“Always a pleasure”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Bar M Guest Ranch, LLC
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I can't speak highly enough of this place.
We are lucky enough to get to hang out here several times a year. The place is relaxing and beautiful. Trisha, Mike and Paris are always great company. Thanks, Don, Telesia and Suzy Q.
From Houston

Room Tip: It's all great
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I specifically looked for a guest ranch that was peaceful & restful, without a lot of noisy group activity, but with trail rides, & found Bar M in Bandera on Trip Advisor. Trisha can teach anyone how to ride--she's an extraordinary teacher, with an empathy for horses that earns respect.

The horses are wonderful, with adorable personalities, & they nudge & nuzzle you when they like you. My horse, Nuanna, took care to walk at a gentle pace for me, a newbie at this, but sneaked snacks of tender leaves along the way when he thought I wasn't looking. You get to give the horses treats after the ride. I forgot to bring the mini carrots I had in the fridge, but Trisha & Mike have high protein "cookies" the horses really like.

They treat their horses with real understanding & respect here. It shows in how well these horses behave, & how good they are with people. After the riding, the horses run free & browse in beautiful huge open fields. They don't work on the cattle ranch, & they don't get killed or sold when they're too old to ride. If you care about animals, you'll be very happy here with how these working animals are treated. This is not your average guest ranch or dude ranch in Texas.

The guest house has everything you'll need, even detergent for your laundry, & spices in the larder for cooking. We watched part 1 of James Michener's "Texas" last night, & will watch the 2nd half tonight (writing this while we're still here). We plan to be back in the fall. One nice thing is that I can bring my dog with me. This way, we all get to go on vacation.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Anata99
Reviewed 10 March 2014

It was our (me and my husband) 2. time at the BarM Ranch, and we stayed for 12 days. We loved it, and we certainly will come back. We learned much more about riding and horse training and it was wonderfull to talk with Trisha about horses and other things.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Silke H
Reviewed 30 December 2013

After many years we finally took some time off and booked a 6 day vacation at the BarM Ranch during Christmas.
The place is absolutely private ,well kept and offers plenty of relaxing time watching nature.
No internet access and only limited amount of channels on the TV. (Just what the doctor prescribed. :-) The apartment is well equipped with all blankets, sheets, dishes and utensils as well as washer and dryer.
Trisha and Mike are great hosts and their horses are very well trained. You can tell, that they really care about their animals.trail rides are offered in the morning and after the rides, the horses run free on the ranch. So drive very slow, when you visit the ranch. Trisha is a great Instructor and teaches you everything you need to know before a trail ride. Having never ridden a horse before, she took great care to make sure you are 100% comfortable with the horse as well as the horse with you before you even saddle up. The trail rides are very informative and the country is beautiful. We had a hard time packing up and leaving and hope to be back next year.
Thanks again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Bar M for 3 days in mid November 2013. The bunkhouse was clean and well equipped and very reasonably priced. We rode 3 days and very much enjoyed the riding. I have not been on a horse in years and am actually rather afraid of horses, but I have never been more comfortable on a horse as I was here. Trisha is great and the time she spends on pre-ride instruction is fantastic. Only disappointment is no loping or galloping, but I understand the associated risks, especially for inexperienced riders (such as ourselves) and Trisha is very safety-conscious. But maybe next time?
The ranch is close to Bandera. There are number of bars with live music on any given night, but otherwise the town itself is rather under-whelming. A local recommended a good restaurant, Mulberry, (a wine bar of all things) only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Good food and great wine selection.
After reading about the beautiful hill country, I was expecting a bit more I guess. I don't know if it's due to the 2 year drought or not, but I would not describe the countryside as beautiful. Of course being from B.C., Canada we're pretty spoiled for beautiful scenery. However locals were very friendly and we really enjoyed our time on the ranch.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mel S
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Highly recommend this experience no matter what your skill level is. Horses are well trained, loved and trusting. The owner will teach the rider whatever is needed and is very patient to answer all questions.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Friendtoby
Reviewed 21 September 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Bar-M Ranch and took a 3 hour trail ride. The accommodation is excellent - spotless, well-equipped, very comfortable and great value for money. We loved the peace and quiet and watching the wildlife - white-tail deer and black buck antelope. The area is famous for exotic species and we saw bison and wildebeest on our travels too!
Trisha and Mike are wonderful hosts in that they leave you completely alone to enjoy the ranch, while providing clear safety guidelines for both guests and permanent residents (wildlife and horses)!
As a horsewoman with many years experience (including many visits to other dude ranches and trail riding establishments) I have to give Trisha and Mike 11 out of 10 for the way they keep, manage and train their horses. They treat them with loving respect, unlike many places that use their horses like machines with minimum care and rough treatment. They also give an excellent pre-ride briefing on how to interact with the horses which is the best I've seen - a far cry from the "kick to make them go and pull on the reins to make them stop" instruction (typical of many other horse hire places) - with a focus on communication and leadership that the horse can understand and respond to.
The trail ride itself was a wonderful ride up into the hills with some excellent views. We saw more wildlife on the ride and Trisha explained about the native american sites and artefacts we saw along the way.
The ranch is close to Bandera, which was a little disappointing - more like the drugstore cowboy capital than a real cowboy town - but very friendly.
To sum up, a lovely stay with lovely people, great horses and lots of peace and quiet.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple