“This place is disgusting”

Scottish Inns Big Spring
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Big Spring
Sierra Vista, Arizona
“This place is disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

The overall building is in poor shape, the room is very disgusting. Carpet very dirty and stained, the bathroom tile cracked, the floor felt like you could fall throught it, if you stepped hard enough. The toilet was not bolted in, it was nasty at the base( floor)it looked like old pee. The bedspread was dirty, it had dried blood on it. I'm not sure why Trip Advisor gave it a good review. The pictures that are posted on the web are fake. The rooms do not look like the pictures on the web.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank therakitty70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

I found this motel for my mom and her husband to stay the night while traveling from their home in Arizona to my house in Fort Worth, TX. My daughter and nephew plus 2 small dogs were in tow with them.
This motel was extremely cheap at $45....so I called and talked to "Pretty" to make sure my mom got a clean room. She said no problem and she personally cleans the rooms and she is there everyday 24 hours. I also asked her to put it in the notes on the reservation that they would need extra towels and sheets for makeshift bedding on the floor for my nephew. I also told her they were traveling with dogs....again "no problem". I only called requesting these things because I read a couple un-favorable reviews.
My mom just called me saying they just arrived and were leaving. She said the man at the front desk was EXTREMELY rude. He told them they couldn't have more than 3 towels total and NO dogs allowed. It says on every website, "Pets welcome" for this motel. My mom told him that her son talked to "Pretty" last night and told her all this. He was the owner and Pretty's husband....he said, "No one said anything and NO dogs, you must leave." My mom told him the dogs will stay in their kennels in the car then. Again, "No, you must leave because you have dogs."
The owners are Middle Easterners and evidently he doesn't honor what it says on websites advertising PETS WELCOME! And, he is very rude when dealing with guests.
I guess the price of $45 was TOO good to be true!!
My mom did say that the room appeared clean for the few minutes they were in it.....now they are on the road again and I feel bad for sending them to Scottish Inns in Big Spring, TX.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank TexasToys

Travellers are raving about these Big Spring hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Our room was the last available when I called. We arrived late and tired. By the time we got everything in the room and really looked around it was midnight. We didn't have the energy to repack the car and find another hotel for only six hours of sleep.

The room was very hot and the A/C unit very old and not up to the task. One of the two beds was marginally
acceptable but didn't get to comfortable. The sheets were clean and unstained, unlike the towel (NOTE THE
SINGULAR) which had several stains. I got to dry off
with the second bath mat that I suppose was the
substitute for the other towel. The bathroom was
clean until you looked at the window. The accumulation
of dust and grit on the blind and sill were so thick you
could write your name, wipe it out and still be able to
write it again. The carpet and walls were truly filthy. As for the internet, I couldn't detect it and had to use my iPhone as a hot spot.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Zygatto
San Diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

Yes, the bed was clean - I stripped back the sheets to check for bed bugs, and so was the bathroom, but I wouldn't even wear my slippers on the filthy carpet. Surprisingly, they had Free High Speed Internet. It was cheap, and if that's all you can afford, OK, but next time we'll just skip Big Spring altogether and drive a few more hours to a better place.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kanda
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

The other two reviewers are quite right. Super clean room for half the price of the big guys nearer the highway. (Exit I20 at exit 179. Follow Business 20 past Quality Inn and down about a mile and a half.) Got here at midnight after car trouble put us behind schedule. (Planned on being in NM by now!) Sleepy clerk/owner(?) was not effusive in his greeting, but was not rude. Got a room on the end, with no neighbors. Room was very hot, but a/c has 2 speeds - turn it on high and room cools right down. Large, newly redone bathroom was great, although Big Spring has hard water and the shower head had some lime buildup and the spray kind of went everywhere, and the sink is quite small. I don't care about that. I care that the bath & towels are clean - which they were. Yes, the tv is small. Really, do you expect a big screen tv in a $40 room? And no hairdryer or coffee maker, But is does have a fridge and a microwave. And the cable and the wi-fi worked great - way better than my sucky wi-fi at home in the big city! We got a king non-smoking room for the price of a single. and it really was n/s - not a hint of smoke. I am super allergic and no problems at all! The only complaint at all is that there is not a passive lock on the door, which made me a little nervous, but I pulled a chair in front of the door, and voila! I have security!
Really, the exterior is old and rundown, but the interior is quite nice. Put aside your prejudices and give it a try. You'll save a ton of money!

Room Tip: ask for best rate. Smile & be super friendly
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank An0nM0m
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

I'm an independent musician and I spend a lot of time on the road in budget hotels.

The Scottish Inn is fantastic! I mean, don't expect the Ritz but when it comes to budget hotels I haven't seen one better. There are a couple things that are important to me.

1. Cleanliness - This room is super clean, I don't know what detergent they used but I loved crawling under the sheets and smelling them all night.

2. Sleepability - That's why you buy a budget hotel right? This one is great. I'm up late and sleep late. This room is DARK! The bed and pillows are awesome. Usually budget hotels skimp on the pillows (in quantity and quality) which really sucks. They did not. I finally got some good sleep.

In addition they bathroom has a nice tub so I got a soak in and they have free (and reliable) Wi-Fi, which is more than I can say for rooms I've paid 3 times this rate for.

The only thing that's strange is how the rooms are laid out. Also, the TV is small. Luckily I don't care about either of those things.

You're not going to beat $40, it's half what everyone else is charging. Drive the 1 mile out of the way to get to this place, you'll be happy you did.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank tomgossmusic
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2009

A man my husband mentors has been moved to the Federal prison in Big Spring...a four hour drive from our home. Since the visiting hours begin early in the morning he now must spend the night. On this trip he decided to try the Scottish Inn Hotel in Big Spring.

He reports that the hotel is old, well-kept, clean, basic, well managed, affordable and convenient to the Federal prison. The reservation was made on-line. Check-in was easy. The room was clean and simply furnished. The room had a television, clock radio, free WiFi, a microwave but no coffee pot or hair dryer. The bed was comfortable although the sheets didn't fit well.

The location is near the downtown area and an easy drive to the Federal prison. At no time did he feel unsafe. If you don't require any more than a simple, clean room for a very reasonable price you might want to consider this Scottish Inn. He plans on staying there again on his next trip.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business