“A Fantastic Resort with a Catch”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Blancaneaux Lodge

Blancaneaux Lodge
Boston, Massachusetts
“A Fantastic Resort with a Catch”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife and I just returned from Belize splitting the time between Blancaneaux Lodge and Las Terrazas on Ambergris Caye.
Blancaneaux is a beautiful resort set in a remote location along the Privacion River. The accommodations were rustic luxury, extremely clean and comfortable. Our villa had a beautiful view of a small waterfall in the river that runs along the resort.
The fantastic - the food in the Italian inspired restaurant was excellent. A big highlight was the roasted vegetable panini for lunch prepared with vegetables grown in the resorts own organic garden. Pizza, pastas, and more local food are all outstanding choices. We were not huge fans of the Guatemalan restaurant but it was a nice change of pace one night.
We did take several excursions from lodge:
Tikal (because as a previous reviewer had mentioned the bridge to Caracol was flooded out) - which was a full day trip into Guatemala. This trip was well worth it to explore in depth the Mayan culture and to visit ruins that are hundreds and some a thousand years old. The site is located in the jungle so there is the opportunity to spot some wildlife as well. We saw: Aracaris, monkeys, gray fox, wild turkeys among others.
Big Rock Falls - this is a waterfall that is located down river from the lodge. It is a relatively strenuous hike along a maintained path, or an easier trek by foot or bike on the road. We chose the hiking path and were well rewarded. The falls themselves are great and we had a swimming hole underneath all to ourselves.
Night hike and nature trip with Ronne the on site conservationist - Blancaneaux participates in several conservation efforts. They are one of the few (if not the only) resort with a full time conservationist on staff. We went on a night hike and a half day trip with Ronne who was fabulous. We were able to spot hawks, falcons, a myriad of other indigenous and migratory birds. It was also an opportunity to explore a pine mountain forest which is really a unique ecosystem.
Unfortunately, some of the other trips were called off due to the flooding and passabilty of roads and bridges.
This leads me to a discussion of "the catch." My wife and I have had the opportunity to travel quite a bit over the years including nature trips to Costa Rica, Ecuador, Africa, Alaska etc. I fully understand the unpredictability of weather, nature, and wildlife spotting. So, the following comments does not pertain to these natural events but rather Blancaneaux's staffs response and communication.
The day before we arrived floods (first time ever - in over 30 years) destroyed the resorts hydro-electric power plant and flooded many of the roads and bridges (including to Caracol and virtually all of the cave systems). A generator was delivered and for the most part provided the needed electricity.
But, the problem was how the resort and particularly the front desk staff communicated with us about the current conditions, future possibilities and options. We were greeted immediately upon check in with an option to transfer to Blancaneaux's sister property Turtle Inn. This was a nice gesture but unfortunately way to late, as we just spent three hours in a car getting to the resort and were not about to waste another 4 hours transferring to Turtle Inn. We should have been appraised of the situation when we were picked up at the airport.
From then on, all we got was ambiguous talk about when the generators would be online, circumlocution about when excursions may or may not be possible. The front desk despite REPEATED attempts for information refused to provide anything of value. We had to take it upon ourselves to force out the information and to figure out what are excursion options would be. It took way to long to figure out that Tikal would be a suitable option and replacement for Caracol. The front desk kept saying that maybe we would be able to visit caves during our stay, but the reality was that there was no hope of this during our few days there.
Unfortunately, our communication with the front desk staff was marred by their passive aggressive nature and general failure to provide accurate information and to go out of their way to offer suggestions and alternatives. We were left to pull this out on our own.
While I would absolutely recommend the resort to others based on the resort itself, the outstanding restaurant, beautiful location, multitude of excursion options, I would hope this can be a learning experience for the staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jssquared

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My husband and I began our anniversary celebration at Blancaneaux Lodge - it is a wonderful place - in the mountains along a river - a beautiful setting in Belize. Unfortunately some areas of the lodge experienced flooding as did other attractions due to heavy rainfall, but the staff and the management were great. We took a great trip to Tikal in Guatemala (unfortunately Caracol was out due to the rain). Good food and wine. I would recommend Blancaneaux.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights the bungalows are basic but very nice. It was extremely hot when we were there so be prepared. The staff was very nice I thought the food was excellent and there were a lot of great activities. Also, lounging in the river that goes right by the resort is a lot of fun and I would highly recommend on a hot day. Great experience

