My husband and I recently visited Hidden Valley Inn and were beyond thrilled due to the great reviews. On a positive note: The food was absolutely AMAZING and the chefs came out during dinnertime to introduce themselves, which was a really nice gesture. We are real foodies, so when we write that the food was amazing, we mean it.
Unfortunately, the food was the only really great thing about this inn. We had such a miserable experience, which resulted in us leaving the place a couple of days into our stay. We just wanted to have a peaceful and romantic vacation, but the staff kept butting into our business, interrupting our meals, asking us where we'll be spending our time every single day. Additionally, the yoga instructor kept interrupting our meals, as well, attempting to promote her services-it was beyond annoying!
There were many issues which reflected really badly on management. For example: The staff bad-mouthed guests while serving them, thinking that people didn't understand. Well, my husband's first language is Spanish, but the staff was unaware of that and bad-mouthed us and other guests loudly in our presence. There is absolutely no excuse for behavior like that and it reflects on the training, or lack thereof, they received. We travel multiple times a year and never encountered anything as unprofessional as this. Additionally, the staff stood there waiting for tips after every meal, and after every request that was made. Not only that, but if we'd ask for something from the bar, three people started attending us, and then stood there waiting for their tips. It was rude and disgusting. Happens to be, my husband tends to tip hotel employees at the end of our stays, since we hate being busy with carrying money during our vacations. We were going to give some hefty tips, but after the staff's coldness when they realized we weren't tipping, we chose to leave without giving any tips (besides for the chefs, of course).
If that weren't enough, staff kept checking up on us when we were out of our cottage. We were walking and giggling outside one day and a couple of staff members came by to check up on us. I mean, seriously? We're adults and were there to have a nice time, without anyone "babysitting" us. Another thing that was totally unacceptable: We arrived to one of the meals half an hour before the end of mealtime, so for example, if mealtime was 12-2, we arrived at 1:30. The staff made a comment (in Spanish, of course) about us arriving so late, that we shouldn't be served. Not only that, but when they saw us the next day, they "reminded" us that mealtime was between this and this time and that the kitchen will be closing after that time. We were at many all-inclusive resorts and mealtimes (and people) were respected. Even if we'd arrive 2 minutes before the end of mealtime, they would graciously serve us.
Management needs to be uprooted, in our opinion. For things like this to go on....well, it says everything about a place. We switched hotels and were extremely satisfied. As a side note: We never ever had to write a negative review at any of the places we stayed at, so we're not one of those people who could never be satisfied. This place is awful and we wouldn't suggest you see for yourself!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hidden Valley Inn, a Luxury Life Style Boutique Hotel with only 12 rooms, is located on a 7200 acres private reserve in the Mountain Pine Ridge, Cayo District in Belize. This intimate eco resort offers quality accommodation, fine gourmet food and attentive service in a natural environment. The flora, wildlife and bird watching here are truly unique in the region. Guests staying at this Intimate Luxury Boutique Hotel enjoy exclusive access to over 90 miles of hiking and mountain biking trails as well as many secluded Crystal Pools and Waterfalls set in a tropical rainforest. For those seeking romance, one of the waterfalls may be reserved exclusively for the day.Situated in the Maya mountains, also serves as a convenient base for visiting the various scenic and historical attractions of the area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hidden Valley Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hidden Valley Hotel San Ignacio
- Hidden Valley San Ignacio