“A Dude Ranch for the entire family”
Review of Mayan Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Mayan Dude Ranch
Reviewed 2 August 2009

This was our 4th trip to the Mayan Ranch, twice we have brought our grandaughter to the ranch and all 4 times we had a wonderful time. The Hicks family welcomes you into their extended family with every visit, The food is GREAT, we especially love the cowby breakfast out on the ranch property. THe horses are a lot of fun, we never miss our rides. We have spoken to so many people from other countries at the ranch who also keep returning year after year, it truely is a hidden treasure. I tip my hat to the entire Hicks family for a job well done.
We will see you again soon
Diane & Dave

There are newer reviews for Mayan Dude Ranch

Reviewed 20 July 2009

We had a great time!! My husband and I took our children ages 9 and 13 and we had a wonderful time. We stayed 3 nights and I do feel like the accomodations could have been a little more updated and they were not as clean as I expected but we had an awesome experience. I read a lot of reviews and did a lot of research before choosing this ranch. I was surprised at how spread out it was and I think the cabins must vary quite a bit from reading the reviews and talking to other guests I think some of them may be a little nicer than others, I think some of them may pick up more television channels or be a little bigger or more "cowboy" themed. There were so many families that had returned for a second or third time. The snakes/bugs that are mentioned in other reviews are really an expected part of an experience such as this. It is very dry in the summer and these types of critters are hard to control! Welcome to Texas!!! The river that is on the property was very refreshing and cool very shaded and relaxing. We spent the whole day there. The Hick's family was awesome. The hospitality is the best part. They make a point to talk to you and are always smiling interacting with guests. They are truly concerned about your happiness while at the ranch.

1  Thank trdojo
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Where do I start? We loved everything about this place!
My husband had visited the ranch with his family for many summers as a child and decided that it was time to share that experience with our kids(Ages 8 & 5).We stayed Sunday- Sunday July 5th-12th. I would highly recommend staying a whole week if you can. They have different themes and activities each day and I would not want to miss any of it!

Rooms
We checked into our cabin(65 & 66) upon arrival. They were very nice and roomy- comfortable beds, cold a/c, mini refrigerator, front and back porch, and tv with digital cable.The cleaning staff did a wonderful job each day- clean towels, refreshed beds, emptying trash and cleaning the bathroom.

Breakfast-
We were awakened with fresh coffee and orange juice delivered to our door by Deputy Doug -7:15ish. This is optional and if you wish to sleep in you may do so as well. My husband, kids and grandma chose to take the hayride to cowboy breakfast(you can also take a horse ride there), while my mom and I opted to eat breakfast in the dining room. They had a wide array of breakfast choices- fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal bar, eggs, omelets made to order by Tracy, toast, hash browns, sausage, pancakes, waffles, many kinds of fruit juice, coffee and most importantly-bacon. A little note about the bacon- I have been on a strict diet for the past few months and was bound and determined not to go crazy with the eating. I did fairly well with that but COULD NOT resist the bacon- it was delicious! The cowboy breakfast was not to be missed- the atmosphere is perfect, the food delicious and music by Reuben completes the experience.

Daily Activities-
My husband, daughter and I went on a morning horse back ride almost everyday- you can also take an afternoon ride. My son, who is not quite 6 ,was unable to participate in the trail rides but did not feel left out by any means. Each day Wrangler Ryan or the Pony Lady brought a horse up to the pavilion for the younger kids to safely ride. Other activities-fishing in the Medina River,bb gun shooting, bull-whip lessons, roping lessons, dance lessons, archery lessons, basketball, tennis, ping pong, shuffle board, horseshoes, washers, pool table, arcade games, swimming races, dart game, egg toss and hiking- there is a organized hike for the children to see the dinosaur tracks by Judy-the kids loved this! Most afternoons you could find us in the pool-Nice!

Lunchs- Served daily in the pavilion with LOTS of choices! Some of our favorites- bbq chicken, chicken fried chicken, chicken strips, pizza, hamburgers and salads.They also have free wine and beer served from 11-10.