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JaK_travels7
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for half of our honeymoon after spending a few days in San Pedro. Blancaneaux is a very classy outpost in the middle of the pine forest, in the middle of the jungle. We had a wonderful stay during the slow season, so the lodge was quiet with just a few other guests. The food was outstanding. Every meal we had was beyond delicious. The main restaurant there is Italian cuisine, but they always have a few local dishes to choose from also. We stuck to the local cuisine most of the time, but we had gnocchi for dinner one night, that could only be rivaled by gnocchi I had in Siena, Italy (and I used to live in Italy). The Guatemalan restaurant is also very yummy. We spent our time at Blancaneaux with a variety of activities and laziness. We had massages one day at the spa, probably the best either of us has had in our lives, and I've had lots of massages. We hiked to Big Rock Falls, which was beautiful. The hike was a bit strenuous, but we are city people and were able to get down to the falls just fine :) We did a guided tour to ATM cave and Caracol, bot terrific. Blancaneaux guides are outstanding, eager to share their knowledge and very friendly. Roads in and out of the pine forest are rough, especially in the rainy season, but they are unavoidable whether you arrive by plane or car (unless you arrive by chartered flight directly to the Blancaneaux airstrip, and even then you have to face the roads if you plan to leave the resort for any reason) They really are not THAT bad. I would definitely recommend the ATM cave if you are not accompanied by young children and if you are able to climb hike a distance. We slept very well after our visit to ATM, but it was probably our most memorable experience from this vacation.
We stayed in Casita 11, and then in the Enchanted Cottage, and although the enchanted cottage is more private and there is no need to leave since you have full butler service, we thought the casita was gorgeous and wouldn't pay extra for the enchanted cottage if we were going to do it again. We're pretty low maintenance people, plus we LOVED the outdoor shower at the casita and the cottage doesn't have an outdoor shower.

Room Tip: We stayed in Casita 11, and then in the Enchanted Cottage, and although the enchanted cottage is mor...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amy T
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stayed 3 night s at Blancaneaux and really enjoyed our stay! Would define the experience as rustic, elegance. Staff is excellent and understand the importance of good service! Food is very good, enloyed the Guatemalan restaurant. The lunches they packed for our tours were very good, nice touch were the table linens - charming.

And the best part were the tours....Caracol is really amazing! Our guide was one of the best guides I have ever had - really into the experience and educating our group about the Mayan Ruins and the life of their culture. Also loved the Barton Creek Cave tour....amazing!

A couple of people have complained about spiders, "animals", etc. in the rooms.....please remember you are in a sub tropical - pine ridge forest area. Twice I had a gecko jump on me when I entered the bathroom, we couldn't stop laughing.......adds to the experience.

Only reservation is that once at the resort, you pretty much have to stay at the resort. The dirt road leading up to the resort is full of pot holes....not easy to navigate. This also means you are paying a pretty penny while you are at Blancaneaux. But I guess the old adage "you pay for what you get" applies. Will visit Blancaneaux again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dld8
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My wife and I were able to spend 5 nights at this lodge and we could've done another 10-15 nights!!!! The property is absolutely spectacular!!!!! The entire staff ( Johnny, Peter, Edmond, Heidi, Penny and many more!!!) took great care of us and were all very informative of the property and surroundings. Our massuse was second to none!!!! The food is Fantasic!!!! Organic garden on property, how can you go wrong? We will be back!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gus m
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed in cabana number 11- which was absolutely beautiful- the private plunge pool was amazing and much larger than the photos depict! I would recommend, if you have the choice, to select cabana number 12- their plunge pool had a better view of the rainforest as it's set a bit higher than number 11(we were able to see on the internet). Although the car ride was quite long and bumpy from Belize City Airport, our driver was very knowledgable and was able to answer all our questions about Belize on the way. Upon arrival, we were warmly welcomed/greeted with drinks and felt instantly at home. Stick with the local cuisine- the ceviche was amazing and we had it almost every meal! The staff was incredible and super attentive. They asked us almost nightly if we wanted to book excursions for the next day, but never in a pushy way. We were encouraged to take a walk around the property and explore the garden/stables. We did finally tear ourselves away from our private pool- which I have to warn- is very hard to do. The shell phone makes it too easy to enjoy the room/surroundings!!! The organic garden is not to be missed nor is the stable. The garden is lush and someone was there to take us around to explain the crops while encouraging us to try fresh vegetables- neither my husband or I ever had a raw tomatillo- it was absolutely incredible! We then walked up to the stables and saw the beautiful horses! You could tell that the stable was immaculately well cared for. We got to pet many horses and again, the staff was very knowledgable. We booked a sunrise horseback ride for the next morning. Our guide, I believe his name was Carlos, was AMAZING! The ride is rough so it's not for the faint at heart but Carlos was always very calm and the horses never stepped out of line. It was an awesome thing to do and I highly recommend! We were back at the resort by 8:30 so had plently of time to have breakfast and sun at our pool. I would also recommend getting a massage- I was a bit weary at first coming from NY and having great massages- this was definitely up there in the most relaxing setting and skilled masseurs. I could go on forever, but all in all- this was one of my best resorts I have ever visited. One last tip- if you are staying at both Blancaneaux and Turtle Inn- forego the car ride to the beach and splurge on the plane. It's more expensive but well worth it. It was one of the most memorable things we did!!! We will be back for sure!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Cristo Rey
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
#1 of 1 in San Antonio

Been to Blancaneaux Lodge? Share your experiences!