“Paradijs voor vogel-freaks”

Kabalebo Nature Resort
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Hello everyone, finally made ​​time to write ... about your resort, a paradise where every wish is fullfilled even before you knew you had one. We were there in July 2013. The flight was an experience never to be forgotten and seeing your resort looming in the distance, it's just like the pictures ... Hostess Vivian is a most charming person, just like Armida the ' bird freak ' with all her books and fanaticism, we often sat together looking to find the name of a species.
Our menu (vegetarian) was unsolicited adjusted and our muddy trousers washed and dried. The guide cut a walking stick when he thought the jungle and the rain was too much for me even without me asking. I will never forget the solitary walks in the morning, mist and dusk along the airstrip: the howler monkeys and birds who greeted me. For someone who keeps macaws in an aviary, seeing them flying free is quite emotional. The trips on the river in the dugout canoe with nice chairs were very exciting, your eyes fall short, only real rainforest right and left.
The exciting evening (Will they come today or not?) when we saw the three ocelots in the back of the resort was a fantastic experience. We also had the pleasure of travelling in a small group of four during the tour.
There is a lovely swimming pool, and even there you see wildlife and many bird species. The main building with a huge porch is very cozy, tastefully and comfortable decorated (always coffee and tea set) and a beautiful place to see the night fall over the Misty Mountain in the evening.
The owners Joyce and Karel flew with us; they are motivated and deserve great admiration for creating something so beautiful. Imagine what a project setting up a resort in the middle of the rainforest, chopping a runway, clearing the forest to build lodges and transport all the materials by air.

Yes, and then after three days came an end (WAY too short) to the highlight of our trip in Suriname. I really wiped away a tear!
Thank you all very much for the best travel experience of my life!

Room Tip: Rooms in main-building are close to start-point of excursions, cabins along the river are like a dre...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Veronica G
There are newer reviews for Kabalebo Nature Resort

Reviewed 1 September 2013

i visited in Mid August and enjoyed continuous sunny conditions.

The flight out to Kabalebo from Paramaribo was in itself, a fabulous experience, as we flew over vast stretches of Broccoli looking Rainforest, for about an hour, before landing in what seemed like, a jungle clearing alongside a slow moving river. The aircraft we flew in was brand new, so it was a comfortable flight and with its large windows, the viewing conditions could not have been better for looking below. The staffs service at the airport was excellent too.

After we arrived at the Kabalebo Resort, we were graciously met by our host Vivian, who from the start, made me feel very relaxed, and I felt, well informed too, on everything to do with the activities, meals, and general information about the Lodge.

Thanks to Jerry, Vivian's assistant, I was soon able, from my first night there, to get a riverside Cabana, which I would highly recommend to anyone visiting the resort.
These three riverside Cabana's are about 1 kilo meter away from the main lodge, and in a place that teams with wildlife, especially Parrots!

I also had an unforgettable Ocelot viewing, thanks to Armida, on my last night there, when i was able to witness, for at least 30 min., an ocelot mother and her cub feeding and playing under a spotlight behind the resorts main lodge.

All of the Meals where delicious and healthy as well.

I had a rather interesting experience with some giant bees, buzzing around my head, while kayaking on the river, which Armida helped me to understand the probable reason for and she is also very knowledgeable about birds, i found too. She is a general wealth of information, actually.

i also very much enjoyed all of the guides there, Terrell, Karina, Giovani, and the others, who where very professional, knowledgeable and friendly to us all.

Kabalebo will keep you occupied with great excursions the entire time that you are with them there and you can even do a night time walk in the surrounding forest if you choose too, as I did. Listen out for the Fer d lance snakes call when you do!

.My package was for four nights and five days and I was very happy that i did it, as it proved to be of tremendous value for what i paid, i thought, and most importantly, to be the most exciting thing that i have ever done in my life !

Thanks for an unforgettable Experience Kabalebo !!

Room Tip: Stay in the riverside cabanas for sure !!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Too bad we had only 2 nights! Our programme did nog allow us to stay longer, so we have to come back one day. Stayed in a 'Cabana' river cabin. It's a beautifull place in the middle of the jungle. It's a mix of being verry remote and still a luxury stay. We have seen lots off wildlife and enjoyed the hospitallity of the personel that has a great mix and feeling of when to be formal or informal.

