“Great ranch experience for the family”

Flying L Hill Country Resort
huntington beach
“Great ranch experience for the family”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We really enjoyed our 2 days at this ranch in Bandera.

The good.....
1) Kids loved the horseback riding.....$40 per rider
2) 1 bedroom villa was cute (nothing special) and fit our family of 6 nicely.
3) waterpark was a great bonus but a bit pricey and the water was a bit cold for us parents but the kids seemed to do okay with the temperature.
4) free Tractor ride....a tractor pulls a trailer at dusk and you get to see deer, antelope and rabbits
5) Free mini golf....My boys and i enjoyed this simple put put course
6) Cowboys songs were sung by the campfire.....fun time!
7) Free smores every night
8) Close to the town of Bandera where you can get groceries or go to restaurants.
9) Staff was very friendly

Cons
1) You are in wilderness but there are other properties surrounding/within the ranch. This is not necessarily a bad thing....Just don't expect to be out in the middle of pristine non developed areas.
2) Waterpark was pricey....they have half price Mondays and 10 dollar Tuesdays so take advantage of that.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank dilly4j

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Our week at the Flying L was a great experience for our entire family! My wife and I shared a one-bedroom villa that was connected to a two-bedroom villa that our son, his wife and three children shared.

The villa was large, clean and comfortable.

We were on the breakfast / dinner meal plan. All of these meals were buffet style and the food was plentiful, tasty, and with lots of different selections each day.

The entire Flying L staff was very friendly, attentive and helpful - all day, everyday!

We found the history of the ranch and the history of Bandara and the surrounding area to be of great interest - and all was well presented and explained in detail by the Flying L staff during our stay

Our grandchildren (ages 3, 9 and 11) had a non-stop blast. Went horseback riding twice, morning activities each day conducted by Flying L staff, the waterpark was expansive and fun for children and adults, the 18-hole miniature golf course, and a daily pony ride for our 3-year old granddaughter.

Night activities were tons of fun - from ghostown with sheep dog demo, learning to shoot a bow and arrow, crack a bull whip, and listening to some excellent cowboy singing! And of course - smokes every night at sundown

This ranch experience fits perfectly for families with children from ages 3 to 14 - but, it also caters to adult groups with custom functions - one which was happening during our stay

The town of Bandera was interesting and has very good lunch options. A scenic 1-hour drive up the road to Fredrickburg is well worth it. Great restaurants, shopping and the expansive WWII War in the Pacific Museum all add up to a fun and relaxing day.

Bottom line - a fun and different vacation experience at a place that goes all out to make sure you have a great time!

Room Tip: Make sure you review the many room options and layouts on the Flying L website to book a room that f...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Howard N
Schertz, TX
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed at the Flying L for one night in Feb and three nights in early Mar –two couples each time. We signed up for the room, golf and meal package both visits. What a treat! No surprises; no gimmicks. Everything provided completely as advertised with a wonderful smile and a welcoming attitude.

We couldn’t ask for a more friendly and helpful staff to guide us through the reservation, check-in and check-out process. Everyone at the front desk was courteous to the nth degree and more than willing to answer our seemingly endless stream of questions.

The pro-shop personnel were very accommodating in ensuring that we each received a round of golf for each night we stayed in the Flying L lodging. They were very helpful in providing us tee times that fit perfectly in to our active daily schedule. The course itself was challenging and in good condition considering the harsh winter we've had. The ladies that worked in the café adjacent to the pro-shop were extremely courteous and always very customer oriented. Their lattes were outstanding!

The breakfast and dinner meals were absolutely delicious. Their breakfasts offered a nice variety of cold cereals, oatmeal, eggs (including personalized omelets), sausage, bacon, pancakes, toast, jams juices, coffee, tea, milk, hot chocolate, biscuits and a nice assortment of fruit (whole and cut up). They had themed dinners - Italian, BBQ and Mexican. All three were winners – both quality and quantity! The kitchen staff set the standard for excellence – both in preparation and service. Each and every one of them was extremely focused on ensuring we had enough to eat and that we were completely satisfied with every portion.

The evening entertainment provided by Buck and Matt was something very special – not only because of their finger-snapping, toe-tapping country songs but also because of the way they were able to connect with the audience. Their harmony was a joy to listen to and Buck has a gift for telling stories and relating anecdotes about country life and country songs. What a great way to spend an enjoyable evening sitting around a camp fire and listening to country ballads and traditional favorites with a welcomed invite to join in the singing.

We stayed in a suite during our first stay and a water park unit for our three night stay. Both units were very clean and offered all the essentials. The suite was somewhat smaller and had a microwave and small frig. The water park unit was larger and offered a kitchenette. The latter was ideal for two couples because the unit had a larger side with a larger sitting area (“A” side) and a smaller side with a smaller sitting area (“B” side). There is an adjoining door between each side which, when locked, offers privacy. We found both sides to be very spacious and comfortable. The fireplace on the “A” side offered a comfortable setting to enjoy a nice glass of wine in the evening.

We would like to thank everyone at the Flying L who went above and beyond to make both of our visits entertaining, memorable and totally enjoyable. Their commitment to quality customer service was immediately noticed and genuinely felt from the moment we made our reservations and throughout our entire visits. Susan Jenkins, the general manager, has truly done a remarkable job assembling an outstanding “customer-oriented” staff. The Flying L has our highest recommendation.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a water park unit.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TexNav
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I recently stayed at the Flying L Guest "Ranch" for 3 days and I didn't see or have the opportunity to ride a horse. When we checked in on a Thursday afternoon, we were told that all rides for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday were all booked - so no horse riding available all 3 days. I should mention - OK - we did see 1 horse. My 4 year old was able to ride the miniature horse "Brownie" as part of the kids morning camp which was nice.

When I expressed my frustration with management about the horse riding situation, they seemed mildly interested in making things better nor did they offer an alternative solution. This was very disappointing considering there are other options in the area. I also suggested that they put "horse riding" is not guaranteed with your stay on their website and they did seem interested in the suggestion either so that's why I'm explaining in this review.

I wanted to echo another reviewers suggestion to do your research before booking here. It seems like the Flying L caters more to golfers than City Slickers who want to play cowboy on the weekend. The Silver Spur and The Mayan Ranch offers guaranteed horse riding twice a day included in your all-inclusive package while the Flying L charges separate for this excursion.

Addition Info:

Pros:

Daniel and Buck are your best friends while staying at the Flying L
Kids camp is good
Water park and lodging are good

Cons:

Management not interested in your feedback just your money
Food is OK for the price and is buffet style
You have to wear a wristband the entire stay to prove you're a guest (how about just flashing a key)

I hope you find this review helpful.

Happy Trails!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank InSA2010
Houston
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We are 2 families (4 adults, 4 kids..ages 11-14) that stayed one night end of December. Check-in was smooth, place was quiet, and our rooms were clean and ready. Very friendly staff, quiet facilities, and good food plentiful and served on time in the restaurant.

Pros
Quiet, relaxing place overall, friendly staff, and good food.
Kids played tennis, basketball, put-put golf, and walked the nature trails in the rear of the property.
Adults relaxed with a few adult beverages (we were friendly asked to keep in your room and not about resort)
Deer running among the secured 500+ acres, a nice view when you are driving in the rear of property
We rented horses on the last day, a nice trail walk through rugged hills, dry creek bed, and in the woods. Recommend this!

Cons
Winter months, not much else to do with the pool being closed. They were somewhat bored with limited activities. Not much other kids to play with.
The resort is actually among residential homes throughout, private property. No issue, but feel you are a mix with guests and residents.
Villas are comfortable, but seemed very outdated 1970s. Understood, a cowboy place and not décor!

