“Isolated paradise”
Review of Hidden Valley Inn

Hidden Valley Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Recently returned from a trip to Belize and Guatamela, where Hidden Valley was the best hotel, by far. Food and service was excellent, a great place to rest and relax.
The trip to Caracol with Fredi is a must. The walking trails around the estate are beautiful - ricketty bridges across fast flowing rivers, swimming through waterfalls and a pick up service if you feel the need.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 April 2013

This place is so special. The staff really make it feel quaint and were so accommodating. The food was wonderful and the tours were so intimate. We would go every year if we could....as it is we are counting the days until we visit again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2013

This was the best vacation ...hands down...that I have every had. I went with my mother (66) and my son (8) and all three of us were taken away. The inn was nice and quaint. The staff was really really wonderful though. You are greeted at the front desk with a showing of the property which is very nice (not overdone, just very nice). They are educated and helped us (and we were needy) figure out what all three of us could do together. We were able to do most things always in the accompaniment of a great guide. We went hiking on the trails, to these SPECTACULAR waterfalls where it was just us or just us and the guide. We went to the caves and to see a butterfly farm. Our guide then drove us to the beach where we stopped to zipline. He talked to us about the culture and we all learned so much in a great way. Each night we came in to a slow but fabulous dinner and again, it was like walking in to the family. They treated my son Riley like he was the 'cat's meow' and he ate it up totally! Fredy was our guide for most of the trip. My son literally cried when he dropped us off at the next hotel.

I agree that the road is bumpy and that is an understatement. If you can afford the flight, TAKE IT! But it is well worth it and will be a memory for my family and I that we will hold onto until dementia sets in!

Thank you to the whole team!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KTMacATL
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Last month I invited my best friend for a getaway to Hidden Valley Inn. A few years ago I visited the Lodge, however never stayed there and I was very excited for finally staying there.

We flew with Tropic Air to Maya Flats, which is one of the new domestic airports in Belize, were we got greeted by one of Hidden Valley Inn's drivers. From the airport, it took a little more than 1 hour driving. The ride was a little rough, but nice as we drove trough beautiful nature and also drove trough 2 small villages.

Once arrived at the lodge we got welcomed by the warm staff, who invited us for a refreshing welcome drink and hand massage while checking in.

Our room was spacious, nicely decorated and we even had our own fireplace!
Every morning we were also able to make fresh coffee… but it isn't just coffee, as Hidden Valley Inn grows their own.

During our stay we had to explore the property as they have their own waterfalls and so much more. So we hiked to the Butterfly Fall - and were speechless when we arrived there. Nobody else was there, how exclusive is that! After relaxing at the fall, we took another hike to the Secret Pools. Even I travel a lot, I have never seen such a beautiful place were you can spend time, have lunch and relax in an exclusive way. We had our own mini natural private pool and fall, in the middle of nowhere. Our lunch and beverages were already there when we arrived and the table was set up with crispy white linen, beautiful flowers and hammock!

The culinary part of our stay was also so amazing. The General Manager Natasha is a well known award winning Executive Chef, who spoiled us with such fantastic meals. Every evening the menu changed offering culinary meals made to perfection.

So there was the day we normally had to leave, but because we had such a great time, we decided to stay an additional night. And it was good we did as we were able to upgrade to a Suite. The Suite is amazing - I highly recommend to book the suite, as it has its own private screened patio, and an outside shower.

Hidden Valley Inn is definitely my Hidden Gem! Stay there as the staff gives you excellent service, the food is delicious, excursions are fantastic and accommodations are great!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the Suites as they have their own outside shower, that looks like a mini fall.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Savano
Reviewed 15 April 2013

This review is a little overdue, but my husband and I visited Hidden Valley for 4 nights February 2011 for our honeymoon, and combined it with 4 nights on Ambergris Caye. The ride in was very bumpy, as the road isn't really paved, would recommend taking the charter flight next time from Belize City, as it's only about 20 minutes. We were there during a large spout of forest fires, so that was a little scary as our room was filled with smoke at night, and the entire property had falling ash on it. HOWEVER, the staff took every extra step to inform us and make us feel comfortable despite the circumstances. We hiked to Butterfly Falls during a rainstorm (way better then in the sunshine), rented the waterfall for a day and they had all of the food ready for us down there, including the champagne of course. We did the Barton Cave Tour and the Caracal ruins tour. My husband was definitely along for the ride on those, but the experiences were amazing! Bring TONS of bug spray, as on those excursions I looked like I had chicken pox afterward. We also did the rio falls trip - that was fabulous as you just got to swim around in all of the pools and play in the waterfalls, and stopped in at The Francis Ford Coppola Lodge (we're big winos so that was a neat experience), for a drink. We brought our own wine from the states for dinner as the selection was a bit limited, however the food was excellent, and the chef very personable! If we ever make our way back to Belize, we will be back to Hidden Valley.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the suites with the outside shower. It is SO worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2013

This inn has a beautiful network of trails that isn’t really advertised to the public. It was hardly mentioned in our guide book. Hearing that the inn was strict about trespassers, we went with low expectations, not anticipating being allowed on the trails. We ended up speaking with a very nice staff member who charged us $20USD each, I think, gave us a map and a walkie talkie (to be returned after we were done) and suggested some of the more beautiful/scenic parts of the jungle.

We ended up spending the better part of the day there and had a fantastic time. We ate lunch on an overlook to a waterfall (Tiger Creek Falls Lookouts), then continued driving to a section of the trails that feature a few small waterfalls and pools (the Secret Pools, Clear Creek and Cascade trails). We swam, hiked and took pictures, spending several hours on the property and hardly covering a fraction of the total available hiking territory.

There were even some places we wanted to see, but we didn’t have enough time, including the macadamia fields and coffee banana section.

Though $20pp is a bit steep for a hike, this was money and time well spent in the Cayo. We hardly saw anyone else during our time on the trails. It felt very secluded and natural. Bring a lunch, bathing suit, sunscreen and bug spray and make a morning or afternoon out of it. I think as long as you’re polite and respectful, you will be allowed to hike on the trails.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mmHg
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I stayed at Hidden Valley for three nights, together with a group of birdwatchers. It was my favourite place in Belize - which is one of the best destinations I have ever visited. The accommodation and food was superb and the staff very friendly and helpful. One night when the weather had been rather miserable there was a lovely log fire in the comfortable sitting roomI loved my cabin where I could have had my own fire, if I had wanted to. The bird watching was superb, the trails very good and easy to walk on. The long drive to the Maya ruins at Caracol well worth the trip. I can highly recommend Hidden Valley..

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 3 in Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve
The Lodge at Chaa Creek
The Lodge at Chaa Creek
#5 of 14 in San Ignacio

Been to Hidden Valley Inn? Share your experiences!