“Roach motel!”
Review of El Oso Flojo Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Balmorhea
El Oso Flojo Lodge
Reviewed 15 August 2010

After a long day of swimming we came back and relaxed in the room. There were some various bugs but it didn't bother me much (grasshoppers, crickets, and small ones)...most were outside (the courtyard was crawling and infested). That night after I tucked my children in I was laying there and felt something on my hand...I waived it off thinking mosquito. Then, I felt something in my shirt. I took it off and shook it, and heard a thump. I turned on the light to see what it was and sure enough, roach! It scampered but I looked back at my pillow...and surprise...another roach right by where my head was. As I gathered up our stuff several more crawled out and scampered once they hit the light. So, I go to the office and ring someone...this is about midnight. There son comes over with 3 other unkempt kids and I tell him my experience and that I want my money back (I paid cash). He had me call his father, tell him my story and then the mother. We battled for about 30 minutes until I could no longer stand her rude behavior and remarks towards my intelligence. They were horrible to me, after I'd had a roach DOWN my shirt, had to wake up my children and break their hearts with the news that we'd have to come home...in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. They never did give me my money back. I would NEVER EVER recommend them to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank Annoyed56287

Reviewed 19 July 2010

Very nice feel to it. Lush style rooms. More fun than the normal motels my wife and I have been staying at. Beautiful ranch feel to it, nice courtyard. Needs minifridge. Stayed for 80 bucks.

1  Thank gmy2
Reviewed 13 June 2010

This is a small boutique-level hotel out in West Texas, and was much better than we expected. The beds are extremely comfortable, and the showers are HUGE walk-ins with detailed tile work. The price is a little higher than other area hotels, but it is very much worth it if you are looking for a good night of rest. We had the same experience as the other reviewers regarding the informal nature of the front office, it takes some getting used to but it does work out well once you know what to expect.

This makes a great staging-point if you are planning to visit Balmorhea State Park, or are just looking for a place to sleep well for the night. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2010

After reading the reviews of two other people, I decided to take a gamble and stay here.

As expected there was no one behind the desk at 9:00PM, but service was immediate
after ringing the bell. I now understand the comment on "Rooms To Go on steroids" from
the previous reviewer. It was hard to find the light switch, expecially in the bath area
(hidden behind the mirror). The hair dryer was tucked away in the cabinet (again no
note). The room had a microwave and fridge. I am sure if we had looked around, we
would have found the coffee maker.

After taxes our room came to $100. A much better deal than if we had stayed at
Holiday Inn or equivalent. The room was clean with clean towels and upholstery. I was
worried about staying in the room so close to the road, however this being a small
town there was hardly any traffic. I would highly recommend people traveling on I-10 to
take the 8-10 mile detour to stay here.

There is a cute water canal with flowing water and bridge just outside the room where
we had our morning snack and drink.

Only downside I can think of is that there is no complimentary breakfast. However,
there is a grocery store about 2 miles down the road which opens early.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 December 2009

We have stayed at the El Oso Flojo many times and travel to Balmorhea to eat at The Bears Den (Best Mexican Food in the Permian Basin). Florinda and Joel the owners live nearby and there is no need to have the Hotel manned with Staff at all times, most people staying there are repeat costomers who are familiar with the routine. The large showers and comfortable beds are awesome! We don't mind the price, we travel to San Antonio, Austin,New Braunsfels, and other towns in Texas, if you were in those towns expect to pay way more than the 100.00 a night for the furnishing and comfort. Florinda and Joel way to go We will come Stay at your beautiful place and eat your wonderful food again tonight. Michelle and Mike

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank yoee1963
Reviewed 28 July 2008

I've watched this motel under construction for several years and was glad to see another lodging option in Balmorhea, where we love to have a swim at San Solomon Spgs and eat Mexican at Cueva de Osa (who also own the Oso de Flojo), It's finally done, and though a million times nicer than any other nearby options, a bit of a strange experience staying there.

It's almost like being in a third world country--no one at front desk, just a cell # to call. Big sign saying NO DOGS IN ROOMS, but then conflicting information from the staff (and wait staff next door) who seemed to suggest "don't ask, don't tell." Sadly, our room was well over $100, for Balmorhea! The furniture looks like Rooms to Go on Steroids: oversized poster bed, tons of fancy pillows, enormous carved wardrobe, 4' tall lamps with giraffes, garish animal prints everywhere, a monkey statue in the bathroom. And all this would-be opulence (not my taste, but all new and many would find it nice) sitting on no-pile, cheap grey motel carpet---go figure!

The bathroom was ridiculously over-imagined with a 4x6 rain-head shower, a fancy bowl style sink (that left nowhere to put your toiletries). Small microwave and spot for a fridge, but no fridge. All in all, more ambition than execution. Trash in parking lot. Inattention to detail. The owners apparently live a few hundred miles distant. I blame them for the overblown decor, but they may be unaware of the nonexistent customer service.

3  Thank LuckyWest

Been to El Oso Flojo Lodge? Share your experiences!