in a long while and we usually stay at Hampton Inns and Fairfield Inns. Lots of fresh hot coffee, eggs, sausage, cereal, yogurt, fruit, the works. There is a nice view of the mountains from the dining area. For the price, this hotel is a good value (we had the AARP rate) and I would stay here again. If you cannot do stairs, ask for a room on the lower level. All the rooms open to the outside and you may be able to park your car right outside your room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lower level if you cannot do stairs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gnizoons1
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Maybee, United States
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Hotel is at the edge of the Smokey Mountain National Park. There is always something to do nearby. At the end of a long day, one can rest by the pool or in the rocking chair, just out side the rooms door. Located minutes from Cades Cove, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Dolly Wood, it is a great place to relax. Helpful staff made it easy to get checked in and enjoy our vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Russell B
I am glad your stay was relaxing and restful. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Harvest, Alabama
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We booked a suite and WOW, the room/suite was extra large. We brought our bikes to ride in Cade's Cove and had plenty of room to store the bikes in the suite. Suite had hot tub and fireplace, but we didn't use either one of them. Relatively quiet, with only slight road noise. This hotel is two story with no elevator and all rooms open to the outside. Not a problem, but the stairs were a little tight in maneuvering the bikes up. I always comment on water pressure, because I hate little or no water pressure in hotel rooms. Water pressure was awful, thankfully I don't have long hair because in order to get all the shampoo out I had to revert to using the shower as a tub to have enough pressure to remove all the shampoo. There is a refrigerator in room and because of suite we had extra sink area also.
Hotel does provide a hot breakfast with both a pancake machine and waffle maker. Eggs were really dry, grits were ok and juice was standard machine juice.
Front desk staff was friendly enough, but hesitant to supply extra towels. We eventually got them, after I explained that we were still cleaning up from riding bikes when room was to be serviced, but they didn't come back to clean room so the next morning we needed more towels. However, if they are not going to come back and service (clean) the room then they need large garbage cans.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ReunionBound
I am glad the room was larger enough for you, and apologize for the water pressure and issue with towels. I will forward on to maintenance regarding those issues at hand.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Townsend
Townsend Gateway Inn
Bearskin Lodge on the River Hotel
Courtyard Gatlinburg
Courtyard Gatlinburg
#3 of 78 in Gatlinburg

Been to Best Western Cades Cove Inn? Share your experiences!