“We probably won't return here”

El Jacalito Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 40 Restaurants in Bandera
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Bandera, Texas
“We probably won't return here”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I ordered the tacquito plate. It came with 2 soft , ground beef tacquitos, rice and beans. The tacquitos were quite flavorless...blah. I asked my hubby how his been enchilada was and he said good. I tried it and it was very flavorful. Chips & salsa cost extra, but we got them. sort of thick chips but the salsa was good-little spicy but not too much. Our waitress was friendly & did a good job. But one of the other waitresses really turned me off. I watched her refill ketchup bottles (or salsa bottles?) and when there was ketchup spilling over the edge of the bottle opening, she just used her bare finger to push it back into the bottle. Who knows what kind of germs she may have had on her hands and now they're in the food customers are going to eat. Unsanitary! Just before that, she had been digging something out from between two cabinets and throw it away. You know how dirt gets in-between cabinets. It made me wonder if she was touching dirt & filth back there and then she used her fingers to touch the ketchup customers would be eating. YUK! A tip for future customers: you aren't brought a bill to your table. When you're finished eating, you just go up to the front counter & your bill should be up there. You pay the cashier, not your waitress. Taste-wise, I would give it a second chance, but I really didn't care for the one waitress there, so in reality, we probably won't go back. We really like the food and professionalism of the folks at Mi Pueblo.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank retiredAK

Bandera
“Overrated”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Good mexican food but not the best I've ever had. Large portions, we can never eat everything we're served. The service is good & the prices are good.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank herenwho
Bandera, Texas
“Best in Tex-Mex”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Food is freshly and well prepared; relaxed atmosphere; homey feel from staff and patrons. Homemade corn tortillas; plates come with beans and potatoes; chorizo and egg; machacado; barbacoa; migas - all are excellent.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Karen R
Austin, Texas
“Family Style Food and Friendly Service”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Four of us stopped in for dinner and ordered quesadillas, enchiladas, all plates with rice and beans. The taco chips that preceded the meal were warm and tasted fresh. Salsa was very good. The server was friendly, efficient and helpful. She gladly got some of us coffee after the meal. A handy place to stop for unpretentious, good food.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Two-For-Texas
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
“Great enchiladas!”
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Went with five friends yesterday for lunch, another example of a dive restaurant having the best food! The salsa, the bean soup, the chicken enchilada with spinach sauce, and rice,everything was delicious. Everyone loved their meals. The prices are outstanding! Paid three times as much for a Mexican meal in San Antonio the night before and this place beat it by a mile. Highly recommend and wish I lived closer to I could go more often.

• Visited May 2013