Room Tip: We stayed at a 'Cabana' . It's verry private, but also remote. A walk to the lodge is mo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wilbert P
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We had a very good time in Kabalebo. If you are litterally in the middle of nowhere organization has to be spotless and there it is!
We travelled with our daughter that is 7, and we always felt safe and relaxed.
Only little minor point is decor.... Even in the middle of the jungle a little effort on style would be appreciated!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Daniela G
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Picture flying over nothing but vegetation for kilometers and descending over the trees onto a grass patch. The resort adjoining it is incredible - particularly given its remoteness. The lodge is comfortable, the food is great and the swimming pool is just decadent! The wildlife viewing was solid - lizards, tortoise, red deer, toucans, macaws, caimans, capybara to name some highlights. The facilities are quite spread out so you can enjoy a piece of nature to yourself. The staff are hugely friendly. This place is well worth a visit - I might even return. For English speakers, you'll find that most of the conversation (of the guides and the other guests) is in Dutch. I don't speak a lick of Dutch and still managed to have a great time - most of the guides spoke some English and made an effort to include me (as a solo traveler), which I really appreciated.

Room Tip: Inspiration point is great - there is no need for AC. It gets cool at night.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Globalist2
Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

We had an amazing time at Kabalebo! This is a really really special place! It is so incredible to fly into such a remote wilderness area. The resort is a great mix of facilities for relaxation and opportunities to enjoy the surrounding jungle. The service around the lodge is excellent and the guides are tremendously experienced, which made me feel very comfortable in an environment that can be very hostile as well as beautiful. We saw and heard howler monkeys, saw many camen, a tapir, many many birds, a turtle, several frogs and crabs. The plants are amazing too. It is incredible how aggressive the plants are here. The different strategies that the plants use to survive is amazing. Some specific plants that I remember are the walking tree, telephone tree, another tree that tiny roots to better anchor itself to the ground. I'd love to go back.

Two wishes: It would be great if the guides knew a bit more about scientific aspects of the plants and animals that they show you. It is understandable that the mist in the early morning prevents you from seeing wildlife in the forest, but early morning boat tours on the river, where mist is not present, may be a great way to see animals at the river before the heat sets in.

The tour agency only told us about 3 day trips, but there is no reason to limit yourself to 3 days. Find out the schedule for plane trips, and make you plans conside with that.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank SMakinen
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I was a little intrepid at being the most remote location of my life but everything was so well organised and planned that it was a charm. Went with 5 business colleagues to chill out for a couple days after spending time in the city Paramaribo. The plane ride from the local airport was with a company called Gum Air which was brilliant, one of our party got to sit next to the Captain, and it seems the whole family are involved in the airline. There is another local airline but some research quickly made us steer away from it. Sadly we only had two days and i would say in the future on a return visit i would add at least one more day. The resort spreads over quite an area and we all stayed in what was called Inspiration point (not sure why) but as you sit on the terrace you can gaze towards what they call misty mountain, maybe that's the inspiration!? Anyhow meal times were fabulous, a mix of local foods from all cultures i especially liked the javanese soup, can't remember the name but loved it. Also the super hot yellow pepper sauce. It was hard to imagine that we were so remote a lot of the time since everything seemed to work like clockwork and the food was so good. The local manager Jerry was very laid back and super friendly and when he took us out fishing we understood why he was so relaxed. he helped us all catch giant fish after giant fish, my friends were catching huge catfish one of 13 pounds and then some big Wolf fish. I caught nothing until the last 5 minutes when Jerry helped me land the catch of the day a 28 pound Wolf fish yeah. The rooms are comfortable with a/c and lovely hot showers again a but of a surprise given the remote location and that everything is flown in as there are no roads and no navigable rivers to the resort. We went to moi moi falls and also upstream where we just sat in the clean fresh water on the first day. Saw lots of different birds and the river trip was like a living zoo - masses of colourful birds, a green tree boa swimming in the river, giant otters, the fish of course and even some iguanas and monkeys in the trees. I think the most nature i ever saw in a morning in all my travels. everything seemed relaxed and natural and Armedia the assistant manager was a wealth of knowldege pointing out the various birds to us (even when she did not see them she knew them by their calls.) Had a quick dip in the pool very refreshing as well. Our little sojourn was over all too soon. Prices seem very reasonable given the flight is an expensive one. Definitely return here when back in Suriname and love to bring my family back. Can't really think of anything i would improve or change, they seem to have worked hard at getting it right over a number of years. The rest of my friends loved the trip as well.

Room Tip: Go for the slightly more expensive rooms at Inspiration point or if you can afford the river front c...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Vanilla_Custard

Been to Kabalebo Nature Resort? Share your experiences!