“Amazing Time” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hidden Valley Inn
Spokane, Washington
“Amazing Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

This review is a little overdue, but my husband and I visited Hidden Valley for 4 nights February 2011 for our honeymoon, and combined it with 4 nights on Ambergris Caye. The ride in was very bumpy, as the road isn't really paved, would recommend taking the charter flight next time from Belize City, as it's only about 20 minutes. We were there during a large spout of forest fires, so that was a little scary as our room was filled with smoke at night, and the entire property had falling ash on it. HOWEVER, the staff took every extra step to inform us and make us feel comfortable despite the circumstances. We hiked to Butterfly Falls during a rainstorm (way better then in the sunshine), rented the waterfall for a day and they had all of the food ready for us down there, including the champagne of course. We did the Barton Cave Tour and the Caracal ruins tour. My husband was definitely along for the ride on those, but the experiences were amazing! Bring TONS of bug spray, as on those excursions I looked like I had chicken pox afterward. We also did the rio falls trip - that was fabulous as you just got to swim around in all of the pools and play in the waterfalls, and stopped in at The Francis Ford Coppola Lodge (we're big winos so that was a neat experience), for a drink. We brought our own wine from the states for dinner as the selection was a bit limited, however the food was excellent, and the chef very personable! If we ever make our way back to Belize, we will be back to Hidden Valley.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the suites with the outside shower. It is SO worth it!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

This inn has a beautiful network of trails that isn’t really advertised to the public. It was hardly mentioned in our guide book. Hearing that the inn was strict about trespassers, we went with low expectations, not anticipating being allowed on the trails. We ended up speaking with a very nice staff member who charged us $20USD each, I think, gave us a map and a walkie talkie (to be returned after we were done) and suggested some of the more beautiful/scenic parts of the jungle.

We ended up spending the better part of the day there and had a fantastic time. We ate lunch on an overlook to a waterfall (Tiger Creek Falls Lookouts), then continued driving to a section of the trails that feature a few small waterfalls and pools (the Secret Pools, Clear Creek and Cascade trails). We swam, hiked and took pictures, spending several hours on the property and hardly covering a fraction of the total available hiking territory.

There were even some places we wanted to see, but we didn’t have enough time, including the macadamia fields and coffee banana section.

Though $20pp is a bit steep for a hike, this was money and time well spent in the Cayo. We hardly saw anyone else during our time on the trails. It felt very secluded and natural. Bring a lunch, bathing suit, sunscreen and bug spray and make a morning or afternoon out of it. I think as long as you’re polite and respectful, you will be allowed to hike on the trails.

1 Thank mmHg
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

I stayed at Hidden Valley for three nights, together with a group of birdwatchers. It was my favourite place in Belize - which is one of the best destinations I have ever visited. The accommodation and food was superb and the staff very friendly and helpful. One night when the weather had been rather miserable there was a lovely log fire in the comfortable sitting roomI loved my cabin where I could have had my own fire, if I had wanted to. The bird watching was superb, the trails very good and easy to walk on. The long drive to the Maya ruins at Caracol well worth the trip. I can highly recommend Hidden Valley..

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

I can recommend Hidden Valley based on the day we spent there hiking. Their property is incredibly impressive, with great hikes and well maintained trails. Although the Inn is a little too upscale for what I am looking for in a jungle lodge, I would have relished the opportunity to spend two full days hiking the trails.

If you want to stay in a jungle lodge, but don't want to do a lot of traveling when you're there, I'd recommend getting a bike and setting off to various trailheads to explore their extensive trail network.

To me, the experience of hiking the HVI trails was up there with ATM (I actually preferred the hiking since we didn't see any other people the whole day, except for three people leaving butterfly falls when we got there.)

Missoula, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

We recently stayed at Hidden Valley and loved it. We were on our honeymoon and were looking for a balance between luxury and adventure. Hidden Valley was perfect. We flew into Belize City and rented a vehicle, which we highly recommend. The drive to Hidden Valley took about 2.5 hours and about an hour of it is on a bumpy dirt road. It's located on a private reserve and you have tons of property to explore. There are miles of hikes and bike rides available. The best is a hike that follows a creek feed by a natural spring. The creek is filled with beautiful waterfalls that you can swim in. They offer a private waterfall rental for a day, but we found there were so few people we had every waterfall to ourselves. There are multiple overlooks viewing the jungle and multiple waterfalls that you can drive to (if don't have own vehicle may need a tour) or you can bike with the complementary bikes. Biking's not for the faint of heart though, we had a blast, but the roads are so bumpy and the bikes have no suspension that if you don't have a sense of humor you may not enjoy it.
The Inn had great food, but their dinners resemble a four course meal. We rarely eat at fancy restaurants and by the end of our 4 night stay we were slightly impatient with the formality of dinner. If you're similar to us i'd recommend maybe stopping at a store before you get to the dirt road and purchasing some snacks to mix it up a little. The bartender Tito was wonderful. He made delicious drinks and was so helpful in answering our questions about Belize.
We were also able to easily drive to Caracol to visit the ruins. We did this in our own vehicle and didn't go on a guided trip. This was the one trip we wished we would have done a guided tour because we could visit the ruins, but didn't know very much about the history. Hidden Valley has wonderful guides that give great tours.
We loved our trip and hope all of you will too!!

p.s. remember the bug spray

1 Thank Elise W
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

I have visited Belize 22 times and know the country fairly well. And off the top I have to confess my interest is wildlife. Hidden Valley Inn has exquisite accommodations - only 12 cabins, beautifully furnished, all with a fireplace - you might think that unnecessary in tropical Belize, but in the Mountain Pine Ridge habitat, the nights can be cool and a fireplace just the right touch to make a perfect evening evening better. I can't say enough about the quality of the food and its presentation and the staff could not be better - friendly, caring and efficient. But i have to return to my primary interest - wildlife. The large Hidden Valley Inn property, to which guests have complete access, is great wildlife habitat. And combined with the help and assistance from staff, it is very accessible. I can honestly say I had what was one of my best days of biriding ever, of all my days in Belize, on my most recent visit to Hidden Valley (March, 2013). With the help of master guide Fredy Pineda my day was packed from sunrise to sunset with birds, pausing only to return to the Inn for terrific meals. Highlights of that day included close views of a pair of Orange-breasted Falcons, Plumbeous Kite, displaying Red-capped Manakin and a male Lovely Cotinga - any birder will agree you can't beat that. Thanks Fredy and thanks Hidden Valley Inn! There are a lot of great places to stay in Belize and I have had the good fortune to stay at a number of them. Hidden Valley Inn is in the very select group of the best Belize has to offer in both accommodations and wildlife.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Wayne H
MILTON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

I travelled here with a friend last August and absolutely loved it. After the long trip from the airport we arrived to staff that treated us with warmth and humility. They would go out of their way to take care of our every need. We took an amazing trip to the pyramids and Freddy was such a delightful guide. Lenny always had a smile and impeccable service. The landscape is so breathtaking and the food delicious. The hotel is a bit older and maybe less refined but still quite comfortable rooms. They do not have air conditioning yet even in August we were comfortable. Definitely want to return!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Cristo Rey
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
#1 of 1 in San Antonio

Been to Hidden Valley Inn? Share your experiences!