“Unbelievably amazing! Didn't want to leave!”
Review of Hidden Valley Inn

Hidden Valley Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Unbelievably amazing! Didn't want to leave!”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

My husband and I came to Hidden Valley Inn for a fun vacation with my brother and sister-in-law and our expectations were far exceeded!

Hidden Valley is located in the Mountain Pine Ridge area on a 7000+ acre private reserve, and every square inch is stunningly beautiful (the online photos just don't do any of it justice). There is roughly a three hour car ride from the airport to the resort but with the fantastic and knowledgable guides (and when I say "knowledgable", I mean they know everything about anything to do with Belize as they take their jobs as guides very seriously), it barely feels like 20 minutes.

You are greeted at the resort to hand massages and lemongrass juice, followed by a tour, and then shown to your room where someone has already brought your bags.

The rooms are clean, screened-in for protection from bugs, and beautifully decorated. However, we didn't spend much time in our rooms as we spent most of our time outdoors hiking on one of their many trails, swimming in the waterfalls, doing the yoga class that was offered by the guest instructor, going on a local excursion (horseback riding at the Mountain Equestrian Trails farm, snapping photos as butterflies landed on us at the butterfly farm, cave touring, eating a traditional Mayan lunch with a Mayan family, visiting Caracol, the Mayan ruins, etc.), hanging out at the pool, or eating the delicious food (seriously, we didn't eat one bad meal) that the resort offers. I read another review where someone complained about the cost of the food, but we have steak houses here in Cincinnati that are more expensive and aren't as good as what we ate at Hidden Valley ($70 a day evens out to about $17.50 per meal if you count the "high tea" portion of the day that they offer in the afternoon (tea/on-site-grown-coffee and snacks between lunch and dinner) and in my opinion, that's cheap!). I also received a deep tissue massage one day while there, and it was phenomenal! They have a great list of massages to choose from at their spa, as well as mani/pedis and facials.

The staff treats you like family and does everything they can to make you feel at home. I've gotten good service at hotels and resorts on previous vacations, but the staff at Hidden Valley actually care about whether or not you're comfortable and having a good time and a good stay while there.

This was the best vacation, by far, that we have been on, and we will definitely be returning to Belize to stay at Hidden Valley!! Highly recommend them!

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

First of all let me say this is a lovely venue, and the quality of the rooms and spa products in the bathrooms are of 5 star quality rather than their alloted 3 star rating. Its also very reasonably priced. You arrive to lemongrass iced tea and handmassages. You're acquainted with the property by the manager. Dinner is served by the pool at night. The staff are friendly and gracious and remember you by name, which is a personal and caring touch. The coffee is grown on the property, as are many of the ingredients used in the dining room. The chef also uses lots of ingredients from local markets and the local mennonite farms.

We were on our honeymoon and our bedroom was covered in beautiful arrangements of melon & peach coloured hibiscus flowers. Complimentary afternoon tea is served everyday between 3pm and 6pm. I was enchanted.

However, there is something that doesn't sit right. You can't shake the feeling that you're being taken for a ride when it comes to the extras on the bill and it leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth. Which is a shame.

The food is just too expensive for what you expect to pay at a three star venue. It is very nice food and I am very supportive of how it is grown and the efforts put into how it is prepared. The chef visits the guests during the evening and that is a very nice touch as you dine poolside by the light of a kerosene lantern. But even given the remote location, it should not be cheaper to eat here in London at a Gordon Ramsay restaurant, than at a three star hotel in a Central American country. And I'm afraid that it is pretty comparable in price. And as you are so far from any other towns or villages, the inn is the only option, so you feel a bit held to ransom. Even if you go with a car, be aware that it will take some time to get to the nearest town.

The excursions are obviously going to cost above the odds, given the remote location of the hotel, but they are just ridiculously expensive. Just to engage in local activites and see local archaeological sites. We just laughed when they quoted us the prices of 270 USD pp to see a local ruin.

Don't get me wrong - it was a wonderful experience in many ways, but there should be a mechanism for warning guests that they will need to budget 70 USD per person per day for food. Not what you expect in a Central American country. We were spending far less at our five star hotel in Belize, also in a remote location, the following week.

On the plus side, the yoga classes are a nice touch and are very good value at 15 USD per class. There are a number of platforms on the property where you can do yoga and mats are provided by the hotel, so you can go solo and do some yoga without lugging along your yoga mat. Also, the hotel provides you with two way radios, so you feel secure as you hike throughout the immense property and numerous trails. Budget in some 'taxi' money if you get exhausted at the end of the walk and need to request a pick up. Its 10 USD pp, which is okay if you're at the far end of the property and it saves a couple of hours walk back!

We stayed for four nights and saw very little wildlife during our stay, so if you're after seeing lots of wildlife, you might be better off spending a little time at the Jungle Lodge in Tikal where toucans, spider monkeys, howler monkeys, etc run riot!

Oh yeah, and take bug repellent. Lots of it. I looked like I had chicken pox by the time I left, I was so covered in bites.

