“Exactly what I needed!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Waynesboro
Tennessee Fitness Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Waynesboro
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I had been looking for a spa experience for the last few years and until I found TFS I didn't think I could afford it. The location is remote and the accommodations are relatively basic but it was the BEST vacation I have ever had. I never had to think about what I ate--the food was very good and I never felt hungry (they provided healthy snacks if you do). Exercise options were plentiful and I chose to focus on the morning walks and the fun things like Wallyball and Aqua Volleyball. One of my roommates did all the hard core fitness classes like kickboxing, aerobics, and abs which I avoided. At the end of two weeks I had still lost 6.5 pounds. The amazing thing was how easy it was to focus on being healthy and not be distracted by the outside world (spotty cell service and limited internet access were good things!). I had plenty of time to relax and unwind. Read 3 books, floated aimlessly in the pool, sat in the hot tub, waded in the creek, and got 2 massages. They had bingo, bellydancing, self-defense, and Zumba in the evening if you were bored. I did spend a couple of evenings in the TV lounge working a community jig saw puzzle. I am middle aged, overweight and out of shape and still felt motivated and encouraged by both staff and other guests (many just like me). Since I have been home I have continued to eat better, exercise and lose weight--this was an excellent way to turn my life around and put it on a more positive trajectory. I was very impressed by the knowledgeable and friendly staff, the carefully engineered meals (low calorie, low sodium, high protein, high fiber), immaculate facilities, and the beautiful park like setting. One of the earlier reviewers commented that she wished she had driven so that she had a car over the weekend. There are no formal classes from noon on Saturday until Monday morning if you stay over. However, ALL of the facilities are open 24/7 so if you stay over the weekend you basically have a private gym, empty pool, and the entire grounds to share with only a few other people which was wonderful! The towns around the spa are small and not particularly exciting. If 5 people sign up they will arrange a van trip to go antiquing or visit the Amish. I met some really interesting people and was impressed by the number of returning guests. The special services like mani/pedi, massages, facials, etc. were limited since those service providers only came in for certain days/times but from my massage experience and what other guests told me the pampering services were excellent. The only gentle warning I would give is if you are unfamiliar with rural Tennessee, many of the staff members are locals and reflect the local culture. I found this charming and entertaining but some of the big city guests responded less positively. I am definitely going back SOON!

Room Tip: Talk this over with the staff when you make your reservation. If you are a light sleeper you should...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank SallinSaddle

Reviewed 29 June 2012

I searched for fitness camps and health spas and happened upon Tennessee Fitness Spa. The cost was so much less than the competition that I was a little worried, but trust me there is nothing to worry about. This is the best place you can go for a great week of rest, exercise, great food and lots of fun. I try to get back once a year, if not more, and each time it gets better. I always lose weight and go home feeling much better than when I arrived. The staff is wonderful. The fact that most of the guests have been there many times before tells you something. The price is so low that many people I met were staying weeks and months. If you're looking for a posh spa then I suggest you go somewhere else and pay triple what you will pay here, but if you want a great fitness spa with great food, this is the place. It's a great place to have a healthy retreat with old high school or college friends or to just go alone. Either way, Tennessee Fitness Spa is the best you will find!

Room Tip: I've stayed in 5 different rooms and all were great. You can choose from private, double, a qua...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank bbarnes5
Reviewed 10 June 2012

The best word that I can use to describe TFS is inspiring! After one week of exercise, proper diet and abundant encouragement from the staff, I lost 7 pounds and truly feel that I am on the way to a healthier way of life. I have already booked a week next year, and I would love to come back before the end of this season as well.

The accommodations vary somewhat, and none of them is luxurious by typical "spa" standards. However, the housekeeping staff here work VERY hard, and the place is immaculate! The rooms are generous in size, and the bathroom is well stocked with quality products including a wonderful variety of glycerin soaps packaged for the spa. Expect a comfortable bed, a VERY strong A/C unit (which is a good thing during the summer in this part of The South), plenty of storage space, basic furniture and spotless housekeeping. All of the chalets are built fairly high up, and the first floors are actually equal in height to a second floor. This is done due to prior floods in the area, so be prepared to climb some stairs. It is a fitness spa, after all.

The food was wonderful. Belinda and the kitchen staff make healthy eating a pleasure. Nothing is going to be considered gourmet, but the selections are tasty and prepared with both the taste buds and the waistline in consideration. A salad bar supplements both lunch and dinner offerings, and breakfast is accompanied by a fresh fruit bar. Make sure to attend both Belinda's nutrition seminar and her cooking class. She knows what she's doing, and she provides an amazing amount of information which guests can use to move toward a healthier way of eating.

The fitness classes offered run the gamut. Walking is the primary form of exercise emphasized at TFS, and walk leaders are both motivating and helpful. If walking is not your thing, however, a complete array of aqua classes, free weight and resistance band toning classes, aerobics, weight training, stretch and meditation classes supplement the program. ALL of the instructors are top notch and highly motivating. I did not take a single class that was anything but enjoyable. Don't misunderstand: you WILL work hard in these classes. However, the level of encouragement given is so much better than that of any gym I've ever joined. My only complaint was with the yoga classes offered when I was there. My week was supposed to be a special yoga week, and I was disappointed with the yoga program. Several of my fellow guests felt the same way, and I am confident that TFS is looking to correct this issue.

