“Absolutely Unforgettable!!”

Hidden Valley Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 September 2012

To the owner's of Hidden Valley Inn:

Thank you so much for investing in this property and making it available to people like Ashley and I to enjoy. We just absolutely loved it!

To the owner's: the staff that you have working for you did an excellent job! Very personal and professional and they just did an absolutely awesome job! Misael was extremely polite and kind and helpful. He assisted us with any and all questions that we had. He was fun and upbeat and just took great care of us!

And we have to give amazing PROPS to the chef and sous chef. One of the unexpected and amazing delights about Hidden Valley was the incredible food. A unique menu was provided each day and all of the offerings were 5 star meals! We live in Charleston, SC where the culinary experience is always top notch and his cooking skills reminded us of the amazing talent in our city!

The bar staff, the wait staff and everyone were great. We loved the pool and the hot tub and really enjoyed the atmosphere.

The highlight of the trip without a doubt was the amazing terrain offered by the property. Everyday we either hiked or road bikes to a new exciting and amazing part of the landscape. The waterfalls were so exhilarating. The hiking was vigorous and challenging and the plants and trees and birds and wildlife were all just awesome.

Hidden Valley was an incredible surprise in terms of all that it offered. We were excited to spend time in the mainland but we just weren't prepared for the all the beauty, great food, and excellent service. It was the delight of our entire stay in Belize.

Thank you again to the owner's and staff at Hidden Valley for an awesome trip. We just loved it and hope to return some day.

Bryan and Ashley

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
GMHVI, General Manager at Hidden Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

Dear Bryan and Ashley

Words cannot express our gratitude for the wonderful review of our People and Property at Hidden Valley Inn.
We wish you all the best and hope to see you return some day.

Regards

Reviewed 3 September 2012

Hidden Valley Inn is truly a jewel in the jungle. My recent stay here was great and very accommodating in all ways shape or form. I am a bit on the rugged side and enjoy a challenging hike where as my girlfriend prefers things on the easier side. Staying at HVI (Hidden Valley Inn) was very rewarding because it offered so many activities and things to do. HIV's property was pretty large and had a great assortment of cool Eco-tourism projects for us to check out. Butterfly Falls is one of their falls near by and i must say that it is one of the most beautiful waterfalls i have ever seen with probably some of the coolest refreshing water in Belize.

The staff was very helpful and well informed about where to go, what to do, and when the best times were to be out and about on the trails. we felt very safe here and never once felt like we were too out of touch and UN-cared for. I should also mention that the food was awesome! very fresh and very clean with great flavors. in the evening we retired to a great, fully supplied personal cottage/Room with all of the amenities from home where we had a nice fire and a great romantic setting.

There is so much that I am leaving out but i cant spoil it all for you. HVI is a must see must stay jewel in the MT. Pine Ridge area. I am sure ill be back. thanks guys!

Room Tip: Ask to see a room first, you cant go wrong with any one

Dear lyvewyrez

Reviews like yours, are the reason we keep striving for excellence.
Warm Regards

Reviewed 2 September 2012

The drive from BZE is airport to Hidden Valley is 2.5-3 hours and over an hour of this is dirt road with bumps along the way. This is the first indication of heading to a very secluded resort area! There is a option to fly into Hidden Valley Inn's private airstrip, then only a 15 minute drive to the Inn- but then you miss out on driving through diverse communities, seeing Belize agriculture and learning about the area. Rick, my driver, was wonderful to talk to during the drive and I learned about Belize farming, immigration, laws, and family life for people of Belize.
Arriving to the Inn releases my body from the long travel day and immediately Arleni and Raul greet me. There were others checking in upon my arrival so Arleni offered me a short, relaxing tour and iced lemongrass tea while we had a conversation. She then escorted me to my room where my luggage was waiting for me. The cottages are very lovely and it's amenities help to make the resort luxurious. For guest's pleasure is a closet with hangers, shelves, drawers, umbrellas, a safe big enough for laptops, bathrobe and luggage rack. The bed is a queen size, two lounge chairs, desk, phone, a fireplace and the tile floor feels nice on the feet. Comfortable bed with plenty of pillows. My cottage is number three (out of twelve), or named Hummingbird. All the cottages are named after birds as bird watching draws some of the resort's guests. The bathroom has all the nice items so don't worry about packing your shampoo, conditioner and body washes. They also have lotion and Avon's Skin So Soft to use, which deters the little black fly bites. I was told they do not have mosquitoes but the little black flies will leave their mark on you all the same. I've already enjoyed the bathtub and shower has fine pressure for hair washing. Daily housekeeping and turn down service, water and homemade cookies are jarred in the room to remind us this quaint little inn is at luxury standards. All the water is from a local spring and UV treated so it's delicious and safe to drink even from the tap. There is complimentary wifi throughout the main house and cottages. I'll probably have a single article dedicated to the cuisine as it's top notch and they cater to any dietary needs. The staff is truly here to serve the guests and they are utterly genuine. Everyone is so friendly I already know most everyone's name. They are never short staffed and no one seems to mind the days with little occupancy. It's relaxing to rest poolside and offer my on site report. I have another week and I really look forward to continuing my first Belize experience here.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Dear heart_caribbean