Don't rule Hidden Valley Inn out, because you'll sleep like a baby, love the yoga and eat like you know you should. Just...pad your wallet a bit.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank MrsHarris3
San Pedro, Belize
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This was our second trip to Hidden Valley Inn. We live in San Pedro and decided to take a few days off from our restaurant to explore the mainland some more. We called Hidden Valley Inn from the road and they were gracious and found us a room for that night and the next without any of the trappings you find when booking on line....the front desk staff was excellent. We arrived and immediately we were greeted with a soothing hand massage....such a treat as we were exhausted from taking a quick trip to Rio on Pools just before we checked in and I must say we were pretty grubby...but the staff didn't seem to mind. After our orientation...a quick dip in the most relaxing pool with some of the most interesting bird sightings I have seen in Belize and we were completely won over. Our room was exquisite...with a gorgeous fire place. It was a little warm when we visited, but I do know that it can get chilly up in Mountain Pine Ridge, so I know that the fireplace could come in very handy. Dinner service was perfect....they really know how to cook and I'm a foody, so for me to be impressed, it must be good. Breakfast the next morning...again excellent....a packed lunch by the resort, a quick instruction on the walkie talkies...grabbed a walking stick and away we went. Hidden Valley Inn has some of the most impressive trails and water falls that I have ever seen. Make sure that you check out the King Vulture lookout. Huge falls and king vultures circling to make it picture perfect. Don't miss Butterfly Falls and definetly go for a dip. There are many pools that you can pop into along the way and all of them are breath taking. After about 5 hours of hiking...another relaxing late afternoon in the hot tub and the pool...high tea....some cocktails, a quick nap in our very comfortable king bed and then another fabulous dinner.

Please note...there are many places in Belize and the surrounding Mountain Pine Ridge area that are incredible, but the porperty at Hidden Valley Inn, seems to have the most impressive sights and hiking trails. The general public will never see these sights unless you stay at the resort. It is funny that every publication about the beauty of Belize uses the photo of Butterfly Falls....yet so few have had the chance to view it. We saw no one else the whole time we were hiking....no one...."how awesome is that"?, especially when most of these type of places would be swarming with people....we felt like we were the only ones out there. It is definetly a place for those that love the outdoors, birding, hiking and a staff that takes care of your every whim. They go above and beyond to make you feel like you have been invited into their home and it is a very impressive home with a lodge like feel. Thank you Raul and your whole staff. We feel rejunenated and ready to go back to work. What a great experience.

Room Tip: All if the rooms are great....there are a few with an outdoor shower...which are awesome as well.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jacquelinefldmn
Thornton, Colorado
Reviewed 6 May 2013

My husband and arrived as guests at Hidden Valley Inn and left as family. There are no words to describe our stay at the Inn. If it wasn't enough that the property was a piece of paradise, the staff truly made our adventure complete. From the minute we got there we were pampered and welcomed with hand brewed lemongrass tea and a hand massage. The food was out of this world!! The amount of passion that goes into their food was very evident. And... you must have their doughnuts... unlike anything we have ever had!! YUMMY!! They serve their very own coffee that is grown on the property and served only to their guests. It is a treat!! My husband and I chose to be a bit adventurous and took advantage of their property for hiking and biking and diving off of waterfalls. There was never a dull moment at Hidden Valley Inn. However; if you are looking for a quite get away, Hidden Valley will also serve you well. The birds and the wildlife were absolutely amazing and the top notch guides employed at Hidden Valley knew exactly where and when to go to see these amazing animals. There are endless possibilities of adventure, relaxation, good people, great food and all of this is located on the most secluded property in Belize. If you are wondering if Hidden Valley Inn is the right place for you... think no more. Hidden Valley is by far the most unique and genuine place that I have ever traveled to. You will not regret staying here. My husband and I left a piece of our hears at Butterfly Falls when we left.

Room Tip: All of the bungalows are awesome!!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
San Pedro
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I have just had a baby and her Daddy decided we needed an impromptu trip to the mainland of Belize for some R&R. We were welcomed like family when we arrived at Hidden Valley Inn - all the staff were amazingly helpful, the suite was beautiful - we loved the outdoor shower. So much attention to detail just makes the place magical. I unfortunately lost my wedding ring and everybody went out of their way to find it, I thought it was gone forever but it turned up a few days later! We're eternally grateful! Even with the baby it was a total treat to hike through the acres around the Inn to get to the beautiful waterfalls, a definite must do. I cannot thank everybody enough for making me feel wonderful - thank you Hidden Valley :)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
LA
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Hidden Valley is truly a hidden gem. My husband and I stayed here the first half of our honeymoon and loved it. The food was creative, varied and delicious. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Would highly recommend a private day at Secret Falls, although every bit of their property was beautiful and great for hiking. We also enjoyed massages, Barton Creek Cave, Caracol, Rio On Pools and horseback riding.

A few things to be aware of:
- The rooms have ceiling fans but no A/C. I like a room to be cold for sleeping but if temperature isn't an issue for you then no big deal.
- The birds (and possibly other animals) are VERY loud VERY early in the morning, so bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper.
- The bed seemed pretty small for two people, but then again we're used to a king size bed.
- Load up on bug spray if you go hiking. And use a walking stick. There are some rough and steep paths. Definitely worth hiking around though.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Estate Suite. It's actually two suites that get partitioned off. There's a...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Norfolk
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Recently returned from a trip to Belize and Guatamela, where Hidden Valley was the best hotel, by far. Food and service was excellent, a great place to rest and relax.
The trip to Caracol with Fredi is a must. The walking trails around the estate are beautiful - ricketty bridges across fast flowing rivers, swimming through waterfalls and a pick up service if you feel the need.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
#4 of 13 in San Ignacio
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
#1 of 1 in San Antonio

Been to Hidden Valley Inn? Share your experiences!