Review Highlights
WOW! Machine Falls is breathtaking!

We went on a rainy Sunday afternoon and the timing couldn't have been more perfect! The parking lot... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Sdurdin
Southaven, Mississippi
Hidden Beauty!

This area is simply beautiful It contains Rutledge and Machine Falls, both of which are right at... read more

Reviewed 2 October 2018
Leah F

All reviews machine falls water tower the loop trails lead beautiful falls the river hike nature tennessee rutledge trees backpack picnic path parts scenery
Reviewed 18 February 2017

In the Tullahoma area, this is a nice easy hike, with some beautiful waterfalls. Easy to do in just a couple hours.

Date of experience: July 2016
1  Thank matt h
Reviewed 9 January 2017 via mobile

We had a fabulous time hiking the machine falls trail with our kids. We had some trouble finding the entrance but that was a Google Maps issue. The hike was perfectly challenging for little legs- sometimes steep and slippery especially when we went on side trails. A hiking stick was helpful. Our boys hike often, so they did well. However, I would not take your child here until he/she has hiked less challenging terrain. Additionally, our 4 year old did have to slide on his booty a couple if times and crawl over some large chunks of limestone, so I would recommend long pants. The scenery was absolutely gorgeous, especially the falls. This time if year there were stunning icicles lining the fall. It was 100% worth it. We heard several gunshots on our way out, which may have been coming from adjacent private property. I was glad my kids were dressed in bright orange and yellow.

Date of experience: January 2017
Reviewed 16 October 2016

love love love his beautiful area! be careful which trail you take becase if you go down you gotta go p and the mega loop is hard! i dont advise someone with asthma like myself doing that one!

Date of experience: October 2016
Reviewed 12 October 2016 via mobile

Maybe you've already gone by Rutledge falls and seen the usually packed area especially during the summer... Only a few miles out of Tullahoma and you will find this little sweet serene area. There are multiple trails to take, it's close to a mile hike down to machine falls.

Hint:. If you want to be at the water fast, coming from Tullahoma, as you are going up the hill towards the water tower, right after you cross the small bridge, pull off to the left and you will see a small trail. Walk on that, go towards the left and in a few minutes after leaving your car you will be at the creek. If you brought waterproof boots and are ok with climbing around on slick rocks I suggest cross the creek (on the newly bridge they have installed and head downstream. There you will find a nice water fall.

Keep on going if you like, keep your eyes on the ground if you are walking along the creekbed and keep an eye out for geodes, they are all over the place! Once you get to the end you are able to take a right and end go up stream and you will come to machine falls. This is one of my favorite routes.

Enjoy!

Date of experience: October 2016
4  Thank Ryan L
Reviewed 2 October 2016

What can I say? This was one of the nicest, most exhausting hikes I've been on. The markers are so confusing and we really had no clue what we were doing or where we were going. That's our fault, as we didn't look online at a map first or anything. Basically, drove up, got out and started walking. My mom also messed us up when she told us which way to go and it was wrong...so we got turned around. But the falls are gorgeous. It's hard to say which we liked more. Busby falls is quieter, peaceful and gentle. We spent an hour just sitting there, enjoying the view. We were the only people there on a Thursday afternoon. We finally hiked to Machine falls, which is breath-taking. Be prepared to stomp through water, which we enjoyed. My kids would love it there, so I am planning to take them next spring.

Date of experience: September 2016