Thank you for the detailed and pleasant review of our little Inn on the Mountain Pine Ridge.
We hope you will return some day and find the same or better amenities and service.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

My wife and I just got back from our Honeymoon stay at Hidden Valley and we had the most amazing time.

First and foremost, the level of service was unmatched. Every member of the staff was friendly and helpful. Everyone knew our names on day one and it made us feel right at home. Misael was an excellent host, both before we arrived (over email) and once we were checked in. He checked on us a few times each day to make sure we were having a great time. We were taken from and to the airport by one of Hidden Valleys guides, Oscar. While we didn't get the chance to have him lead us on one of the many adventures offered, he was great company for the 2 hour drive from/to the airport. He even showed us around and took us shopping in San Ignacio before our departing flight. When we toured the Mayan ruins @ Caracol we had Rick as a guide and again we had a great time! (Are you noticing a pattern?) Rick was very friendly and informative, it was neat to talk to him about the significance of the ruins to his country and culture (he's part Maya). Back at the resort we were greeted at each meal by Ophelia, Ella, or Adma; always with a smile. It became an important part of our day to catch up with them and we were soon sharing stories about our families and personal histories. Alex and Tito at the bar know how to pour a mean drink, and were both very nice to talk to as well. Alex the cook came out on a number of occasions to introduce himself and make sure we were satisfied with the meals. We were very pleased with both his preparation and the food quality. It took the whole week for us to get through trying everything on the menu. Throughout the week we also met the management staff (Raoul, Amon) who were eager to hear how we were getting along and wanted to know what could be done to make our stay more enjoyable (suffice to say there was little to change). Finally, the housekeeping staff were like ninjas, quickly tidying our rooms while we were at lunch or on a hike. It was surprising at first, but we came to expect that the bed would be newly made while we were at breakfast (not always, but this was often the case).

Back to the resort itself, lets be clear, this place is secluded! To get back to San Ignacio is a +45min ride over a VERY bumpy road. We're told this road will be paved over the next few years, which can't come soon enough. The roads around the resort are much better however. This place is a hikers paradise. My wife and I aren't much for hiking, so we explored probably %5 of what's possible, but it was clear to us what a special place this is. The resort lies at the top of a mountain/hill, at approx 2000 ft above sea level. This means all your hikes begin by heading down (and end heading up). If you do not wish to hike all the way to each waterfall (they have MANY, all very beautiful), then the staff can drive you wherever you'd like for a small fee. Mind you, after being dropped off there is often a +30min hike ahead of you to get to the falls. We found this combination perfect, especially because a swim is so refreshing after a decent hike.

We spent one whole day at our own private waterfall with a champagne lunch. This was one of the highlights of the whole trip. While my wife relaxed in the hammock, I swam around the base of the waterfall. It was perfect.

