“Old time atmosphere with a dash of class!”
Review of The Gin

The Gin
Ranked #2 of 75 Restaurants in Belton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have been to The Gin on several occasions. I really enjoy the burger and sandwich options as my wife enjoys the different salads. The menu has a great selection and for the quality of the food and the amazing atmosphere the prices are very competitive to other nearby restaraunts.

2  Thank SirPuraVida

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Good food, good service (usually, sometimes not great, but sometimes WONDERFUL, it's a little hit or miss), and a great atmosphere. When we have friends in from out of town, we go here, because it's just neat.

1  Thank Jerri-G-Belton
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We have known about this restaurant for a few years, but until last night avoided it due to the wide range of reviews. However, all other restaurants in the area were closed or didn't interest us, so we rolled the dice. My wife, adult son, and I each started with a cup of Texas Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. We all found this very unique and tasty, and the cup was just the right size as an appetizer. We weren't overly hungry, so we each had Avocado Steak Salads with sun-dried tomato vinaigrette dressing. All of these ingredients were fresh. We very much liked the flavor of the steak which was cooked medium rare as we requested. All of us thought the salads needed more avocado, however. We finished with The Gin Cobbler desserts, also quite good. My son and I each had a bloody Mary which were well prepared and very tasty. Our server was superb although at that time, the restaurant was not overly busy. Based on the reviews, I'm not sure I would go back. Based on our meal, we will go back.

2  Thank John_and_Emily
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Everybody cruising up and down I-35 in Texas knows where Austin is. But cruise about an hour north to Belton, Texas, and you'll not only find a wonderful old-time Texas town, the county seat of Belton County and birthplace of the late Captain Henry Waskow, US Army, immortalized by the late war correspondent Ernie Pyle...but you'll also find great food in a great atmosphere.

We are new to the area, which is close to the large military base at Fort Hood. We drove over to Belton the other day, and I had a most fantastic hamburger at The Gin at Nolan Creek. This is a marvelous restaurant, a renovation of what actually had been a cotton gin, built before the Hurricane of '37 wiped out the cotton business from our part of The Lone Star State. Open brick interior walls, high ceilings, polished wood, view onto the creek and covered veranda outside, etc.

On to the meal: My burger was made from ground (and pardon me if I got the spelling wrong) Akauski beef; this is a special brand of beef, highly favored by the Japanese market. My wonderful wife had the Southwest Chicken Club. And each of us had their home-cut fries. Plus Pepsi. (Hey, we're Coke people, but it's still soda, and cola, right? And it's still LEGAL in Texas, right?) Our server Joe, Table 10, was a remarkable young man, too, whose service and hospitality encouraged us to visit The Gin real soon.

And y'all can leave yer hat on!

2  Thank BrooklynSheldon
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The Gin is super cool, there's no other better word. My hamburger was super tasty, cooked really well, but it wasn't life-changing or anything. The whole concept of turning an old cotton gin into a restaurant is really neat. The other cool thing is the little courtyard outside the restaurant. They've got lights strung up everything and it's really inviting and fun.

1  Thank Jafarmer

Been to The Gin? Share your experiences!