Finally, the location of TFS is lovely. The grounds are well maintained, and flowers were blooming everywhere. The Natural Bridge is nothing less than majestic, and it is a superior place to meditate and to be one with the beauty of nature. The area where TFS is located is RUSTIC, and Waynesboro is neither a big town nor particularly close to the spa. If you have a car, there are some nice day trips available, Still, if you stay on the property for the duration of your trip, I honestly believe that you will come to love this place as much as so many of us have.

Room Tip: The chalet balconies all have porch swings and great chairs for looking out over the beauty of the p...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank pasodoble5
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Tennessee Fitness Spa is much better than previous reviews had led me to expect. I've been to about 10 spas--both domestic and international--over the last 15 years, and Tennessee Fitness is probably the best for weightloss, and at half the price of other spas.

The rooms are, as other reviews noted, spotless but very basic, verging on spartan. Outside, however, the grounds are lovely, the public spaces are reasonably attractive, and the private or semi-porivate balconies with swings are charming. The rustic setting, along a creek, is delightful, and we particularly enjoyed eating our meals outside, along the creek. The grounds are nicely planted with flowers and decorated with lovely hanging baskets.

The meals were also better than expected, and the dining room staff was extremely accommodating to special needs, such as low-carb (that's me!) and vegetarian. The food isn't fancy, and generally isn't what anyone would consider "spa cuisine" but it is filling, varied and tasty, with plenty of protein. Lunch and dinner are virtually identical in content (not the same exact food--just the same kind of menu: salad; main course with meat or fish; veggies; dessert) which is a huge improvement over most spas, where lunch is often just a salad bar, with tuna or eggs as the only protein option. Tennessee Fitness uses Splenda, which also is an improvement over other spas, in my opinion. If you don't want artificially sweetened desserts, eat fruit. Meanwhile the rest of us can enjoy a yummy dessert without many carbs.

The hikes were good, with a choice of speeds, but without much variety, and some are on the main road (which is virtually traffic-free, but still a road.) After we understood the routes, my husband and I opted to hike on our own, and this practice was not discouraged. Hikes are AFTER breakfast, which is also an improvement over what most spas do, in my view.

The exercise classes were excellent, and I was able to get good workouts, even though I'm very fit. Beginners also were able to find classes suitable to their level, and their is an extensive water-aerobics program. I didn't participate but I heard many compliments about it. The instructors were enthusiastic and energetic, not jaded and lethargic.

We were disappointed with the special programs. Yoga the first week was marginal, and the second week's special program was cancelled without notice or apology. Cancelling is bad; cancelling without admitting it is utterly unacceptable.

The town of Waynesboro is of limited interest, but provides basic shopping if you have a car or can bum a ride from someone. However, there are several interesting destinations within an hour's drive, and after working out all morning and eating a healthy lunch, we enjoyed visiting various sites in the afternoon: Shiloh (great movie!), Savannah (charming small museum; historical houses); Natchez Trace, and others.)

Overall, the same was friendly and accommodating. If you want pampering, go somewhere else! But if you want to lose weight and exercise in a beautiful, welcoming environment, come here.

As evidence that Tennessee Fitness is better than people expect, we encountered at least four individuals or groups of people who had extended their stays AFTER arriving, because they were getting so much from their stays. We plan to come back often.

Room Tip: Rooms have different amenities: some don't have TVs, some don't have bathtubs, most are reac...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HonorCrown
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I spent a week there recently and have already scheduled a return visit. Staff is fantastic and offers choices for any fitness level. The meals were delicious and we learned a lot about preparing healthy food..

Room Tip: Just ask at reservations and they will help you choose!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Do you need a fitness jumpstart or make over? Do you honestly want to improve your health? I did and I decided to go to Tennessee Fitness Spa and it was the best money I ever spent.

What it is an incredible community dedicated to fitness and health. The trainers are incredible, the food amazing, the scenery so beautiful it will take you breath away. I left after 6 days losing 15 inches, 4 lbs and 4% body fat. I loved it so much I am going back.

What it isn't. The accomodations are fine not gorgeous, there is not a lot to do in the area, the only cell service if you get is is ATT (i brought a prepaid calling card), there is no wireless in your room just in the lounging area and there is no real spa on the grounds.

To me what this is is not a spa but an incredible fitness retreat with trainers dedicated to your success. So if that is what you looking for pack your bag, your determination and your sneakers and go to this incredible place. Tell Kimi Laurie sent you.

Room Tip: They are all different...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank realtylaurie
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Tennessee Fitness Spa is awesome. The fitness staff is knowledgeable, caring, and challenging; the accommodations were rustic yet convenient; and the atmosphere was relaxing an rural. A great place to go to get in shape and meet great people.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank pnweb

Been to Tennessee Fitness Spa? Share your experiences!