Hidden Valley Inn
Blancaneaux Lodge(Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve)
US$345
  • Pool
Gaia Riverlodge(Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve)
US$225
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Calico Jack's Village(Seven Miles El Progresso)
US$137
Orbitz.com
US$64
US$123
US$660
US$449
  • Breakfast included
San Ignacio Resort Hotel(San Ignacio)
US$160
US$108
  • Pool
Table Rock Jungle Lodge(Cristo Rey)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbutterfly fallssecret fallsprivate waterfallking vulturesecret poolsthe managerscascade trailhiking trailsour honeymoonhot tubmiles and milesbelize citybird watchingwaterfall showermeal planthe reserveprivate lunch
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed at the Hidden Valley Inn for 3 nights on a tour of Central America and Mexico on a half board basis. The hotel is beautifully located in an extensive area of private reserve within the Mountain Pine Ridge area of Western Belize. There are only 12 rooms / suites and these are charmingly located within the gardens of the main hotel area. Rooms are large with plenty of hanging space and drawers and there are well sized en-suite bathrooms. Umbrellas are provided and these are necessary as the weather can be quite changeable. The restaurant offers good breakfasts and there is an extensive lunch menu and a dinner menu with a choice of main course. Service is excellent and the quality of the food at dinner is very good. The hotel organise various activities both within the property and to outlying areas such as Caracol Archaeological Site. However as a solo traveller, I found that the choice was extremely limited and all I managed was a two hour property tour showing me three delightful look out points for waterfalls within the reserve and numerous bird sightings which were very impressive. As I suffer from vertigo I was quite careful with the activities that I wanted to experience but my request to visit Barton Creek (a local cave area) and the local Butterfly Farm (a listed option) I was met with "We are not doing those today on both days". This was somewhat disappointing. Overall though, the stay at Hidden Valley Inn was a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AnthonyIG
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Following a week on the coast, after much deliberation we decided to explore the centre of Belize through a stay at Hidden Valley. We are very glad we did. Our room was wonderful, with the outdoor shower a very nice touch. The trails are great - some stunning views, waterfalls and total privacy. Tours are also great. We did the trip to Caracol with Rick, one of the best guides I have ever had. Great company, extremely knowledgable on both history and wildlife - as a keen birder he managed to find me a fair few lifers while also teaching us a great deal about Mayan history.

The private waterfall lunch was also a delight, solitude in a beautiful place with nice fresh food and a bottle of wine. Which brings me to the food. Breakfast and lunch are very good, fresh ingredients done well. Evening meals are a little odd though. It is not bad, but when we were there it was also clearly warmed up not cooked fresh - as if the chef prepared things and left others to heat. Hence the soup was great, salads were fine, but the fish and meat not so good. It's odd to have red meat on the menu and not be able to order to taste as 'it is already cooked'. Still, this is a minor point in the overall scheme of things as the food is still 'good', but I understand some saying it is too expensive. It may feel so if you are not all inclusive, but such is the isolation of Hidden Valley it makes no sense not to get meals included and go with the flow.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AndrewKB
Reviewed 21 January 2014

All of the folks at Hidden Valley Inn want to ensure that your stay is fabulous. We requested Freddy as our guide as he makes me laugh and finds the hubby great birds. We saw the orange breasted falcon Male with Freddy and the female twice with Walter which was great. Also saw the short tailed hawk, gray hawk and roadside hawk plus the acorn, lineated, and green love woodpeckers plus lots of other birds. Had rain in the morning but the afternoons were great for birding. It was so cold while we were there we had a roaring fire in the fireplace every night! The waitress there Ofella is just the nicest person at the lodge and the Chef Estella was so nice to make me pumpkin soup for breakfast as I am a soup fiend. The food is fabulous and the drinks made by William in the bar with the Hor'de'ourves provided were wonderful. We hope to be back again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LKelleyFL
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I cannot say enough about HVI. If you're looking for a personal experience where people actually care about you and your experience in Belize, then this is the place to be. They take time and energy to make sure you really have a wonderful experience. It's very apparent that they all take pride in their work and are proud of the Inn itself. The grounds are immaculate...the bungalows are adorable...the hiking trails are amazing...the FOOD was delicious. I can't remember the chef's name, but she's been there over 15 years, I think! The Inn owns over 7000 acres, so you can hike and bike all day and still not see the same thing twice.

From the second Walter picked me up at the airport, to the warm greeting by Miguel and team, to the best guided trip I've ever taken to Caracol by Rick...I just really can't say enough. I travel for a living, so I know the impersonal and apathetic experiences of most hotels. This was NOT that. I actually feel like the became my friends while I was there. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Monique H
Reviewed 5 January 2014

"rude staff", "expensive food" etc… Have been waiting a long time to make the trip to Belize and Hidden Valley. Weather aside (unseasonable, extended rain), Hidden Valley has exceeded expectations. Lovely facility, attentive and friendly staff - all-in-all a very nice jungle lodge managed and maintained to a high standard. Yes, it is out of the way on a long bumpy road but almost all secondary roads in Belize are beaten to death by the extended rains. I rarely go to the trouble of writing reviews - the staff deserves every accolade!! Certainly high end and not for the budget minded but there are plenty of other options for travelers that require that. Come and enjoy!!

Room Tip: The luxury suites have a wonderful screened porches and decadent outdoor showers.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family