“Fabulous Fitness Vacation”
Review of Rancho Cortez

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Rancho Cortez
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I spent 60 days at the ranch in the fitness program. The program, the food, facilities and people were all fantastic. I've never had a fitness vacation so I wasn't sure what to expect. The staff were great at keeping me motivated and pushing me to accomplish more than I thought possible. If you are looking to change your life, to get on the road to a healthier you, I highly recommend the fitness program at Rancho Cortez.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Sheri R

Reviewed 1 March 2012

We loved Rancho Cortez so much we are planning to be back several times a year. Larry and Mary Cortez and their staff make everyone feel
right at home. It's a lovely place that brings you back to nature. The chefs
are excellent and we love the family touch that this place house. Gorgeous area! Can't wait to go back, our son ran all day long playing and slept like a rock at night!

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are in a great location
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My family just retruned from a wonderful two-day visit to Rancho Cortez. As your definitive "city-slicker," I approached our visit with a bit of cynicism and figured it would be a nice experience for our two boys (ages 8 and 4).

Whatever cynicism I had, has now been replaced with a genuine affection for Rancho Cortez. This was simply a magnificent experience for both children and adults. Cowboy Larry is one of those rare individuals who is part philosopher, part child psychiatrist and 100% Texan. He has a genuine love for his work and it is infectuous from the moment you meet him. Both our boys grew very attached to him and tears were in their eyes upon our departure (mine too). He developed a wonderful sense of confidence in them as they got used to the horses and he has manner in which he instantly commands respect.

The accomodations and food are all very good (the indoor and outdoor pools are nice to have after a dusty trial ride). However, in my opinion, that is all secondary. The strength of Rancho Cortez is the feeling of positive energy that is diffilcut to capture in words. There is a serenity and old school wisdom that the place possesses. Not once duing the visit did our children ask to play a video game or watch TV. Instead, what we witnessed, was an 8 year old spring out of bed, get dressed and run to the barn to help the cowboys feed and saddle up the horses. Children are encouraged to be independent at the ranch, and at least in our case, took to it like a horse to water (sorry, I couldn't resisit the pun).

I could go on and on about the human connection of sitting around a campfire, singing songs and telling stories, or accompanying a child on a trail ride and watching them confidently steer such wonderous and powerful creatures that can only be found in horses, but I hope by now you get the picture.

I have had the great privilege of seeing many parts of the globe, but the trip I suspect I may look back repeatedly with immense fondness is the one off a small dirt road in a town called Bandera.

My many thanks to all the staff at Rancho Cortez for providing a magnificent family memory.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Andrew N
Reviewed 16 February 2012

My daughter and I wanted to get away to spend quality time together and be in nature. Well we got everything we wanted and so much more. Larry ,Cheryl and Bill were terrific and so nice and we had a memorable time that i had tears in my eyes when i left.
If you want to relax and enjoy riding and campfires then this is your ranch.
The food is homemade by wonderful chefs and all was yummy. Our cabin was clean and neat and cozy. In one word..........FABULOUS...............Randee and Raelle

Room Tip: we will add photos.............
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RandeeGoldmanKatlin
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Even better than what we imagined.
Everything was great.The food homemade, the accomodation very cute, clean and cosy. The people very nice and friendly. The rides safe and around a beautiful area.
It totaly worth the price.
A great experience that everyone should do at leat once !

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Cindy P
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Our cub scouts went for a weekend and never wanted to leave.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed for 2 nights on a $99 per night offer. The accommodation was lovely. The food was all home cooked and delicious. The people were so friendly and welcoming. It is a very relaxed place with a laid back place attitude which is perfect for a weekend in the country.

We rode a lot over the weekend. We all progressed with our riding having 3 1 hour arena lessons (including barrel racing) and 3 trail rides. The teachers were very experienced and friendly. We felt safe whilst being pushed to progress our riding skills and having fun at the same time.

Smores around the camp fire in the evening and the hot tub were highlights!

Would recommend this to anyone who wants to relax in a different way and have fun!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends