“FANTASTIC!!! ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! Exceeded our expectations!”
Review of Blancaneaux Lodge

Blancaneaux Lodge
Reviewed 6 June 2010

We spent 5 nights in Blancaneaux as part of our honeymoon, and spent the second half on the coast. We were BLOWN AWAY!!!

Let's start with the SERVICE. Impeccable!!! Simply impeccable! From service at the restaurant to service in the rooms, to just general help - everyone was always all about helping, and at the same time, know when to leave us alone! Somebody always kept an eye out for when we did breakfast or dinner, and by the time we returned from our meal, the room was cleaned. Never an annoying "housekeeping" knock. I am a vegetarian, and they went out of their way to accommodate me in their Guatemalan restaurant (their regular Italian one has lots of veg choices as is). The grounds are maintained to perfection, and someone from afar always watches out to see if you may need anything (e.g. if you go an sit by the pool, even on a cool day when no one seems to be there). Finally, a super nice touch, they knew it was our honeymoon, and gave us two free massages!!!!! I'd like to mention Bernard, the manager, by name - always there and ready to help!! And we never carried any bags anywhere past the entrance of the premises - which was great :)

Food: Superb! The Italian food was truly of Italian quality! The Guatemalan was fantastic. And as I said, that place makes it easy to be a vegetarian!!! A lot of the food is grown on premises, and it tastes that way - SO fresh and flavorful! And those coconut sweets in the room - yum!!!

Room: Wonderful!!! We had cabana #7, that happened to be close enough to the main building, that we actually got wi-fi signal there, in case you care. Felt private and beautiful and we LOVED the no windows thing (although on colder days the after shower bit was a bit cold), had a hammock added (there isn't normally one in that cabana, but they'll put one in for you if you want), and really we saw little reason to ever leave it... Just delightful!

Excursions: We didn't do much, but Caracol was great and totally worth it, as well as a trip to San Ignacio. We didn't get the package, because we didn't want to commit to anything, and that turned out to be a very wise choice for us.

Overall, GO GO GO!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 May 2010

This was an absolutely beautiful location that overlooked the river in the pine reserve. The service was great - everyone called you by name after having met only once and seemed generally interested in how you were doing and wanting to make your stay as perfect as possible. The food was terrific, and much of it is raised in the organic garden onsite. I thought we might get tired of the food, but there is a good amount of variety. We took trips with excellent guides to the Barton Creek cave, the Mayan ruins at Caracol, and did a horseback ride in the rainforest. It is extremely quiet with no phones or TVs - the only connection to the outside for us was WiFi through their Satellite link and that wasn't particularly reliable.

This is quite a ways from the Belize airport - and the last hour is on a dirt road, so be prepared for the 3 hour trip. Of course they provided water and cookies!

It can also be very warm, though it does typically cool down at night. There is no air conditioning, but there are fans in the rooms that help keep the air moving.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ConnieSeattle
Reviewed 9 April 2010

When my wife told me we were going to a resort with no air conditioners in any room or restaurant, I went with her dragging me by my feet. I had never done such a vacation (though she is a Sun Goddess). We spent three days at Coppola's Turtle Inn in Placensia (which was wonderful in itself--terrific restaurant, villa, service) and then made the horribly bumpy drive (3 hours) to Blancaneaux. Once you enter the resort, you feel like you have entered Eden! Everyone was so helpful and friendly and within a matter of a day or two knew every member of our extended family by first name. We were initially put up in a treetop villa but we did not feel comfortable having two babies up there without full screening around all exposures (which they had in Turtle Inn). The front desk accommodated us even though they were quite booked. The weather was in the 90s but the pool was always refreshing and we were well serviced there. I took the trip to Tikal in Guatamala and that was worth the entire vacation. Both restaurants at Blancaneaux were fabulous and on the Friday we were there, the Lodge decided to have an outdoor buffet celebration with strolling minstrals. Delightful! The stables are wonderfully managed by Marjie who can give you great stories. The vegetable garden is sprawling. The Thai masseuse was very professional offering oil and Thai massage therapy (ahhhhhh). Walks along the river and the waterfall were beautiful. Diego cut us down some coconuts for my two year old and we drank coconut milk for the first time out of the coconut itself. The rooms were always clean and the refrigerator was always replenished. Room service was always timely and friendly. One day we decided to do a trip into San Ignacio and the staff arranged for Gilberto to take my wife shopping locally while dropping me and the girls off at a park (the resort does not cater to children other than the lovely pool). He was quite the guide. All the guests seemed happy and that made for lots of conversations and meeting new friends. Oh, yes, when I went into Tikal leaving the girls with my wife, the Lodge was able to secure us a full-day babysitter whom my wife fell in love with and trusted. The Lodge has adequate wi-fi which perhaps does not reach all Villas but the main office has accessible internet access free of charge.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank bennyharmeter
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I was second guessing my hotel choice on the bumpy road to Blancaneaux, but never had a second thought once we arrived. It was beautiful, serene and lush. We booked the Honeymoon suite (room 12) and it was complete luxury. The bed was very comfortable, and the screened in porch was lovely for both evening and morning relaxation while listening to the bird calls. It was warm (88*) and humid, so we were glad to have the private plunge pool outside our room. The outdoor shower was lovely and romantic- we took lots of photos so we can build one like it someday!
Make sure and reserve a dinner at the Guatemalan restaurant, the food was fabulous.
This hotel is NOT suitable for anyone who isn't fit enough to walk up stairs (a lot of stairs). You can't get anywhere without breaking a sweat- but we laughed about working off our dinner and dessert calories....so it worked for us.
The spa is LOVELY- right next to the waterfall. It takes just one person (or a couple) at a time, so you really feel pampered.
Don't miss this hotel- it's amazing, and worth the money to get a nice room.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2010

