“great beds” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Big Spring
Ennis, Texas
“great beds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

We are a group of 10 friends who were on a motorcycle trip through the area. This place was very clean, a little pricey but the rooms were large with great beds! The north side rooms are noisy next to the freeway. If I go back through the area I will ask for a south side room. The breakfast was OK but there is not much to chose from in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MarvaandLewis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
St. Augustine, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

First of all, I'm sorry if you have to stay in Big Spring, unless you're there because you're making a fortune in oil. All the hotels are way over-priced and there isn't a good place to eat in town- don't believe the triple A book. We wound up there for a night on our way to California via Cloudcroft NM. The town was packed with oil industry people and we were lucky to get any room. It can be hard for me to travel, because I have asthma, and a lot of hotels are too "poisonous" for me. We can make a reservation, and then not be able to stay there when we enter the room, and it triggers my asthma. That happened to us in Big Spring. We called the Best Western around 2pm when we realized we 'd be in Big Spring for the night, but couldn't stay there after all. We tried the Hampton Inn, but couldn't take the incredibly overly perfumed place either. We wound up getting about the last room available at the Holiday Inn Express. As a last resort, we were lucky. It was the most expensive room we stayed in during a 3 week trip (over $160.), and it was the worst. They wouldn't accept triple A or senior discount.. If we had known anything about Big Spring, we would have stayed in Sweetwater.

Room Tip: Choose a room in Sweetwater if at all possible.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank goodpicker
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

The two worst things about this location is the service and the breakfast. I know it is complimentary, but come on. It is one of the selling points and not even worth mentioning. Speaking of not worth mentioning is the front desk attendant Cynthia. This girl was beyond rude and lacks any type of professional communication skills. After calling the front desk with a problem it took 39 minutes to even address. Even this Cynthia did not apologize and talked on her hotel cordless phone the entire time we were trying to communicate. I was very disappointed in this two night stay and would not recommend this location to anyone.

Room Tip: There is only one elevator so if you do stay here (not recommended) try to get on the first floor. I...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Chris P
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Big Spring, responded to this review, 15 July 2012
Dear Chris P,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. I am truly sorry to hear that the quality of service you received and the breakfast options during your stay did not live up to your expectations. We take your comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for.

Bon V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stay in Big Spring every other month with my company, and this was my first with Holiday Inn Express. The stay was going ok breakfast was ok rooms were fine the problem I had was with the staff. When I received my bill I noticed a $250 dollar charge when I asked the manager what this was I was informed they found a Cigarette butt in my window. Normally I would assume you could talk to management with a pleasant result but that did not happen. I explained that I don’t smoke and it must have been there or something. I was not only informed that they would not be removing the charge but if it was there I had to be smoking in the room. I was very unhappy with this and felt completely screwed by this hotel. I even called the corporate number and no one seems to care. I guess $250 dollars is worth losing future business of 1600 dollars every other month.

Room Tip: Go to one of the other Hotels in Big Spring
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Michael Y
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Big Spring, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear Michael Y,

Thank you for leaving a review. When we find evidence of smoking in a non smoking room. We must close that room for the night and have a specialized team come in to deep clean everything. This is the reason for the charge. I am sorry this has inconvenienced you.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Haslet, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

This is a great hotel to stay in. The staff is always very friendly, the hotel is very clean, and breakfast is great. I wish I could find places like this at every stop I make.

The water quality in Big Spring is pretty terrible, but the HI staff have added a water softener to their system. It is a big improvement and was very noticeable from my previous stays here.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on the south side of the building you'll be away from the busy interstate.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

We made the reservations on the road from fort worth to big spring. The lady i spoke with was very helpful and accomodating, even making a note to the staff to put us close to my in-laws when we got there late that night. We were only three doors down from ma and pa, which was great, considering how late we checked in! The room was spotlessly clean, the bed was comfy, and there was no ambient animal smell like some pet-friendly hotels have. Our puppies had a great time, too! My kids, hubby, and in-laws enjoyed the full breakfast the next morning. I chose sleep over food. Overall, this hotel is very well managed and staffed. Good work for a stopover in the middle of nowhere!

My only caveat: don't eat at the truck stop across the street. Ick.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

This is a little gem, the staff go above and beyond to make you feel welcome.
The beds are awesome, soft and smell clean and fresh.
Breakfast was a treat, bacon, eggs and hot toast, with coffee better than Starbucks, what more could you ask for. I will definatly be back.

Room Tip: Just ask, the staff are so helpful.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo