“won't be back”

Ranked #21 of 25 Hotels in Baytown
Winder, Georgia
“won't be back”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I know this is a low price motel and we just stayed the night but I wish now we had gone to the Super 8 across the street. The room was hot and stuffy all night even though the A/C was on full blast all night. We couldn't get all the lights to work. They spend the money for a big flat screen TV but don't have a hair dryer in the bath or an outlet for one but they have a bottle opener.

Room Tip: should you be desperate enough to stay here, get a room on the first floor the steps are terrible
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liz D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Given the overall decent reviews, I expected more from this Motel 6. It wasn't bad, and in fact I would recommend it. Just not quite up to par for our odd requirements.

The room itself was very nice. New flooring, marble sink countertop, good shower pressure, etc. The a/c was already running, so the room was good & cold upon arrival. In fact, it worked so well we had to turn it to Low Fan mode in the middle of the night! Unheard of for my overheating husband.

The channel lineup was dismal. Motel 6 is rarely without Cartoon Network, but this one was, and there were no other kid-friendly channels to replace it. I understand that this is likely a regional thing, and probably couldn't be helped. This is, for us, one of those major irritations, so if you're as picky as we are (gotta have that adult swim lineup!), be forewarned. CN was still on the channel lineup, which just added insult to injury.

We keep a Zune in case of such emergencies - just hook up to the TV and watch movies or listen to music off of it, right? The flatscreen TV absolutely refused to allow a connection to the a/v jacks. I believe something was probably not plugged in properly, and we likely could have had it resolved earlier in the day, but it was late, and sleep was more important.

The beds were adequate - standard well-used Motel 6 mattresses, sloping toward the middle. Everything was clean.

Coke products & a microwave in the lobby vending area = bonus points. (Micro/fridge available in some rooms for $3, as well as pay-for wifi. I never have good luck with M6 wifi, so didn't opt for that.)

The ice machine was a little tricky to find, as there were no signs for it. Get directions. :)

Didn't need to do laundry, so didn't ask if facilities were available.

The girl who checked me in (no nametags, grr!) was polite and friendly. Checkout in the morning was less so. So...service was 50/50.

The most irritating thing about this stay wasn't the hotel's fault at all, but I'll note it anyway. Some woman came banging on our door at 6:30am, looking for someone else. We needed to get up early, but it's just so aggravating when you get woken up a half hour or so *before* planned, because you never get back to sleep.

All in all, I would give this location another chance, but would definitely make sure the TV jacks were hooked up properly before getting too comfortable.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank AardvarkTees
Texas
Reviewed 25 July 2010

This place is conveniently located off I-10, a major interstate. Outside is kind of run down and a little creapy. Pool was small but seemed ok, closes at 10, so no late night swimming.Rooms were basic but very clean and roomy. Loved the floors. (NO funky, dirty carpeting!) Beds were comfy but could have used another blanket..Recently updated Overall, for the price...would definitely stay again.: )

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PiratesSmile
West Monroe
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I was returning to Baton Rouge late last Saturday evening (June 6). I had thought I would drive all the way to Baton Rouge, but I became really tired. I was passing through Baytown, took the exit, and saw the Motel 6. Generally, I do not stay at Motel 6, but the outside looked just fine and it was in a great location. I went in, and the clerk told me the rooms were recently renovated, including new mattresses. I decided to say and I am so glad I did. I could not believe how nice the room was. Everything was immaculately clean and fresh. The wood-effect flooring was great and such a nice change from carpeting and the basin in the bathroom was great . But the best surprise was how wonderfully comfortable the bed was. Also, the flat screen TV and cable offerings were an added bonus. From now on, as I travel, I will look a newly renovated Motel 6. I could not believe that I was in a Motel 6. It was truly a bargain and I could not ask for more!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank biztraveler009
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 February 2008

Stayed here while traveling through. Not bad. Price was dirt cheap so I had my suspicions, but was perfect for what we needed...weary travelers who needed a clean place to crash for the night and get on the road the next day. Nothing special, but you get what you pay for: no breakfast, etc. No problem for pet travelers (no fees, etc). The website lists incorrect directions if you are going there. I cant remember exactly what the exit number is, but for discussion sake let's say it is exit # X. Well, Exit # X doesn't exist if you are westbound on I-10, only eastbound. When you miss it, then decide to exit on the frontage road to double back, DO NOT stay on the westbound frontage road to the hotel. Get back on I-10 eastbound and take the appropriate exit. (the reason is because the frontage road becomes a mandatory U-turn and spits you back out where you initially exit.) I know this is confusing, so to avoid it yourself, call the motel. Trust me, at around midnight after all day driving, I wish I would have.

• Liked — Closeness to I-10
  • Disliked — Confusing directions provided by hotel website.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank mjacostausmc
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 12 August 2007

I have stayed at Motel 6 in my travels many times, although always clean- they were always average, offering the basic motel accommodations, so I have never taken the time to write about one- until now.
Whatever chain this property was originally built as, it has some great business traveler features, and Motel 6 has kept it fresh and appealing.
I really was surprised to see a work station on the wall where there is typically a long low 4 to 6 drawer dresser in most motels, with the TV sitting on it. This is in addition to the typical square table that I usually end up using as a desk. The fact there is an outlet and shelves also was a nice touch.
The paint and carpet are fairly new, and the vanity has its own alcove, with a door separating it to the bathroom
I would recommend this motel to anyone doing business in the Baytown area

• Liked — Work station in room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Robojoe