I saw some negative reviews of this place on here, so I felt compelled to give my opinion and let those who are on the fence of to go or not to go can make the right decision. First of all let me say the food was absolutely amazing. All very fresh and very well done. Having only one restaurant might seem like it would get boring, but I will tell you the fresh food never gets boring. All the vegetables and fruit and even eggs come right from their farm. It is simply amazing. I have never tasted such delicious salads! We were upgraded to the Francis Ford Coppola's villa and it was stunning.
The only negative was the ride to the resort. It is an extremely bumpy ride, but not bad enough to steer you away from this beautiful place. Please enjoy!! It is such a special place!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank polar78
Reviewed 16 March 2010

We stayed 3 nights here - with our family in a 2 bedroom villa. Let me say - absolutely - we had a great time - and will and do recommend this property.

Very large accomodations.

There are a few important things to know and a few general comments about it.

It is remote - and I mean - REMOTE. It is 2.5 hours drive from Belize City. This is not a drive I would even consider making myself - as I am 100% sure I would get lost. The last chunk of the drive is on dirt, rut filled roads which make a SUV a requirement. They do offer a way to fly to the airstrip next to the hotel. That is honestly a strip of dirt. No way am I doing that.

The remoteness of it - though - is part of what makes it great. You pretty much here no noise but the birds and the running water in the river/stream below.

The staff is absolutely outstanding. They make a point of knowing you and your family. They take great care. Everyone on the property and all of our guides where truly world-class. They all are full of great information about the property, about the country and about the sites to see.

Tours are a must. Barton Creek and Caracol are absolutely worth it. Horseback riding is great - and my kids loved all 3 activities we did.

It can get COLD at night. We were there in early March - and 2 of the nights it was cold. The villa has no heat, no A/C and no glass windows. It is screened in - so you are very close the the weather outside.

The birds will wake you up EARLY. If you are a light sleeper - you will be up at the crack of dawn.

We were definitely warned of bugs - and truthfully it wasn't a big bother at the property.

The 'Hot Tub' should be named 'Warm Tub'. It is not that hot.

The rooms are not well lit. I don't know if it is about eco-friendly and using less energy or they just don't believe in a lot of light.

You will only eat at the hotel. There really is nothing else around. The menu is somewhat limited. The pizza was great. Mixed reviews on some of the other items.

No Tennis, No Gym, Didn't try the spa.

Again - great place. Worth the trip. Just know what you are going to do/and see on the way in.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank FrequentFlyerNJ
Reviewed 17 February 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights on our honeymoon - we stayed in several amazing hotels (both in Guatemala and on the Belize coast) but just keep coming back in our minds to this place as the best. It is just incredible! Our view is probably slightly biased as we stayed in one of the luxury cabanas (number 12, on the end). We had previously booked 1 night in the luxury cabana and 2 nights in a riverfront cabana, but once we had seen the luxury one there was no way we could have moved. If you're on your honeymoon they BOOK CABANA 12!!! You will never stay anywhere else so perfect. We have travelled widely and stayed in lots of great places but this place beats them all in terms of the room. The cabana is huge with an indoor bathroom as well as an outdoor walled garden with a shower in it. The private deck has 2 sun loungers and we were kept stocked with a fresh supply of pool towels. As cabana 12 is on the end it is totally private. From your deck all you can see for miles is the forest - total serene bliss. We went on a sunset horse ride and also to Barton Creek caves which were both great, but to be honest you don't even need to do lots of trips and spend lots of money. Just relax and enjoy the place and walk to Big Rock Falls for an adventurous swim, chill out in the large hot pool, sit by the pool. Just walking around the whole of Blancanauex and seeing the gardens, looking at the horses (immaculately stabled) etc can take a few hours. The food is pretty expensive but its very good - my favourite was the homemade spicy sauasage patties for breakfast. The massage area down by the pool was goregous and relaxing - book as soon as you arrive as it is very popular and dos get booked up. All in all, we wholeheartedly recommend this place. It is one of the very few times you will think wow, it was really worth spending all that money!!! Worth every penny. As a tip, if you think you will get hungry between meals take some cereal bars or something with you. Also keep your plastic water bottles as you can fill up on filtered water in the restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Cristo Rey
Gaia Riverlodge
Gaia Riverlodge
#3 of 3 in Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve

Been to Blancaneaux Lodge? Share your experiences!