“A fantastic and enjoyable experience”
Review of Dixie Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Dixie Dude Ranch
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and I are from UK and we went to this Ranch with friends from Texas and although we knew nothing of what we might expect there, we had a most enjoyable time. It is very relaxing place, rural and rustic of course, thats the whole idea. The food was amazing and prepared by the wonderful staff and served by them with so much care for your needs and well being.
The highlight has to be the twice a day horse riding experience. My wife and I had not been on a horse for a few years, so real beginners. The cowboys were helpful and good humoured and kept a close eye on us all as we rode through the ajoining countryside of the ranch, taking us on a different trail each time. Again the highlight had to be the cowboy breakfast at 8 am watching the sun rise over the ranch.
There were many other activities to take part in if you choose including a very attractive looking pool, but we didn't.
This is a wonderful spot to experience a ranch way of life. There is still a great potential that could be explored to bring this up to a top rate business and experience, but I suppose this is part of its charm. A wonderful experience that we hope one day to repeat.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 June 2014

My husband & I went as part of a 3 week road trip. No tv & no cell service which was great for us. We really were able to relax & unwind. The swimming pool was great & the wranglers, horses & rides were awesome. A lot of activities such as horse shoes, ping pong, washer toss, tether ball, playground, and the activities they have every night. The food was amazing &never a shortage of it. We will be back for sure.
Things to know: our bed was hard, watch for critters in the cabin (don't leave food out), lots of kids which didn't bother us any.
We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Honey-BunnyX2
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I went to Dixie Dude Ranch for a work trip and had the best time. If it’s not the friendly dogs running around or the staff that is more than accommodating it’s the cute cabins and cowboys that are what makes this place a great weekend pick. I was very nervous to go horseback riding and they assured me that I would be on a very calm slow moving horse and that was definitely the case. They family style meals were fun and so was the live entertainment. Overall this was a great weekend trip and I encourage anyone that is looking for a family friendly fun spot to head straight to Dixie Dude ranch for a good ol’ time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Let me start by saying until this trip I had NEVER in my life been on a real live horse, and I was quite nervous about that.
My Girl Scout troop chose the Dixie Dude Ranch as their end of the year trip and they worked as hard as they could selling box after box of cookies in order to afford this "reward"....
From the moment we arrived on the property, we were smiling :)
The lodge is comfortable and welcoming, the staff is amazing, and the setting is fabulous --- loves me some Texas hill country.....
We quickly unloaded our cars, picked our rooms.... which let me say were GREAT! Between all of us, we utilized 7 rooms, and loved them all.... after room choice was taken care of, it was time to get saddled up. The horses are so sweet and well cared for. You can probably let go of the reins and they will still take you where you need to go. After I got over my initial shock of how high off the ground I was once astride my noble steed, "Sox", I was soon calm and ready to ride. I think that had to do with the horses but also our trail riding cowboys, or as we referred to them, OUR cowboys. They were so good with the girls, and so calming and friendly.... I was so thankful that we had such great handlers with such a mixed group of life long riders, first timers, and nervous nellies that were afraid of everything nature-al.... They made an awesome experience even better.
Now, if all you go there for is the horse riding, you won't be disappointed.... BUT, they also have: a pool, volleyball court, horse shoe pit, washer game, swing set, 4 calm dogs that like attention from visitors (just don't forget to pick up all of your belongings --- they like to "borrow" shoes, towels, water bottles, cameras....), hiking trails AND fyi - it is one mile from the lodge to the main gate, so a two mile walk for those that like to stretch out their saddle sores ;)
As if that weren't enough, let me tell you about the FOOD... it is DELICIOUS!!!! We went in expecting hot dogs, beans and cornbread... basic stuff, and instead we had home cooking served family style with seconds and thirds offered before you even finished your first helping! I think I gained 5 pounds in the three days we were there!
I strongly recommend the Dixie Dude Ranch for other Girl Scout troops, families, girls' weekends, family group gatherings.... it is a truly wonderful place to go and stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gO_mAmA_gO_99
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Just got back to Galveston from a 3 day stay at the ranch and my grandson wants to know if we are going back next week!!!!
This place was exactly as described. Rustic and homey.
Our cabin was the Wrangler and it was perfect for this Gma and her 5 yr old grandson. Simple and comfy with everything we needed and right by the goats and horses. It is hard to describe how beautiful it is to watch the horses come off the range back to the corral every morning! Stunning!
The grounds are well kept and VERY kid friendly. The pool has view of the surrounding hills that is unbelievable.
I am in the hospitality business and this ranch hit it out of the park. From the phone call to kim to make the reservation to paying my bill today before we left, the entire staff are some of the nicest folks I have had the pleasure to meet. Thank you Clay and Diane for having these folks around. My grandson Izaiah had the time of his life and that to me is priceless.
We will be back because Dixie Dude ranch is our home on the range. Thanks to all.
Marianne aka Gma

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank gmabuggey
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have been coming to the Dixie Dude all of my life (57 years) and continue the tradition with my nephews, niece, sister and 93 year old Mom to celebrate Mother's Day this past weekend. We have been long time family firends and Clay and Diane were wonderful hosts as usual. Super horse back ride for 3 of us and delicious lunch. The boys 13 and 9 had so much fun playing teather ball and playing with the dogs. Our only complaint is that our visit was way too short. We had only a few hours but didn't want to miss a trip to the Dixie Dude. I am now living in California and my girlfriends and i are planning a vacation for next Spring. Look out here we come.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank KMaddenJohnson
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I had a lovely time this past weekend at the Dixie Dude Ranch. I haven't been to Bandera for a few years, and decided to try a different dude ranch this time around (I live about two hours from Bandera).

The dude ranch was almost identical to the previous one I'd gone to. Rustic, lots of wide open spaces, friendly cowboys, friendly owners, no way to plug in (don't pretend you are going to get ANY work done while you're at the ranch - this place is for getting away from it all!).

The food was just amazing. I don't usually like catfish, but their fried catfish was just so yummy! I have some special food requirements, and they did their very best to meet them. (Thank you!)

If you're expecting a five-star hotel, this is not the place. If you're expecting long views of the Texas hill country, trail rides, cowboy sing-a-longs, swimming, and getting away from any hint of the city... then you're in the right place.

Pros: Was able to REALLY unplug!
Cons: (if you call them that) No cell phone reception, no tv in the room, no wifi (at least not in the room)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank poetesstx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandera
Flying L Hill Country Resort
#19 of 24 in Bandera
Pioneer River Resort
Pioneer River Resort
#16 of 24 in Bandera

Been to Dixie Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!