“Filthy squalor. Needs shut down.”
Review of West Texas Inn

West Texas Inn
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Big Spring
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

This place is more like a great depression work camp then a motel. It appears that construction and oil crew families live in the motel by the week. Dirty half naked kids run up and down the property while women sit on the walkways in lawn chairs. Men are coming and going in dirty work clothes screaming back and forth and room doors are slung open to accomodate broken air conditioners. Our room toilet had urine in the bowl and yellow stains inside and outside the toilet bowl. Mold was in the bathroom and the flooring, throughout, was so dirty it was sticky to the touch. The security lock to the door had been torn off and the plastic curtains were brown with dirt. We had to prop the single desk chair against the door for security. The TV had to be 15 years old. Terrible terrible place. They should not be allowed to use the Motel 6 logo. From my perspective this motel could best be described as a flop house.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank bikeman4147
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at West Texas Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Dear bikeman4147 - Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The cleanliness and maintenance issues you encountered are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay. Please kindly contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide our guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

First, I'm not a Super 8 girl, period. But this was the only hotel with good pricing everybody else was asking for an outrageous price?????The facility had easy on/off access to the interstate, and check in was no problem. The bed was comfortable, and the room had been recently renovated , new frige , microwave and flat screen tvs. Clean and tidy everything worked, pillows good, linens freshly laundered, internet is fast, and A/C was wonderful. Room is small, but by myself. I'd stay here again in a pinch.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank anita q
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The facility had easy on/off access to the interstate, and check in was no problem. The bed was comfortable, and the room had been recently painted, but the rest of the amenities could stand to be replaced. The bath area was clean but in poor repair. The refrigerator freezer section door was missing and it needed defrosting. The TV was old with only a mediocre picture. The carpeting may have been vacuumed, but was stained and probably the item most in need of replacement. This facility at best is adequate, but not attractive.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2012

and in this case it was terrible. I'd gone to Big Spring TX to the VA hospital there so was a bit antsy to begin with.
Big Spring is in the oil patch so a lot of big trucks was no surprise - but they were all over, blocking traffic and in general trying to act like a VolksWagen.
Check in was no problem as I had a reservation.
Got to the room and the lights were out - from the light switch by the door - only the light by the bathroom came on.
WiFi - what wifi, it was there, but so slow and poor quality as to be unusable. Couldn't even check email - gave up after about 15 minutes!
Shower - even with the shower curtain in the shower cubicle I got out to water all over the floor. Looked like it was coming under the retaining barrier.
Forget it, I'll watch a movie and go to bed - I wish! the TV worked but the remote didn't.
All in all, if this were my only experience with Motel 6 it would have been my last. Thankfully this is an exception to a normally good, clean, inexpensive chain.

Room Tip: Being in the oil patch, I expected a lot of traffic. They have to get up and go at all hours of the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We got there late, but the front desk was friendly. This property is in bad need of updating. Our air conditioner barely worked, but we were tired and it was ok for one night. Easy access to the interstate.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GweninTX
Reviewed 19 July 2012

My 3 children and I stayed at this Motel 6 for 5 days after staying 1 night at a Motel 6 in Dallas. Maybe we were spoiled from the gorgeous room in Dallas but Big Spring was awful. The carpet was sticky and stained. There was mold around the toilet and shower and the floor in the bathroom was so sticky I didn't want to take my shoes off. Our door wouldn't close all the way unless you pushed really hard, so we had someone knock and the door pop open. The walls were very thin, we could hear the neighboring rooms radio. I think Motel 6 has great prices for a place to sleep, but for the length of the stay we had, I expected more.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Quite run down though clean. Could use a face lift.

Room Tip: cheaper than staying in Midland or Odessa
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple