“Valentine's Day Dissapointment”

Dining options: Reservations
Nashville, Tennessee
“Valentine's Day Dissapointment”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We went to Chelsea Bistro for Valentine’s Day this past Friday night. This was our third visit, and unfortunately it was a disappointment. They had a price fixed menu for the evening. We were allowed to choose an appetizer and the entre. They decided the salad and the dessert. It started out with Amuse Bouche which was a chilled leak terrine dish. The appetizer that we chose was Tome de Laguiole Aligot, it was a cheesy fondue type dish served with thinly sliced large pieces of artisan bread. As it turned out, it was the best dish of the evening. The salads consisted of bib lettuce champagne mascerated strawberries; Roquefort and walnuts. My wife chose the Grain Mustered Crusted Halibut dish, served with celeriac turnip hash, that was not fully cooked, and blood orang beurre blanc, that she was pleased with. I had the filet with a crab croquet and hollandaise that was tasty but a very small portion. The dessert, that really seemed like it was something revived from the 60’s. It was a chocolate covered strawberry that has been done to death, not very inventive. That was served with pavlova, a white chocolate mousse framboise, that was this baked meringue. The service was attentive and plentiful, however the kitchen seemed to be behind the eight ball all evening. One would think that with reservations made, and a limited menu that could be prepped in advance, the kitchen would have not been in the weeds all night long!

• Visited February 2014

Franklin, TN
“Hidden delicious find”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This French bistro has the real feel of a café in France. The mussels are to die for;in a rich cream based sauce. Don't pass on the bread and 3 butters. Best to take a GPS to find her.

• Visited December 2013
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
“Appetizers are the best...”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I hate to be negative, when everybody else is gushing, but we weren't all that blown away, unfortunately. The appetizers were the best part of the meal. The carmelized onion and goat cheese tarte melted in your mouth, and the little drizzle of balsalmic on the accompanying greens was perfection in the light touch. The steak tartare was inhaled by my husband, so I took that as high praise. The frites that came with his duck confit were light and perfectly seasoned, but the duck was boring and somewhat dry. How can you be out of beef bourguignon at a French restaurant at 7 pm??? My second choice was the meat and potatoes, and I was really looking forward to the "potato pancakes", but somehow they tasted very "sour". I tried them alone and with bites of the beef (which was too salty), but the sourness persisted. The cappucino at the end of the meal came fresh from the bar, but was barely lukewarm - a sad ending to a highly anticipated evening. We may go back to try the burgers and sandwiches, and have lower expectations...

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank stork90
Nashville, Tennessee
“Great Food in Whites Creek”
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

I heard about this french bistro in whites creek. i finally tried it and i was amazed. great food, great service and great drinks in whites creek. i started with a warm salad of garbanzo beans, brussell sprouts, turnips, lemon and onion. it sounds weird but was amazing. we both loved our entrées and the charcuterie appetizer. i heard all the tables around me rave about their meals also. if you are in whites creek, joelton, springfield, coopertown, ashland city, pleasant view and nashville you need to try this place.

Visited January 2014
nashville Tn
“Great French food near Nashville”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I went here for my birthday dinner. It was fabulous.
I had a "Mad" Moiselle cocktail, onion soup, Duck Confit and Crème Brulee. My friend had a beet and goat cheese salad, a Roasted Amish Half Chicken and for dessert: pear and almond galette with salted caramel and Chantilly cream.
Everything was excellent, our waiter was very familiar with the wines; he paired my duck with “Rocher” a blend of Cabernet, Malbec, and Merlot. The chicken was paired with a Chardonnay; both wines worked quite well with our entrees.
What we liked the best is that all their food is locally sourced (except for the wines which are French). They grow many of their own vegetables out back. The chicken and beef is all from northern Tennessee or Southern Kentucky. Their trout is farmed right there in Whites Creek. The pears came from a local orchard.
Yes, it is expensive, but well worth it.

• Visited December 2013