Dinners
Sunday
Luau at the Pavilion- complimentary Mai Tais( delicious- great job Tracy) and Kowgirl Kel led us in some pre dinner games- great for breaking the ice and meeting other guests. Next the Hawaiian feast was served- Salmon, 7-Spice Ribs,Shish Kabobs, Ham and an array of salads and sides followed by desert and more entertainment.
Monday-
That evening we were treated to a performance by a trick roper-excellent and dinner at Hicksville- mouth-watering steaks, sauteed mushrooms,fried fish,potatoes, vegetables, salad, homemade bread and desert with live music. They also had a kid's talent show before dinner and an adults talent show after dinner.
Tuesday-
Adults dinner was served in the dining room- Ribs(fav.), huge boiled shrimp,potatoes, corn, sausage, salad, rolls, chocolate pie. After dinner we were treated to a wonderful show"Phantom of the Opry" put on by the Hicks family- watch for Lore- he steals the show and had our whole table doubled over in laughter!
Kid's dinner- My kids thought that it was the greatest thing ever to go to their own "adult free" dinner(they were well supervised by the staff). They took a hayride to Hicksville and were treated to their own kid cuisine, hayride around the ranch to see wildlife and a magician show @ the pavilion.
Wednesday
Hicksville/Cowboy & Indian Theme- Baby buffalo/history show before dinner. Smoked turkey, beef fajitas, Indian tacos, grilled corn, salad and pumpkin pie with live music after dinner we headed back to the pavilion for a family d-jay dance.
Thursday
Fiesta at the pavilion- complimentary margaritas, enchiladas, fajitas, tamales(fav),beans, rice, salad and a banana split buffet with a mariachi band. The kids also enjoyed a hayride to see wildlife and pinata.
Friday
Riverside BBQ- Sliced beef, ribs, sausage, beans, potato salad, salad ,homemade bread and blondies w/ live music. After dinner we were treated to an impressive fireworks show.
Saturday
Adults dinner in the dining room-Steak,fried shrimp,sweet potato stuffed potato(fabulous), green beans,gazpacho soup and a blueberry and cream desert.
Kid's dinner- Kid cuisine at the Pavilion w/ staff supervision. After dinner the kids joined us in the dining room for an excellent musical variety show by the Hicks Family plus Doug and Lulu- watch for Tommy- Hilarious!!!!

We absolutely loved this vacation! My kids even said that it was better than Disneyworld! We cannot wait to come back next summer.

The Hicks Family make this place special, making up the majority of the staff- with the exception of Doug, Lulu, David and Reuben- who seem just as much a part of the family as anyone else. You can tell that they love what they do and do what they love! They work very hard from sun up to sun down to make sure that the guests are happy- no request goes unanswered.

What a wonderful place to make memories with your family!

2  Thank MelAnn376
Reviewed 11 July 2009

This was certainly an experience not to be missed by anyone travelling in the area and wanting to experience a taste of the cowboy ranch life. We had a wonderful time but the accommodation let it down. We booked two lodges (not cheap), one was ok but the other one (Lodge No. 3) was a disappointment. It was so dirty that even a cowboy would have a problem staying there. It was dingy and dark with curtains pulled over the windows that covered a multitude of sins. When I tried to open one of the curtains the whole rail fell down! The cover on the bed looked uninviting; and although the sheets seemed clean the towels had seen much better days. I made the mistake of peering down the back of the bed to find more cobwebs and dirt than you would think possible after 20 years! After that, we stayed awake all night wondering what might crawl up from under the bed. On our first night, I wandered into the bathroom and was confronted with a scorpion. Well, ok we're British, and the worst thing that we encounter is the odd over large spider or bumble bee, so we are a bit wimpey I guess. Anyway, sleep was impossible on that night as we didn't know how dangerous or how many scorpions were going to invade. Pity really because it was so quiet and peaceful on a night time. We got another shock the next day when we were confronted with a snake curled up on the front door. Now there are no phones in these lodges so you can't just ring reception and ask what do we do you just have to sit it out. Maybe the ranch should advise on such things? This particular lodge just needed a serious clean as the other lodge was not wonderful but ok and what you would probably expect from a dude ranch.

Now that I've got the down side off my chest I'll focus on the pluses (and there were many). The family run ranch provided great food and entertainment and nothing was too much trouble. Randy (The CEO) was a great guy and made us feel so welcome that we felt part of the family. Cold beer flowed continuously throughout the day and night (all part of the package). We enjoyed a Mexican night but even more so enjoyed the Wild West evening and the dancing. The food is lovingly prepared and presented by the family but as most of the eating is outdoors there was lots of flies which did put me off a bit (hazard of cowboy life). The riding was a great experience but don't get any ideas that you are going to ride off into the sunset like Butch Cassidy - it's all very restricted, regulated and slow. Mind you, in temperatures of over 100 degrees you wouldn't want to go at a racing pace let alone push the horses any faster than a dobin speed. The breakfast horse ride or the hayride (for those who don't want to ride horseback) was fab leading to breakfast cooking away on an open grill, enjoying the passing deer and the cowboy countryside.