The resort grounds were beautiful and well maintained. There's a modest swimming pool and hot tub. There are a few yoga platforms located around the property and my wife convinced me to try a few morning yoga sessions with the visiting yoga instructor. It was a fun thing to do as a couple. I wasn't much bothered by bugs, but they seemed to find my wife to be especially attractive. By midweek her back had a few dozen bright red bites. These were from "no-see-ums" which you're likely familiar with. They can itch like mosquito bites, but you don't have to worry about malaria. Some of them can fit through the window screens in the cottages so we did have an issue one night when the room filled with them. Like I said, they weren't really an issue with me (we both used 98% DEET spray) so it seems to be different for each person.

In summary, the scenery was beautiful, the food was delicious, and the service was exceptional. We're very thankful for the memories we now have!

Room Tip: Only 12 rooms, they're all good!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
GMHVI, General Manager at Hidden Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Dear Jon_and_Becki

Thank you for the detailed and beautiful review of Hidden Valley Inn, we are proud of our staff and know without them we will never have this “Secluded Paradise”.

Our “People” are important to the operation and we strive to ensure all Guests are treated like royalty.
We hope in the near future the road will be paved and it will reduce the stress of travelling up the mountain.
As for the bugs ("no-see-ums"); we are in the wilderness and this is their home, we can only do what is necessary, whilst trying to maintain this fragile eco-system.

Thank you once again and hope we will see back at Hidden valley Inn in the near future.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

Hidden Valley Inn was located in the Pine Ridge Mountains, and was the least favorite part of our travels in Belize. As soon as we arrived at Hidden Valley it felt more awkward than the other resorts we stayed at. Things were more confusing then they should have been. Such as: maps of the property, getting questions answered, and the menu for meals. We found the front desk/concierge unhelpful when we would go ask questions. We realized we had to very direct, otherwise we were given ambiguous responses.

The highlight: We rented the private waterfall for a day. We did not know what to expect, but they did a great job of setting up a romantic meal with champagne. The food was delicious.
The food throughout our stay was also great, though they did have a very confusing menu with odd options.
The assistant manager provided us with a free guide for half a day when he heard we were unhappy with our experience. He was the most professional and helpful individual we dealt with.

The low:
The staff's awkwardness, the confusion, and the quality of the rooms. Our room constantly smelled like mold, no matter how many windows and fans we turned on.

Overall, we felt that this Inn had little to do. Yes, you can go to waterfalls and hike the property. The map does not tell you how spread out the property actually is and we normally had to ask (and pay for) rides to or from the hike locations. How to ask for rides is my using walkie talkies, which are fuzzy and you don't actually know if someone is coming to pick you up.

You can also leave the property to go on day trip excursions. However, we had already done this in our earlier travels so we felt that the resort had little to offer. Also, due to the fact that the front desk was not helpful, we were unable to put together itineraries for the day that were full and exciting. If you do take day excursions from Hidden Valley, be prepared for long travel days, as it is down a long unpaved road.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lizzy H

Dear Lizzy H
We are sad to hear that you did not have a pleasant stay in the Mountain Pine Ridge, Belize.
Hidden Valley Inn is located in this remote wilderness and our roads are not paved so travelling is long and can be hard on visitors.

We appreciate your review of our services and facilities. Without positive feedback such as yours, we will never develop and improve our product.

We regret that you did not enjoy your stay in the Mountain Pine Ridge and Hidden Valley Inn; we will endeavour to amend all the issues you have raised to ensure that future visitors/guests like yourselves will not have the same experience.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Words cannot describe the level of professionalism and personalized service you get at Hidden Valley Inn. They provided top notch service with a smile on their face and anything you wanted they made happen. The property itself is breathtaking the waterfalls and property tour is a must our guide was incredible and shared a lot of knowledge.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Maureen D

Dear Maureen D

Words can not describe the pleasure of reading your review, we are grateful for your visit and hope you will return some day.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Great food, people, trails. Rick our guide got me hooked on birding. He was awesome. Butterfly falls and private waterfall day is a must. Caracol, Barton creek and secret pools all great. Non touristy and remote. We paired with a few days diving in placencia and it was a great combo. Don't go in peak summer, very hot.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear 91528

We love your review: "short and sweet" We hope you will return someday.

Regards

#1 of 1 in Cristo Rey
The Lodge at Chaa Creek
The Lodge at Chaa Creek
#5 of 14 in San Ignacio

Been to Hidden Valley Inn? Share your experiences!