“Good chips and spicy salsa”

Papa Chon's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 67 Restaurants in Big Spring
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Our hotel suggested Papa Chon's, saying they serve Tex-Mex food. After a long day's drive, I was ready for a meal with no hassles. We both enjoyed Negro Modelo beer and house-made chips with salsa that had good flavor. My husband ordered the Mexican plate, which included a cheese enchilada with red sauce and a taco, with refried beans, and rice. According to the menu, that dish has been on the menu since 1943. He was pleased with his dinner. Those who served water, chips and salsa did an efficient job. Our waiter did not show particular interest, but he was adequate. When my dish arrived, he stated that it was green cheese enchilada (what I had ordered); however, I searched hard for any green in the cheese. It really appeared to be a plain cheese enchilada, with rice and refried beans. The cheese was fine, but not exactly what I expected.
Price was reasonable, but we have no plans to return. Although we sat at a booth in the bar area, a young child was screaming most of the time. Not even 3 televisions broadcasting football games surpassed that child's noise level. Since we were in the bar area, it seems that management should have realized that a screaming child was not something they should ignore.
When traveling, we try to locate good local restaurants, but are not always successful.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Went to Papa Chon's with my 7 months pregnant wife and asked two separate people at separate times not to seat us at the bar. For one my wife is pregnant and two the bar stools are too high for her to get up but they still ended up seating us in the bar. We decided to just leave and neither the hostess or the manager had any care that we were going to leave. Ive worked in the restaurant business and you dont seat a pregnant woman at the bar or make her sit on a tall bar stool. Its just common courtesy and two you dont let people walk out unsatisfied no matter what. Ill never eat there again!!!!!

Reviewed 15 June 2013

I ordered the fajita plate and the food was good my only complain is that the tortillas were store bought . I expect hand made authentic tortillas from a Mexican restaurant and in my opinion the rice was not good either.

Reviewed 28 March 2013

Pretty good Mexican food restaurant contains a bar and service was good, food was hot and a good selection of items were available.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

The menu says the ribeyes are 14 to 16 oz. Mine was nowhere near that weight. Naybe 8 oz at the most. For 19.99 plus tax it wasnt worth it