The pool back at the ranch is a good size and there's always something going on so you won't be bored. You just need to remember that this is cowboy Texas, dusty and raw. Don't take any decent clothing with you because it will just be ruined. Trainers/boots, shorts and jeans that's all. Be prepared to rough-it and get your shoes dirty!

The weather was so hot that the river had dried up so there was not chance of tubbing down the river but that would have been fun had it been possible.

It’s such a pity the lodge let it down for us but we wouldn’t have missed it for the world.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank FizzUk
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I took my husband here on the weekend of June 5-7, 2009 for a getaway and to celebrate his birthday. My husband had not ridden a horse in years and I wanted to surprise him with an outdoor adventure.

Our overall experience at the Mayan Dude Ranch was disappointing especially for the cost: $150 per adult per night.

Positives:
1. Pool - Large and well kept. Sparking blue water.
2. Horses - They seem to be treated very well and are very gentle. While the rides are single file and slow, it was fun.
3. Hayride - Taking the hayride to breakfast gives you a nice tour of the property and a chance to view some of the wildlife.
4. Food - While not 4 star quality, I thought the meals were of good variety and substance.

Negatives:
1. Room - We stayed in Unit 9. While clean, the room left a lot to be desired - especially in the bathroom. Uncomfortable bed, thin small towels, no light in the shower, low water pressure, no shampoo or conditioner left for guests, TV only got 1 English speaking channel.
2. Staff - Hit or miss. We had some staff that acted like it was a hassle to answer our questions or were bothered when we asked for ice (although we were told in our welcome letter we could get it anytime from 2 different locations)
3. Daily Itinerary - Every morning we were given a sheet with meal and activity times. But good luck reading it - it is jam packed with details. Too many! In fact my husband and I missed that there was a afternoon horse ride as we couldn't digest all the information. Talk about a bummer as that was the main reason I chose this place!
4. Entertainment - The last night they put on a 'show' in the lodge. While some of the acts were entertaining it was extremely long.
5. Professionalism - While the older generation of the Hicks family seem keen on operating a good business, their youth do not. On the last night we were there after the 'big' show, most of the grandchildren were getting drinks from the saloon and drinking/ smoking on the front porch in front of guests:
1. Some of them were underage
2. Some of them were arguing
3. Most of them left in their cars to continue drinking at a local bar in their cars (drinking + driving).
While maybe some folks don't mind this behavior, I found it extremely unprofessional and a mockery to advertise the ranch as 'family friendly' and then allow their own children to drink/smoke/air personal laundry in front of guests. It left a 'trashy' taste in my mouth.

I really don't know that I would ever visit this place again. I feel like there are many other places I would rather spend my time and money on.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank melsadieg
Reviewed 27 May 2009

Our family of six (kids ages 6-12) just got back from a wonderful 3 day vacation at the Mayan. Our daughters very much wanted to ride horses, and with the Hill country location & excellent reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to come. There is so much to cover, so I'll break my review down:
1. Rooms--we stayed in adjoining units 29 & 30, the Chaparral cabin--one unit had one BR, one bath, and a sitting area with a fireplace, sofa, two rocking chairs, and two coffee tables. the other had two separate BR, one with a double, the other with two double beds, a bathroom, and a sitting area with a small table with two chairs, and a bar area with two chairs and two stools. Each unit had a "Texan decor", a TV (which we never turned on), and plenty of dresser space. there were no closets, but there was a small "hanging rod" with hangers that we hung our windbreakers on. Outside we had a private driveway, covered patio, porch swing, wooden park bench, and two rocking chairs. Our kids enjoyed hanging out outside and watching the deer. We liked our rooms. They were comfortable & spacious, and we spent part of two afternoons there due to short summer thunderstorms.
2. Food--great food & lots of it! No, they are not big city five star restaurant meals, but they are quite delicious, and everyone should be able to find something they like.
Breakfast--each day you can choose between the outdoor cowboy breakfast or the dining room breakfast. We did the cowboy thing the first two mornings--you either take a hayride down to it, or some days they offer a horseback option (which we did not do since you just get one morning ride). The hayride is lots of fun since you get to see plenty of deer and other wildlife on the way down. Biscuits, gravy, grits, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes and two other hot dishes (beans, rice, and a delicious ham/bell pepper sautee), are served along with coffee, apple juice, water and OJ. A guitar-playing cowboy sings country songs. Lots of fun, especially on a cool morning. You should do it at least once. On our final day we ate at the dining room, which has more flexible times and more choices-eggs any way (including omelets), sausage, bacon, pancakes, toast, fruit, yogurt, cereal, milk, coffee, tea, and more juice choices. Service was great & quick!
Lunch--different choices each day, and included on the day of check-out--our first day we had a choice of chicken fajita tacos with flour tortillas and all the trimmings(including a very good pico de gallo), beef tacos on corn tortilla shells, pork tamales, beef & cheese enchiladas, fruit tray, and yummy homemade chocolate cookies with a coconut filling. Our second day we had meat loaf, pork loin, mac & cheese, lots of salad & veggie sides, and strawberry shortcake. Our last day we had fried chicken (very tasty--we don't typically eat fried chicken, but my health-conscious husband tried some and loved it), spaghetti with meat sauce, broccoli & cheese casserole, lots of veggies and salads, and chocolate cake. some lunches were indoors & others were under the shaded & ventilated pavilion.
Evening appetizers--offered under the pavilion from 545-645 nightly--at least two different ones each night--egg rolls, chicken nuggets, fried cauliflower, veggie trays, tortilla chips, and potato/cheese cakes, all with sauces or dips.
Dinner--our first night we took a hayride to an outdoor gazebo for a delicious BBQ--brisket, pork ribs, sausage, lots of salads & coleslaw, homemade sliced white bread, and blondies. The second night was under the pavilion--steak & potatoes with delicious sauteed mushrooms, salad, asparagus, & spice cake. Our last night was turkey, beef fajitas with fixins, beef tacos, an "assemble your own" mexican salad, flour tortillas, and pecan pie. There is live country music at every dinner.
Drinks--cold water, tea & lemonade under the pavilion from 11-10ish, with free beer & wine under the pavilion for most of the day, as well as free alcoholic drinks at dinners in other locations. There is a saloon with cocktails/liquor for an additional charge.
3. Activities--we came for the horses, and we weren't disappointed, even though one afternoon trail ride was cancelled and another shortened due to the weather. You get one morning & one afternoon ride, and usually there are four time slots to choose from. You ride single file, no helmets. Our kids were matched up with easy going horses, and sometimes got to ride the same horse again. Each trail was different, and the scenery was great! Once we rode by some dinosaur tracks. You can brush the horses outside of the corral if you wish. The ranch has lots of trails to wander around, plus you can walk to the Medina river to swim or fish (supplies and bait are provided). There is a nice outdoor pool with a covered deck, shuffle board, a basketball court, a volleyball court, horseshoes, two ping-pong tables, and a pool table. Each morning there is group activity offered--roping, fishing, and bb gun shooting were our choices, and they were lots of fun. Each evening at 545 some form of western entertainment is offered--first night was meeting a large steer, 2nd was an excellent trick-roper who added plenty of audience participation to his act, and 3rd was a very interesting "Wild Bill" history lecturer who brought replicas of many Western weapons (my oldest son's favorite). Each night at 8pm there is an additional activity--western music, an evening wildlife hayride, and country dancing lessons were our choices--there was s'mores campfire and "hicksville" campsite visit offered the evening we checked out.
4. The staff--the Hicks family has been in the dude ranch business for over 50 years, and they love what they do. we got to meet many members who either led the activities, served meals, or just hung out. Check out their beautiful pictorial family tree by the main office.
5. Other guests--there was an exchange club convention during part of our stay. We enjoyed getting to know folks, and our kids loved new playmates. On our second day at least 5 families from the UK arrived, most of them repeat visitors. There were several grandparents who had come with their kids in the past, coming this time with their grandkids.

To sum things up, this vacation is not cheap, but given all the activities, food, drinks, and entertainment included, it is a very good value! You don't need to go anywhere else or bring anything except clothes, sunscreen, bug spray, & a flashlight (to wander around at night). We will definitely come back, and try to bring friends or family next time!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2009

After much contemplation we decided on the Mayan Ranch for spring break this year. We have 2 boys ages 16 and 10. It seemed like their facilities would have something to please both of them and we were right.

FRI

Arrived around 3, checked in and chose the time for our afternoon ride. While we were there, we went ahead and signed up for the 8:30 am ride Sat, which would take us to the outdoor cowboy breakfast.

