Rancho Cortez
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Bandera
See available hotels
Great 4.5/5
Excellent 5/5
    Hotel Alsace(Castroville)
    Very Good 4/5
    All reviewscowboy larryboot camphot tubhorseback ridinghalf day tripmy daughtercamp fireranch handslonghorn cattlewagon ridea great experiencedude ranch experiencenovice ridersoutside worldfajitasweek staylearned how
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 7 July 2014

Our group of 10 (2 families with the youngest children being 12) had a great day around the ranch. It was a little overcast that day and since it was the end of June, we're thinking that was a good thing to keep our visit more comfortable. Most of us had very little or no horse riding experience and the wranglers did a good job at matching us up with appropriate horses. The two 1 hour rides were just right for us newbies to trail riding. Most of us enjoyed a game of water volleyball at the indoor pool in between rides and my husband decided to utilize the gym (part of the facilities for the fitness offerings at the ranch). The wagon ride to see the longhorns was another highlight for those of us who had that on their "things to do while in Texas" list.

The adults opted for the salad bar and delicious chicken salad at lunch while the kids were happy with the hot dogs and mac 'n' cheese offered that day. The chicken fajitas and mexican rice were delicious at dinner (the menu rotates based on the day of the week). It was fun talking to the other visitors and finding out more about the area while we waited for dinner at the covered patio.

The employees of any company will make or break a customer's experience and Eileen and Chris really made the day enjoyable for us. From answering question after question, to letting us help unsaddle the horses at the end of the day (another delightful first for us), regaling us with stories of how the area developed during the Civil War and teaching our Boy Scout some knots used around horses, Eileen was a treasure to spend the day with. Chris did a good job leading our rides and teaching us about the longhorns and other animals around the ranch. He was also super patient when he tried to teach 7 of us at one time how to use the lasso. Apparently we city slickers need more practice in loosening up our wrists. Several of us persevered and got a lasso on the wooden bulls. These two wranglers really did whatever it took to make our (and other guests') stay enjoyable that day. We also wanted to give a big shout out to Jesus (the evening's cook) for a fabulous dinner. I wish I knew how he made the rice and chicken.

For some of our group, this day was the best part of our week long visit to the San Antonio area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
    1  Thank 2engineers
    Reviewed 1 July 2014

Our family planned on staying at Rancho Cortez for 3 days and 2 nights for the dude ranch experience but the weather did not cooperate. We had heavy rains and cold temperatures throughout our stay with the temperature failing to get out of the 30’s. As one would expect the dude ranch experience focuses on outside activities and with the bad weather the outside activities were not an option. They did not offer any alternative activities to compensate for the bad weather.

So our stay turned into hanging out in the room until it was time to eat again. I am all about a dude ranch experience being a place free from distractions such as cell phones, televisions and computers. However with no activities being offered it would have been nice to be able to have the kids watch a little tv or have access the to Wi-Fi in a weather controlled environment. As a professional business executive, it would have also been nice just to be able to check my cellphone messages and emails every several hours in the event of an emergency. There is no Verizon cell service and only a limited Wi-Fi spot open weather conditions to access the Internet at very, very, very slow Internet speeds.

Our room was as one would expect when staying at a dude ranch. Don’t expect 5 star accommodations. Our room had a king sized bed and bunk beds.

Based upon our experience, I would not recommend extended stay at Rancho Cortez. For us a 3-day and 2-night visit would have been more than enough for the experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
    4  Thank AppStateJay
    Reviewed 29 May 2014

In looking for a ranch to spend our annual girls trip on, we decided on Rancho Cortez as the best choice for the money. We booked in January for a trip on Memorial Day weekend and at that time I did not read the reviews. As the trip got closer, I started to read reviews and was really concerned about what we had signed ourselves up for. Our trip was great. Rain and all. The staff were all super nice. Food was ok. Not gourmet by any means, but good none the less. Being a horse owner myself, the first thing I was concerned about was the condition of the horses. I was pleasantly surprised. All their hooves were trimmed and taken care of. They looked well fed and happy. 2 of the girls on our trip had never been on horses and had a great time. The staff checked our saddles as they loaded everyone on their horses, and checked them again before we went out on each of our 4 rides. The ranch had lots of things to do..hiking, hot tub, outdoor swimming pool, etc. The rides and breakfast, lunch and dinner were at scheduled times, but the rest of the day was up to us, which was nice. Cabins were nice and clean and had plenty of room for all of us. The owner tried to get to know everyone that was there for the weekend and I was surprised how he remembered little details we had talked about the day before. I would definitely stay here again and plan on bringing my 7 year old with me.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
    1  Thank JRB497
    Reviewed 19 May 2014

I had originally booked my 2 week stay with out reading any reviews, so when I read them I was discouraged and wondered what I got myself into. However after spending 2 weeks there, I am thrilled to say I had an amazing experience with not only getting onto a path of better health, I achieved a level of peace that as a fast paced working professional have not had for many decades. I left Rancho Cortez 14.5 inches smaller plus enriched by new friendships, It is an honest , no frills approach to fitness. IT WORKS. If you do decide to go. Larry the owner is an amazing story teller, do not forget to go sit by the camp fire and ask for a story. THANK YOU RANCHO CORTEZ , I WILL BE BACK IN NOVEMBER.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
    7  Thank Cetty W
    Reviewed 10 May 2014

We really enjoyed the stay at Rancho Cortez.
    Everything we did was great fun! Feeding the horses, donkey, cattle and longhorns, horseback riding, Lassoing, cooldown in the pool, campfire...
    The animals are in a good condition and for all kind of riders. For the first time on a horseback or experienced riders.
    The whole Ranch is well kept with nice accomodations.
    We enjoyed the time with the employees. They took care for everything that happened on the Ranch and were allways willing to give you good ideas what else you can experience.

So a big Thanks to Irene, Chris and Dalton and the whole Staff!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple