“Great Patio... & not much else”
Review of Mi Casa Tamales

Mi Casa Tamales
Ranked #49 of 113 Restaurants in Boerne
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

The food is pretty much horrible for Mexican in San Antonio. If you go get the tamales- it's the only decent thing to eat on the menu that we've had. Stick with the beer, the margaritas are horrible! It's probably the first time I didn't finish my Rita. The chips and queso are good so if you're going to watch a band or want a fun patio where the kids can run and play, it's your best bet-- stick with the tamale trio with the queso & avacado salsa.

3  Thank TXCottageMama

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We went to hear a band we liked and knew we were going to sit outside so we were ready for that. band was over 2 hours late, food was so so, but the service was the worst we have ever encountered. If you are sitting in outside on the lawn you can't order food from the restraunt only the 2 or 3 shacks they have scattered around that only serve a limited menu. The kick in the nuts(literally) was that my wife and teenage daughter were not to use the inside restroom because they purposely locked it so everyone had to use the smelly porta cans. GHETTO!

4  Thank ColdTamale
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We decided to try Mi Casa Tamales and were immediately excited by the scenery, the amenities, and the overall environment. This was our first visit, so I inquired about the seating with a member of the wait staff. A waitress instructed us to sit wherever we like and stated that someone would be with us shortly.

About ten minutes or so passed and no one came to our table. Although Mi Casa was busy, it was not packed. There were empty tables, about three wait staff, a bar tender and a manager. Assuming that we would be attended to shortly, we decided to ask for a menu from the bar tender to browse while we were waiting. Soon after, I noticed that another group of patrons sat at table across from us. I was surprised to see that a few minutes after the group sat, they were attended to by them same waitress who instructed us to see anywhere we like. The waitress provided full service to the newly seated group and still paid us no attention.

About 20 to 25 minutes had passed, so we got up to inquire about speaking with the manager. While waiting for the manager to speak with us, the waitress set her tray on the newly abandoned table to attend to others; she did not even acknowledge that there was now an empty table. Finally, the manger came and I explained the situation to him. His only response was that “he hoped we would visit them again.” He did not offer to seat us and ensure that we received immediate service. The whole event made us feel very awkward and unwelcomed. I can say without a doubt that I won’t be visiting again.

2  Thank A L
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I have tried Delicious, Goas, Adelita's, Tellez, Olgitas, Ruben's and numerous other tamales in San Antonio. I have tried them in the 5 gallon drums to singles at restaurants. I have had some of them with way too much lard in the masa to others with meat filler of unidentifiable parts that get bigger the more you chew them. I have had many with way too much masa to filler ratio.

The tamales here are my hands-down favorites. You think they are a little expensive at around $11 a dozen for the plain pork, but these "hog legs" are extra large and they do not skimp on the meat filling. You will know that the minute you pick up the weighty bag at purchase time. Sold hot or cold. Call in advance to order your favorite.

This place does a whopping business during the appropriate holidays as they will set up a tent outside and issue numbers for those that placed orders inside the tiny restaurant.

Have not tried much else, but I can surely recommend the pork and chicken jalapeno tamales. Que Yummer!

Reviewed 15 August 2012

Good food and a nice change of pace from the usual Mexican fare. I would recommend the tamales and my girls loved the Big Red floats!