We grab our keys and head to our cottage. It large with a covered patio and lots of tree's. A peacock and rooster enjoy playing in our front yard. All though our rooms are under the same roof, the boys have a separate key and door to enter their room. This made them feel like the were "older", yet they were still close enough to mom and dad that we could keep an eye and them. Mine and hubbys room was rustic with Hill Country flair, and even included a fireplace. Kids room was larger with a open feel. Both rooms meet our seal of approval.

After unpacking the kids change into their swim trunks and we start exploring. First to the outdoor pavilion where we find they serve free beer, wine and sodas each day till 10pm. Have to say, it made the hubby and I pretty happy to hear that. The pool is next door. Very pretty with a waterfall. And next to that the volleyball and basketball courts. Next we head down to the river, just a short walk away. The water is beautiful, and the boys loved the rope swing.

Next we headed off to the corrals for a short horseback ride. The scenery is great, and I cant believe how many deer we see!

After we get back, we head to the pavilion to cool off with a drink, and notice they have some pre dinner snacks out. We grab a few, and head to the room to get ready for dinner. We pile onto hay covered trailer where we are taken to "Hicksville" for dinner. (Its a faux western town, really cute). this is where we find out that the Hicks family knows how to cook a mean meal!!!! Steaks bigger than my head, homemade rolls, numerous salads, green beans, corn, baked potatoes, cobbler and ice cream. they also had a live "cowboy crooner" singing old cowboys classics, and a baby buffalo for the kids to learn about.

Now that we are stuffed we head back to the pavilion to meet some new friends and wash down dinner with a few beers. The kids had a great time at the majic show, then roaming the property, and playing basketball and billiards'. Around 10, we went into the onsite saloon for a Bloody Mary then headed back to the room.

SAT

We are awakened at 7:30 with fresh coffee and juice delivered to our door, along with the days itinerary. AM delivery is optional, and you don't have to follow the itinerary. They just want you to know your options for the day.

We get dressed and head to the corrals for our morning ride to breakfast. You also have the option to eat in the dinning room, or take a hayride to the cowboy breakfast. The ride was peaceful, and our guide told us allot of stories about the history of the property. When we arrive at breakfast I cant believe my eyes. The biggest cast iron skillets I've ever seen cooking on an open flame. The choices were endless. Eggs, bacon, sausage, steak, beans, gravy, hashbrowns, sautéed onions and mushrooms, biscuits, tortillas, homemade salsa. How in the world am I gonna ride a horse after this?

After we get back to camp, the kids take off to play with the kids they'de met the night before, and hubby and I settle back in bed for a nap. Around 11 we head to the pavilion where they have a live longhorn on display...saddle and all. I get a great pic of my 10 year old on it.

Lunch is another cornucopia of goodness. Pastas galore, pizza, and tons of hearty vegetables and salad. When we had our fill, we head down with the kids to spend a little time at the river. So peaceful down there. Then its back to the corral for another ride. This time the trailboss take us down by the river. This is our 3rd ride, and each time the trail we took was different... which is cool.

After the ride, the kids hit the pool, and we watch them from the pavilion with a glass of wine. We met another couple that lives near us. Come to find out they know all my husband family, small world. Our kids and their kids hit it off as well.

Bout the time our tummy's start to rumble, like clockwork the Hicks family bring out the pre-dinner snacks. Today a variety of chips dips, and vegetable platters. For dinner they treated us to whole smoked turkey and more side and salads then you could shake a stick at. Man o man do these people know how to cook! That evening a dj set up in the pavilion and we had a dance. Well, hubby and I watched while everyone else danced, but still had a blast.

SUN
This time we take the hayride to breakfast. The deer are really thick today. 300 or more. Not to mention ram, goats, armadillo, and peacocks. Breakfast was a slam dunk again!

Once we get back at camp, hubby and I go for a little hike, while the kids head down to the river to fish. Then we all met back up for our final horseback ride. This time up into the mountains. I, like and idiot, did not bring my camera this time.....the views were amazing! I really kicked myself in the butt for not being able to get the shots from up on the mountainside.

After we get back, we pack up our things and head down for lunch. This time pork tenderloin, chicken fingers as big as your foot, and all the sides.

Just before we leave, we head to an area that the kids tell us about. It a covered patio off the back of the dinning room that over looks the river. WOW! I wish we had found this place earlier. I did manage to get some great pics of the 20 or so butterfly that where near us. Too cool.

We cant wait to get back! Actually thinking about doing their "yearly rate package" so we can go more often!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank radiogirltx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandera
Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center
Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
Medina River Ranch Resort
Medina River Ranch Resort
#19 of 24 in Bandera

Been to Mayan Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!