“Perfect spot for relaxation”
Review of Gaia Riverlodge

Gaia Riverlodge
Feltham, United Kingdom
“Perfect spot for relaxation”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

A beautiful spot by the river and waterfalls with a perfect set up of deck chairs and hammocks to relax in. The hotels food is good but be prepared to pay US prices. If you have your own vehicle you can do Big Rock, Rio Pools & Butterfly house by yourself. The hotel does have internet but if you have to work don't rely on it as I could not connect several times apart from that the rooms and location of the hotel are perfect.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank lovetotravelcj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Gaia is a piece of heaven that everyone should experience at least once. Yes, the rough dirt road feels like it will never end, but the journey is well worth the reward at the end. The best way to describe the experience is a cross of Jurassic Park and the Jungle Book. The waterfall is absolutely beautiful, and the amount of work that they’ve done to make this otherwise challenging terrain accessible is really impressive. Dining service is first class (I am a New Yorker, and it is obvious that the service staff have been very well trained). I can’t wait to go back for my next adventure!

One word of caution: Although Gaia has made tremendous effort to make the resort safe, there is still an inherent danger to walking on rocks on an uneven grade. If you have older family members who may have difficulty walking on inclines/declines on rocks without hand rails, this may not be the resort for them. Also, I would probably avoid bringing young children here since there are so many potential ways for a youngster to injure themselves.

Room Tip: Cascade is overlooking the waterfall. Magic.
2 Thank EscapeTheCity11106
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Beautiful place to stay. We stayed 4 nights as part of our honeymoon and it was cracking. Staff are professional and friendly and attend to your every need. Food was great and they could not do more for you. packing lunches to allow relaxing time by the waterfall etc. The accommodation was great - we loved looking out on the top of the forest with a beer at sunset listening to the forest come alive! Trips are well run and all guides very knowledgeable. Would recommend!

Room Tip: Did not mean to rate swimming pool and fitness centre! They do not have these but they do have a cra...
1 Thank Makanzi
Reviewed 22 May 2014

But packed with activities! We did a 3 night stay with Gaia in May and had a GREAT time. The staff, the food, and the activities were all wonderful. Special shout out to Calbert who picked us up from the airport and was our guide for 2 days of activities. We saw and learned about Mayan ruins and life, ate a termite, saw monkeys, swam in rivers, canoed over 1km into a cave with skeleton remains, and zip lined just to name a few.
It is a journey from Belize City Airport, and it does take some time getting around in general since the roads are for the most part unpaved. But the country is beautiful and you will get to see a lot of it. The hotel "pool" is a sandy lagoon type area down at the waterfall in the river. When you are down there you will look all around and be absolutely astounded by where you are and what you're doing.
The food was very good, the staff was excellent from start to finish. The rooms were great, there is no AC but honestly we didn't need one what-so-ever. We stayed in the garden view I think, and we had an awesome view of nature and the mountains. I can't see any of the rooms being terrible.
If you are looking for lots of people, this is not for you. If you are looking to pack in a few days of LOTS of sight seeing and then relaxing down on the beaches for the rest of the week, like we did, then I promise you will not be disappointed. My wife and I downloaded some movies on our laptop and of the three nights we were there I think we made it through one entire movie we were so tired every night. Enjoy it, this place is a little gem, we will be back one day!

1 Thank Matt M
London
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is the first place I've stayed where I've been surprised that the place was actually nicer than I was expecting. Service impeccable, good food, everything comfortable. Definitely going back next year! The drive to the lodge is quite long but to be honest you can get views etc like that without a bit of effort.

Room Tip: Waterfall view cabana was great, nice cool breeze at night in April.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank oscar.t.d
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I could tell by the reviews that our stay at Gaia would be a good one, but got way more than I ever expected. My fiancé and I were looking for a vacation where we could unplug and just relax away from people. It is ironic because above everything else from our trip to Belize, the wonderful people we met that work at Gaia Riverlodge by far, made our trip exceptionally memorable. I have stayed many places with great hospitality before but the staff at Gaia are more genuine than I have ever experienced. They were beyond helpful, attentive, thoughtful and even entertaining. The entire property was beautiful, the cabana we stayed in was absolutely gorgeous and the lodge was open, airy and very comfortable. The decks have great views of the waterfall and sunset and are peaceful and a great place to relax. The chef, Troy, is very talented and all of the food was delicious and healthy and the portion sizes were perfect. I did not have a single meal that I did not love. (and we were there for 10 days!) I cannot about forget the delicious cocktails, we tried them all as well!

We did several of the tours and had a blast. The staff was so great at helping us schedule the tours and giving us tons of info on what to expect so we could plan accordingly. Once we returned, they listened to us go on about how amazing our adventures had been, telling them all of the details.The drivers at Gaia all have great personality and tons of knowledge and enthusiasm, which is a big bonus when you are spending a lot of time riding to and from adventures for an hour at a time with them. They try their best to make the long bumpy road in and out of the lodge a good one and it is totally worth the ride in for the beauty and seclusion.

One thing that we really loved about the lodge was that even on the busiest days, it was always quiet and peaceful there. You can sit down by the waterfall in a hammock or bathe in the sun and then take a dip in the water below the falls. (which was the perfect temperature!) The beds were super comfy, the cleaning staff were so detailed and always left us fresh flowers and creative towel arrangements (never saw the same one twice and some were pretty fun) You can really hear the waterfalls in your cabana which was very soothing, especially at night. The grounds were really well maintained and everything was always very clean. Overall, there is not one negative thing I can think of about our trip to Belize because of our stay at Gaia. We had a great time!
I really had an unforgettable experience at the Gaia Riverlodge and wish I could give them more than 5 stars. We will absolutely be staying there again someday.

Room Tip: We stayed in Stream, it was great. I have a feeling all of them are great.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went April 6, for 3 nights along with the package the sister resort Matachica . Gaia Riverlodge is so very well run. You immediately are welcomed with refreshing drink and towels and view and this everlasting view cascading River far below in the lodge where you dine or enjoy drinks. The staff somehow remembers your name and greets you. Nigel the manger along with Javier who was very helpful , and the waitstaff Dabney and Sylvia are so sweet it was a pleasure to chat with them. The tours are exceptional it's just you and your guide so you get so much more out of the experience. Javier arranged for us to have Colbert for 2 days so it was such a pleasure . He is full of information and so pleasant. We went to Carocoal , climbed it was 104• drink plenty of water and take extra with you. We are in late 50's. Also visited RioFrio , Barton Creek all with our guide Colbert. Then finally we ended it zip lining , Colbert left us in good in hands of 2 guides William and other. So much fun. You hike a some climb a little, a bridge to cross. Then you zip line above rain Forrest tree line. If this isn't your thing Colbert will take you to butterfly farm , they do seem have amazing butterflies . It is hot during the day and the lodge is ecofriendly which means no air conditioners but they do have large ceiling fans. At night it drops in temperature so you sleep comfortably. We spent 3 nights I think it was perfect amount of time . We did venture down and swam in the River where they have lounge chairs . It was wonderful as the people at Gaia River Lodge ,we had a great time thank you.
George and Lise

#3 of 3 in Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
#1 of 1 in San Antonio

Been to Gaia Riverlodge? Share your experiences!