“A quick visit but we would go back for more!”

Little Gretel Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 110 Restaurants in Boerne
Price range: US$6 - US$35
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Houston, Texas
“A quick visit but we would go back for more!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We just had a quick coffee here but it was very nice. Friendly staff and it was relaxing sitting outside after a walk along the river. Loved the rest rooms, worth a look! Also the shop next door has to be visited.

Visited August 2014

Corpus Christi, Texas
“Will be back”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

After several of the reviews here, we almost didn't stop by. As a matter of fact, we skipped it for dinner the night before because of all the negative feedback, but happened to pass by, hungry, at lunchtime on our way to 1 of the caverns. Mom was craving a Reuben sandwich, so we decided to give it a go after all. We felt a little underdressed to dine inside, & sat outside in spite of the heat to enjoy the view of the park & river across the street, which we did start to regret a little bit by the end of our meal, because it did get increasingly warmer, & the flies were starting to join us. The service was great! Our waiter did a fine job staying on top of things keeping our water glasses full throughout our meal. We didn't have an extensive wait to place or receive our order, even when we added dessert there at the last. Mom & I each chose the reasonably priced 1/2 sandwich plate, I the Monte Cristo, & she the Reuben, then cut them in half & shared with each other to try them both. Since we didn't want the standard fries that came with them, we paid $1 or 2 more to try both the red cabbage & spaetzel. Everything was delicious, especially my Monte Cristo & the sides. I'd never had homemade spaetzel before, only what we can find at our World Market, nor the red cabbage, which was slightly sweet. At first I thought they tasted 'good', but the more I ate of them, the more delicious they seemed to grow! Since we'd only ordered the 1/2 sandwiches, we saved a little bit of room for dessert. Mom's Gretel's Apple Strudel w/Chantilly cream & complementary cinnamon ice cream was really good. I wish I'd had a warning that the dessert I'd picked, Hansel Kisses, were SO incredibly sweet. I'd have opted for something else. It's not that it was bad, just too much sweet for me personally. It was a very pretty dish, meringue cooked to a hard state, filled with a yummy coffee cream, rolled in roasted almonds. Overall, we really enjoyed our visit & would definitely return. Oh, we also thought it was cool that they had their own vegetable & herb garden to harvest from!

1 Thank TerriB1974
San Antonio, Texas
“Charming atmosphere and Great Food”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I learned of Little Gretel on a recent flight home where I met the Chef. I love German food and had high expectations which were definitely met. The beer selection was modest, but had excellent choices in draft. I ordered the duck which was very tasty (and a treat on a Texas menu) and the sides were perfect - the spatzle was the best I've had. The sauerkraut and red cabbage complimented the dish perfectly.
I believe they truly excel at the deserts. The sweet kolaches were very tasty and not overly sweet. The apple strudel was scrumptious and the Gretel cake was a unique treat.
The location is convenient from San Antonio.
I will definitely be back for the schnitzel and wurst.

Houston
“Completely Understaffed”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The chef at Little Gretel is listed among the "Greatest Chefs in America" by fellow chefs. Perhaps she is wonderful, but our meal was mediocre and the service was terrible. The sweet waitress was the ONLY server working at 7pm on a Wednesday evening. We never got our water glasses refilled and my mom had to reorder twice, because they were out of certain dishes. The waitress also corrected me when I correctly pronounced the bruschetta appetizer with a hard "k" instead of a "sh" sound. Seriously? It wasn't that big of a deal, but I knew what she was doing. The entrees ran in the low 20 dollar range and were totally not worth it. I was expecting a great German experience and received an elevated heart rate and lackluster food. Again, the server was super sweet, but was running all over the place. I blame management.

Boerne, Texas
“Nice Place”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have eaten here a few times and overall it has been a good experience. Recently stopped for lunch and since the weather was nice, picked out a table on the patio under an umbrella. There is a little noise from the traffic but not so much that you can't carry on a conversation. I ordered the Roast Pork Lunch Special. My server (Michelle) was friendly and provided excellent service. The roast pork appeared to have been sliced from a pork loin and was fall apart tender, moist and flavorful. The gravy was very tasty. Served with in-house made sauerkraut and German dumpling bread, the sauerkraut is excellent. I would just suggest a little bit larger portion of kraut.
A pleasant dining experience. Not cheap, but this is not cheap food.

• Visited July 2014

Been to Little Gretel Restaurant? Share your experiences!