Recommendations
Ensure you are clear on what you are looking for. This is a guest house place (as in the name), not a dude ranch. There was no “cowboy experience” and more of staying in a golf villa condo. Food was buffet style served indoor restaurant (not outdoor cookouts). We were thinking more of outdoor cowboy experiences, involvement, and learning experiences. You are pretty much to yourself for entertainment. It is relaxing… I’m just saying do your research. We wished we would have stayed in a more involved, cowboy experience place. Otherwise, could have stayed at a golf villa resort for the same experiences.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelTexas1
Central Florida, Florida
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I took my 86 yr old grandmother, my 40ish son, his wife and 8 year old grandson for a 4 day stay. It is easy to find with GPS and not far from town. If you prefer 4 star hotels skip this. If you are adventurous and have kids this would probably be a lot of fun in warmer weather. I booked a horse ride for everyone and it took a little time for the horses to decide we were acceptable. There are some scenic areas to ride. I forgot the exact price for the ride. $30-$40 ? Per person. There are other places to ride if you want to try different areas. Our family did rave about the food. You are missing out if you skip the meal package. One cook said he cooks sometimed at the big game hunting ranches. The staff were all down to earth, pleasant people and a couple of them I spoke with said the owners treat them very good. No bugs to be found in the rooms. The beds were comfortable. No feather pillows which is ok for us due to allergied.That is a plus for being in the country in the winter. Downside, cable TV went out 12 hours after we checked in. We did not get cable for the rest of the visit. I was disappointed that the front desk didn't offer a discount for our stay because it is pricey. Fortunately we all took showers at night because one morning the hot water was not making it to the bathroom. I think it was around 2 PM before hot water returned. Odd because we always had hot water in the kitchen. Internet is nonexistant in the cabins. You have to go to the main building for that and even there it is slow. This is not a place for someone that doesn't have a "steady foot". There are lots of places I pointed out to my elderly mother to be careful. There is a mock up buildings site a 15 minutes hike away. My grandson played cowboy there and made a little movie on his ipad. After going there I could understand signing the waiver at check in case I was injured. My grandson loved it because his imagination didn't see the splinters, uneven steps, etc. He saw the wild west and a shootout on main street. My family stayed at the Marriott Resort & Spa for 5 days after we left the Flying L. We did get awesome Gold Club rates and even spending $75 to a $100 per meal for our entire family, the Marriott was cheaper and provided a lot of amenities. If you go to the Flying L in the Winter and have a cabin with fireplace, wood is $12 a bundle in the clubhouse. Try to compare $ in town. I bought some of those fire logs at the local grocery and they helped get the fire going easily. The kitchens in the cabins had microwaves, large refrigerator, they will give you free ice. There are a few dishes, coffee maker. I bought some fruit, popcorn, coffee, etc in town. The snacks were a waste of money because we ate so well in the dining hall we were never hungry. As most everyone says, Buck the songmaster, is a plus for the Flying L. I asked at the front desk if I could include a tip for staff on my bill. Was told no, but if I left cash, they would give it to them. I chose to give cash to some of the dining room staff and ask them to share with the kitchen crew. We tipped the woman who took us horse riding. I didn't see Buck again or I would have tipped him. Would I go there again. No. I think I might try visiting Boerne or Wimberley guest ranches after traveling the Hill Country. Would I eat there again. Absolutely! The area looks like it would be great to travel in if you ride motorcycles.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My grandmother got our entire family a stay here as our Christmas gift! We all went together (20+) of us ( 6 of which were kids. It was SOOO much fun! The entire staff is super friendly and helpful. Each group stayed in a Villa, they were very spacious and comfortable. Love the tubs in the bathrooms! The kids loved all the various play grounds and the putt putt was so much fun. The activity center for kids that they do every day from 9-12 they LOVED! So much to do and just a wonderful place to get away and just spend time with family with out all the hustle and bustle of the city. We have already talked about when we can make time to go back. We highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: Beds are comfy but I would bring your own pillow ( just a personal preference)
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandera
Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center
Best Western Boerne Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn and Suites Boerne
Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
Bandera Guest House with A Place To Stay
Top of the Hill RV Resort

Been to Flying L Hill Country Resort? Share your experiences!